Benedict Cumberbatch is Officially Marvel's Doctor Strange

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
Benedict Cumberbatch is Officially Marvel's Doctor Strange


At long last, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has its Sorcerer Supreme

After what has seemed like an eternity of Sherlock's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138239-Marvel-Casting-Benedict-Cumberbatch-as-Dr-Strange] Benedict Cumberbatch to play the title character in Doctor Strange.

While Cumberbatch's likelihood in the role has been known for some time, it was only today that Marvel officially confirmed him for the role to The Hollywood Reporter. [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/benedict-cumberbatch-officially-confirmed-as-754034] Marvel boss Kevin Feige says that the highly sought-after actor will "show audiences what makes Doctor Strange such a unique and compelling character."

Created in 1963 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange is a brilliant but arrogant surgeon brought low when an accident damages his reflexes and robs him of his gift. He seeks out the aid of an ancient mystic, and after unexpectedly saving the old man's life, is drafted to become a master of magic in order to protect Earth from supernatural threats. The 2016 film from director Scott Derrickson is expected to be one of the cornerstones of Marvel's "Phase 3" slate of feature films.


Source: Marvel [http://marvel.com/news/movies/23754/benedict_cumberbatch_to_play_doctor_strange]


[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Permalink
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
Sherlock Holmes, Smaug, Kahn, and now Dr Strange.

Damn this man is getting some good roles, can't wait to see him in the MCU :D

Not familiar with Dr Strange but i am definitely on bored!
 

Daaaah Whoosh

New member
Jun 23, 2010
1,041
0
0
At this point, isn't it a bad idea for Marvel to keep getting big names in their movies? I mean, it's not like they need anything other than 'by Marvel Studios' to get people to show up at the theatres, and I don't even want to know how much it costs to book Cumberbatch these days, let alone keep him available for sequels.

That said, he's an actor I have no problems with, and I'm sure he'll do justice to the role. So, overall, meh.
 

prowll

New member
Aug 19, 2008
198
0
0
*sighs, shakes head, and throws wad of paper over shoulder* There go my hopes and dreams of THAT being worth a damn...

In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
 

oldtaku

New member
Jan 7, 2011
639
0
0
I look forward to seeing Bombadil Cuddlesnoot with Dr. Strange's evil/prim little mustache and goatee.
 

fix-the-spade

New member
Feb 25, 2008
8,639
0
0
prowll said:
In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
In 2016 he'll be 40, that's old enough to play Stephen Strange, just about.

On a more serious note, a British actor getting a major Hollywood role that isn't as a bad guy, comic relief and isn't a sir? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS!?

Oh right, strange magic indeed.
 

JagermanXcell

New member
Oct 1, 2012
1,098
0
0
That's great news and all but whose Shuma Gorath?
Nothing would make me grin harder than someone coming up to a big name actor and asking them if they'd like a role in a Marvel movie as a green cyclops tentacle monster.

Otherwise congrats to Holmes man, i'm sure he'll do fine.
 

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
3,028
0
0
JagermanXcell said:
That's great news and all but whose Shuma Gorath?
Nothing would make me grin harder than someone coming up to a big name actor and asking them if they'd like a role in a Marvel movie as a green cyclops tentacle monster.

Otherwise congrats to Holmes man, i'm sure he'll do fine.
Would that really be much stranger than asking Vin Diesel to play a somewhat sentient tree thug? I mean... yeah,typecasting and all that, but still...
 

Jakabok

New member
Oct 23, 2014
7
0
0
Scars Unseen said:
JagermanXcell said:
That's great news and all but whose Shuma Gorath?
Nothing would make me grin harder than someone coming up to a big name actor and asking them if they'd like a role in a Marvel movie as a green cyclops tentacle monster.

Otherwise congrats to Holmes man, i'm sure he'll do fine.
Would that really be much stranger than asking Vin Diesel to play a somewhat sentient tree thug? I mean... yeah,typecasting and all that, but still...
Groot is plenty sentient, thank you very much. He's just not especially verbose.
 

theNater

New member
Feb 11, 2011
227
0
0
Daaaah Whoosh said:
At this point, isn't it a bad idea for Marvel to keep getting big names in their movies? I mean, it's not like they need anything other than 'by Marvel Studios' to get people to show up at the theatres, and I don't even want to know how much it costs to book Cumberbatch these days, let alone keep him available for sequels.

That said, he's an actor I have no problems with, and I'm sure he'll do justice to the role. So, overall, meh.
If they want people to keep showing up, they need to keep making good movies. That requires hiring good actors, especially for the starring roles. While actors who are good but not famous would be more cost-efficient, those are few and far between. Better to pay out for a big name(and keep the cash rolling in) than to tank the franchise by going for a crappy but cheap actor.
 

Mr. Q

New member
Apr 30, 2013
767
0
0
Well, the worst kept secret has finally come out.

Meanwhile, in an unrelated story, all of Tumblr's servers melt down for an unexplained reason. ;P
 

JarinArenos

New member
Jan 31, 2012
556
0
0
I'll wait until there's more promo material released to form any real opinions, but... I'm really having trouble seeing Bitchin' Cumberbund as Dr. Strange.
 

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
42
0
0
oldtaku said:
I look forward to seeing Bombadil Cuddlesnoot with Dr. Strange's evil/prim little mustache and goatee.
This is probably what I'm looking forward to the most from this movie.
 

sleeky01

New member
Jan 27, 2011
342
0
0
fix-the-spade said:
prowll said:
In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
In 2016 he'll be 40, that's old enough to play Stephen Strange, just about.

On a more serious note, a British actor getting a major Hollywood role that isn't as a bad guy, comic relief and isn't a sir? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS!?

Oh right, strange magic indeed.
Additionally it's my hope that he keeps his accent and not use an American one (Is Dr. Strange american?)
 

ShirowShirow

New member
Oct 14, 2010
206
0
0
EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh.

I'm somewhat interested in the Doctor Strange movie, but this isn't selling me on it. I'm sure he'll do a fine job... But the number one selling point on actors in the MCU so far has been ENTHUSIASM. Both on and off the set. Benedict doesn't really feel to me like he'd be particularly... Fun? I dunno.

He's also ubiquitous now. Absolutely ubiquitous. (Princess Bride quote can go here.)
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
sleeky01 said:
fix-the-spade said:
prowll said:
In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
In 2016 he'll be 40, that's old enough to play Stephen Strange, just about.

On a more serious note, a British actor getting a major Hollywood role that isn't as a bad guy, comic relief and isn't a sir? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS!?

Oh right, strange magic indeed.
Additionally it's my hope that he keeps his accent and not use an American one (Is Dr. Strange american?)
He is American. So it wouldn't make much sense, but I wouldn't see a harm in it either.

OT: I'm down for this. I love the character. I am anxious to see how the rest of the MCU handles magic. I mean, you can go all you want with super technology that seems like magic (Mjolnir), but this is just plain old magic. That will piss some people off, no doubt.
 

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,028
1,393
118
Country
Texas
Baresark said:
sleeky01 said:
fix-the-spade said:
prowll said:
In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
In 2016 he'll be 40, that's old enough to play Stephen Strange, just about.

On a more serious note, a British actor getting a major Hollywood role that isn't as a bad guy, comic relief and isn't a sir? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS!?

Oh right, strange magic indeed.
Additionally it's my hope that he keeps his accent and not use an American one (Is Dr. Strange american?)
He is American. So it wouldn't make much sense, but I wouldn't see a harm in it either.

OT: I'm down for this. I love the character. I am anxious to see how the rest of the MCU handles magic. I mean, you can go all you want with super technology that seems like magic (Mjolnir), but this is just plain old magic. That will piss some people off, no doubt.
I mean, they let Chris Hemsworth keep his Australian accent for Thor. I don't think nationalities are high on Marvel's list of priorities.
 

VoidWanderer

New member
Sep 17, 2011
1,551
0
0
prowll said:
*sighs, shakes head, and throws wad of paper over shoulder* There go my hopes and dreams of THAT being worth a damn...

In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
Sean Connery was arguably one of the best James Bonds, Patrick Stewart played on ofe the greatest Star Trek captains. Hell, Dawson Casting is a freaking trope! And your problem is with his age?
 

VoidWanderer

New member
Sep 17, 2011
1,551
0
0
prowll said:
*sighs, shakes head, and throws wad of paper over shoulder* There go my hopes and dreams of THAT being worth a damn...

In serious, I'm sure it'll be 'fine', but damnit, HE'S TOO YOUNG FOR THE ROLE.
Sean Connery was arguably one of the best James Bonds, Patrick Stewart played on ofe the greatest Star Trek captains. Hell, Dawson Casting is a freaking trope! And your problem is with his age?
 

iblis666

New member
Sep 8, 2008
1,106
0
0
interesting i wonder what he would look like sporting grey hair at his temples and a vandyke plus it might be interesting to have doctor strange with an english accent even if he is supposed to be american