Beowulf DW reviews "Heroes of the East"

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
I?m no expert when it comes to Kung Fu films. The truth is that I?ve seen only a few. However, as a martial artist and a student of the liberal arts, I?d like to think that I know a good martial arts film when I see one. Therefore, I?d like to think that ?Heroes of the East? is a good film, maybe even a classic.

?Heroes of the East? was released in 1979, directed by Lau Kar-Leung, and distributed by Shaw Brothers Studio. It stars the legendary Gordon Liu as Ah To, a skilled Kung Fu student, whose father has arranged a marriage between him and Kung Zi (Yumiko Kôda in Japanese). Kung Zi is a childhood acquaintance of Ah To, and the daughter of a Japanese business man. After some initial reluctance, Ah To agrees to go through with the marriage. Our hero soon learns that his new bride is a skilled martial artist in her own right, however Ah To thinks that her Japanese styles are unladylike and immodest, and he suggests that she learn some of the more feminine styles of Kung Fu. This sets off a series of duels between the couple, pitting Chinese martial arts against their Japanese counterparts. As the couple?s frustration with each other builds, their debate extends beyond martial arts and into the cultures of Japan and China. Kung Zi becomes so furious that she returns to Japan. Ah To, realizing that he must make amends, yet still struggling to swallow his pride, sends a letter to Kung Zi insulting Japanese martial arts and daring her to return to China to prove him wrong, in the hopes that once she arrives they can settle their differences. However, Kung Zi?s teacher, the ninja master Takeno, reads the message first, and calls for a gathering of Japan?s greatest masters. Unable to stand Ah To?s insults, they select a team of masters from several different martial arts (i.e. kendo, karate, judo, etc.) to travel to China with Kung Zi and teach Ah To some respect. Ah To is then forced to engage in several duels, during which he and Kung Zi realize how foolish they were and reconcile.

?Heroes of the East? is unique, because unlike a great deal of Chinese cinema that portrays the Japanese as villains, the Japanese characters and martial arts are portrayed with respect and dignity. Additionally, the director apparently insisted that none of the fights ended in death. I should also mention that there is no wire-fu in this movie, which I consider a point in its favor. I love see impossible feats of martial prowess as much as the next guy, but seeing real techniques in realistic fights is refreshing, to say the least.

Ah To?s character development also caught my interest. He is very proud as a marital artist and as a Chinese. Most of his development centers on realizing that his pride has caused major problems in his marriage, his family, and, as his own teachers note, the martial arts world. It?s possible that director Lau was trying to send a message about the relationship between Japan and China with this movie. Ah To and Kung Zi embody the pride of their respective nations, and this pride creates severe conflict and misunderstanding where once there had been happiness. It is only by mutual respect that the conflict is finally resolved.

I?d recommend ?Heroes of the East? to anyone who enjoys martial arts and Hong Kong action films, even if this film is rather obscure.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Good review, my only comment would be to make them a bit longer, and add pictures.

But otherwise it was a pleasure to read.