Ben Heck Builds a "Military Grade" PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ben Heck Builds a "Military Grade" PS3

Mod master Ben Heck has put his talents to work for the benefit of the troops in Afghanistan, building a "military grade portable PS3" with a 22-inch screen, TV tuner, network switch and more.

working Portal shirt [http://benheck.com]. But his latest project is a bit of a different twist: a portable PS3 designed to stand up to the rigors of military life.

Inspired by Erica and Kris Kokkeby, a gaming couple currently working in Afghanistan as civilian UAV pilots, Heck tore down a PS3 and installed it inside a Pelican Storm iM2600 [http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2600] case. Unlike most of his other portable projects, survivability trumps size in this one; the iM2600 is huge, heavy, rugged, and watertight, able to withstand temperatures ranging from -20 to 140 degrees.

But it's not just a PS3 inside. The ruggedized unit also includes a 22-inch LCD screen, built-in speakers, a TV tuner, network switch to simplify multiplayer and even a compartment to carry around stuff like controllers and games. It's an impressive system, but even more impressive is the amount of work that went into designing and building the thing. Sadly, Heck doesn't put its toughness to the test as I'd hoped he would by, say, throwing it out of a moving car or bludgeoning someone into unconsciousness with it, but it's still fun to watch him put it all together.

MaG iiC 3E

Dec 5, 2010
When his phone went off at around 10:30, I thought he broke the PS3.

Otherwise, he's a pretty handy guy. Hope those guys in the military don't end up shooting the shit out of this one, too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA30EIUb3w If interested.)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
Awesome, but i couldnt help but think it may of been a waste of time?
Life's a waste of time, it always leads to death.

Anyway, another impressive mod, and a funny video to boot. We can rebuild it!

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Dude that is pretty damn sweet, reminds me of the guy who made the 360 laptop.

Edit: I honestly wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I really didn't know it was the same guy.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
This_ends_now said:
Done with a ps3 cause the 360 is too frail and pathetic.
I love trolls. Enjoy your warning/probation/whatever.

Anyway, OT: This is pretty damn cool, I want one.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Amazed I have not seen any of this guy until now. Neat mod and idea. I am curious to know how well it would actually hold up to being banged around and/or dropped. If it stays intact and plays well that would be awesome.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
That is definitely an ideal case for rough conditions. And only 30 pounds, too!
Cool that Ben got sponsors. All the better to do stuff you love to do.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Very good video, concept and execution of said idea. True, the 360 does have its design flaws, but from what I've seen, the PS3 doesn't seem to suffer so many failures. And with it already being gutted, if something should break, might make it a little easier to repair. Would like to have seen the final presentation to the couple who asked for it to get a reaction, but the build was good.