"Benchmark games I may have missed out on", or, "New PC, who dis?"

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
With the decade coming to a close, for better or worse, I decided to make a long desired purchase and gifted myself a desktop PC for gaming. I have been gaming on a laptop for the past 10 years and it's gotten me this far, but with the next generation consoles dropping, the promise of expanded crossplay in the future, and the inevitable advance of its age, I felt like this was the time to make the jump. I don't know much about parts other than what I can find online (thanks pc parts picker!), but the parts I splurged on are:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF Processor
Memory: 32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)

Everything else is pretty generic, or the bare minimum to be compatible with the parts listed above. What I'd like to ask of the community are games you think made a great impact on your gaming habits, whether it was a game you couldn't help but 100%, one that you poured hundreds of hours in online modes, or simply ones that could of been Game of the Year if that other one didn't get picked. I'm pretty much making this PC my last grand purchase for the next 10 years, so I have plenty of time to play catch up. Thanks for your time. I'll try to check back on this thread sooner than I usually do.

Reactions: gorfias

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Something like Metro Exodus will likely prove to be a good workout for your PC, seeing as it has RT support, and you have an RT graphics card. Cyberpunk 2077 is also out in a few days.

That said, I suppose it really depends on what you like playing.

Personally, my favourite games of the past few years, have been the ones that dont require a crazy PC (despite having a crazy PC). For example, I had much more fun playing Hades, which is a game that will apparently run just fine on a 10+ year old CPU/GPU combo, than I had playing the latest and greatest.

For me, I think the beauty of a gaming PC, is being able to play just about anything that you want. Being able to play a game from 1998, right next to a game from 2020 is really cool. Or playing a game from 2010, but cranking everything to max settings, at 4K, and bringing it far beyond the capabilities of when it was released.

If you came from a laptop, i'd honestly look at the best games of the last decade or so. Something that you weren't able to play on your old device, or maybe something that you really liked, but only just scraped by into a playable experience.

There is a lot of really great stuff out there.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
With the decade coming to a close, for better or worse, I decided to make a long desired purchase and gifted myself a desktop PC for gaming. I have been gaming on a laptop for the past 10 years and it's gotten me this far, but with the next generation consoles dropping, the promise of expanded crossplay in the future, and the inevitable advance of its age, I felt like this was the time to make the jump. I don't know much about parts other than what I can find online (thanks pc parts picker!), but the parts I splurged on are:

Everything else is pretty generic, or the bare minimum to be compatible with the parts listed above. What I'd like to ask of the community are games you think made a great impact on your gaming habits, whether it was a game you couldn't help but 100%, one that you poured hundreds of hours in online modes, or simply ones that could of been Game of the Year if that other one didn't get picked. I'm pretty much making this PC my last grand purchase for the next 10 years, so I have plenty of time to play catch up. Thanks for your time. I'll try to check back on this thread sooner than I usually do.
I would suggest getting a great monitor and sound solution to add to your over all experience.
Right now, the 1st game I know of for PC has come out and my rig with it's RX 480 does not meet the minimum specs: "God Fall".

It is amazing looking but I do read that it is only meh as a game.

OTOH, the PC game with which I had the most fun and played the most hours is very old. Skyrim. And it bored me to tears until I started modding it and became obsessed.

Bioshock Infinite was also a hoot, with a new gameplay mechanic of traversing an air city on a skyhook roller coaster sort of thing.

EDIT: Bullet Storm also has a new mechanic: think Mortal Kombat, "Get Over Here!" and then some.

These 3 games all came out over 6 years ago. Your rig will handle it fine.

In fact, you sound future proofed for another generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: blue heartless

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Supposedly, if you want to really put a pc through its paces, then Borderlands 3 on Badass settings at 4K can make even then highest of ends cry for their mommies. Since you have an RT card, you may also consider getting Control to get a taste of raytracing, particularly the hallway of doom.

the bare minimum to be compatible with the parts listed above.
By bare minimum, do you mean the cheapest you could find? If so, I hope that doesn't include the power supply. Because if there is one thing you should never ever ever cheap out on, it's the PSU, on account of a bad one potentially bricking everything else in the build.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Bet it was tough even finding that 2080 if you just built it. Been looking for an RT-ready card for the heck of it after seeing the latest of Cyberpunk: 2077 (which apparently will only support Nvidia cards for that feature at launch) and looks like they’re near-unanimously out of stock. The 3060ti is supposed to offer a huge performance boost at a budget price (sub $500) next week but it will probably be scarcer than a PS5.

Anyways, besides Cyberpunk: 2077 as the best example there’s always Crysis: Remastered (as a joke even by today’s standards, apparently. RIP I guess, Crytek). Really, the Metro game mentioned above is probably best for a shooter that won’t make your GPU think you’re a sadist.

Also might want to check out Red Dead: Redemption 2 as it’s easily one of the best looking games to date in general as far as overall attention to detail.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Supposedly, if you want to really put a pc through its paces, then Borderlands 3 on Badass settings at 4K can make even then highest of ends cry for their mommies. Since you have an RT card, you may also consider getting Control to get a taste of raytracing, particularly the hallway of doom.
Control is a good call, it does look great with RTX to the point where you are at the mirror that looks noticeably worse since you have been playing the game with all these fantastic reflections.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I would suggest getting a great monitor and sound solution to add to your over all experience.
Right now, the 1st game I know of for PC has come out and my rig with it's RX 480 does not meet the minimum specs: "God Fall".

It is amazing looking but I do read that it is only meh as a game.

OTOH, the PC game with which I had the most fun and played the most hours is very old. Skyrim. And it bored me to tears until I started modding it and became obsessed.

Bioshock Infinite was also a hoot, with a new gameplay mechanic of traversing an air city on a skyhook roller coaster sort of thing.

EDIT: Bullet Storm also has a new mechanic: think Mortal Kombat, "Get Over Here!" and then some.

These 3 games all came out over 6 years ago. Your rig will handle it fine.

In fact, you sound future proofed for another generation.
Godfall looks super generic to me. The dual blades are too similar to Kratos' chaos blades with a touch of the twin swords in monster hunter. I like the armor thing and the design philosophy they call "looter-slasher" but overall it looks like a very safe, by the numbers, passable release title. Solid 7/10 but nothing to write home about.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Godfall looks super generic to me. The dual blades are too similar to Kratos' chaos blades with a touch of the twin swords in monster hunter. I like the armor thing and the design philosophy they call "looter-slasher" but overall it looks like a very safe, by the numbers, passable release title. Solid 7/10 but nothing to write home about.
Definitely dont get Godfall. Nooooo do NOT.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Someone else in this forum wrote they turned the bloom up to a 1000. The art design of things like the swords is reminiscent of the design in other games. I've not seen anything this textured and shiney before.

ITMT: I think my RX 480 still meets minimum specs on every other game of which I'm aware... for now. But not this. (Just poorly optimized?)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

By bare minimum, do you mean the cheapest you could find? If so, I hope that doesn't include the power supply. Because if there is one thing you should never ever ever cheap out on, it's the PSU, on account of a bad one potentially bricking everything else in the build.
Yeah I’m with Chimpzy my dude, if you got only a basic ***** power supply you are gonna have a bad time. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but you will.

On a lighter note, if you download the demo for Rise of the Tomb Raider, it has an inbuilt benchmarking tool you can use. It’s basic but hey, demo is free.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah I’m with Chimpzy my dude, if you got only a basic ***** power supply you are gonna have a bad time. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but you will.

On a lighter note, if you download the demo for Rise of the Tomb Raider, it has an inbuilt benchmarking tool you can use. It’s basic but hey, demo is free.
Yeah I kinda overlooked that comment on everything else being generic.

Check out the basic tab on this site or here if you bought stuff off Newegg for something more brand-specific in terms of components.

Think of it like if the motherboard is the central nervous system, and the CPU is the brain and GPU is the eyes, then the PSU would be the heart of your system. Don’t settle for a weak heart.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Well, I definitely pumped hours into Overwatch and Diablo 3. OW is visually very striking on high settings, and similar to other top down games D3 kind of requires you to have it on decent settings to really get a handle on what you're seeing - particularly at the endgame where so much shit is onscreen at any given time that you may struggle to identify the smaller enemies you kill as they come in tightly packed waves.

Elite Dangerous can also be very beautiful between tracts of void and high settings helps there although they aren't critical to enjoy it. Its also free right now still I think.

I haven't played the newest DOOM, but DOOM 4 is a fantastic game that looks good and plays fun. Very run and gun, well paced.

Fallout 4/Fallout New Vegas/The Outer Worlds are all good games that look good - they're grouped cause they all kind of scratch the same itch. You probably can just pick one of them, but if you do like the good old "wander around, collect shit and play your own game" situation then you'll likely enjoy them.

Dark Souls 3 is a good game if you like Souls games, and benefits from high settings as well since a lot of the storytelling comes through visuals. The artwork, modelling and art direction are all very high quality.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Someone else in this forum wrote they turned the bloom up to a 1000. The art design of things like the swords is reminiscent of the design in other games. I've not seen anything this textured and shiney before.

ITMT: I think my RX 480 still meets minimum specs on every other game of which I'm aware... for now. But not this. (Just poorly optimized?)
Yeah the visuals are fine on a technical level but the art design is generic as all hell and super uninspired to me. Talking Kingdoms of Amalur levels generic. Maybe it's more of a tech-demo or something?

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
First, I'd like to thank you all for your thoughtful replies! All of the games mentioned (even the less reputable ones) have all been put on a list for future inquiry.

Secondly, I'd like to address Chimpzy, Gordon_4, hanselthecaretaker, and any future poster that may be concerned. While I did refer to my parts selection as "generic", I did keep in mind the performance of the system. The PSU I purchased, "700 Watt - High Power - 80 PLUS Gold", is 50 watts greater than the recommended minimum that PC Parts Picker would suggest. A beast it may not be, but sufficient for its purpose is. (Was that even English?)

In the same breath, but also in a different indentation, I'd like to reply to gorfias; The monitor I've chosen is the Sceptre IPS 24" Gaming Monitor (165Hz). I'm not confident of its quality compared to others, but I was satisfied with the product reviews and am happy with it.

As it was suggested by laggyteabag, I will be looking through the games that have been considered the "Best of the Year" over the last few years. I do already own some games in that similar category of titles (Skyrim comes to mind) and will also be picking up some older titles as well. I haven't played Crazy Taxi in [redacted] years!

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Do all these miners provide any greater benefit to anything or anyone beyond themselves? Like Folding @ Home does for medical research? Because if not, that seems like a shitty, class action-worthy thing to do on Nvidia’s part. The article makes it sound like they have some elite, vital status of sorts within in the tech community, when I though they were basically the techie equivalent of day traders. Seems like the goal here was just to make their balance sheet look extra impressive to shareholders this qtr.

Last edited:

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Try out Total War: Warhammer 2
Eh, it's a game from 2017 and my junky laptop can run it on ultra unit scale (if not fully maxed out graphically). It's only really a test of the processor to see if it can handle four trash stacks plus with blood & gore turned on.

Red Dead Redemption 2 maxed out, perhaps?