Best and worst games so far this year

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
So tell me escapist, what are your top 3 games so far this year and what game has been the worst or biggest disappointment?

for me my top 3 so far would be:
1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Alice Madness Returns
3. Portal 2

and as for the worst i would have to say Limbo

Dec 14, 2009
So far?

Best: Deus Ex: HR
Shout outs go to Marvel vs Capcom 3, Motorstorm Apocalyspse, Dead Space 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, inFamous 2 and Portal 2.

Worst game goes to Brink. I was expecting so much from this game, but instead got a shitty TF2 clone with crap mechanics, shit online play and some of the worst maps designed by mankind.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Well, I got both within a week of each other, so that juxtaposition might be making my opinions more polarized.

Best: Deus Ex: Human Reovlution
Worst: PC version of From Dust

Liquidcool

Jun 5, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Best - Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but that's because there wasn't any real competition yet.

Worst - Dragon Age 2, and by far. A non-effort on so many levels, an insult to gamers.
That is a load of horseshit. DA2 was awesome, and your comment is an insult to the developers.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Liquidcool said:
Hammeroj said:
Best - Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but that's because there wasn't any real competition yet.

Worst - Dragon Age 2, and by far. A non-effort on so many levels, an insult to gamers.
That is a load of horseshit. DA2 was awesome, and your comment is an insult to the developers.
No , i agree DA2 was terrible and poorly developped , i don't blame the developpers though, i blame EA for rushing the game .

So yeah for me it's

Best : catherine , truly a breath of fresh air for the gaming industry at the moment

Worst : Dragon age 2 . I bought it on day 1 ( which is rare ) i had fun with it , but it was a poorly made game , recycled environements , shitty story , fun gameplay.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Best: Terraria, Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Worst: Mindjack (rented it for a drinking game early this year. Holy shit is it bad.)

How funny that there are two Squeenix-published games on this list, in opposite corners.
EDIT: Taking shots for every person who cites Duke Nukem Forever as the "worst".
Shots of what, I do not know yet.

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
Best:
L.A. Noire
Portal 2
Dead Space 2

Worst:
Bodycount
Duke Nukem Forever
Call of Juarez: The Cartel

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well seeing as I tend to veer away from crappy games (in my opinion), I don't have many that can go into "worst".

Best would be:

The Witcher 2 - Best fucking RPG I've played in years and had me hooked from beginning to end. There was nothing I really disliked about this game save for a few technical issues that were cleared up in later updates. I eagerly look forward to the 3rd game and see how things will unfold. It's Choices and Consequences put every other current day RPG that flaunts that attribute to shame. Overall and excellent RPG and I look forward to patch 2.0 at the end of the month which adds Dark mode (with dark gear), and arena mode. Will make for a fun and challenging 3rd playthrough.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Another really good RPG with great story and gameplay. It had great pacing, fun gameplay, and hell I liked the boss fights. I don't mind that the game looked a little dated, the art direction was still excellent. It was like if they brought the original Deus Ex into the modern generation and fixed all the tedious aspects of it.

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together - Just like the other two entries, excellent story, deep and satisfying gameplay. I love SRPGs, I love political drama, and I loved FF Tactics; and this is what you get when you put all three together. I've always loved Tactics Ogre and this enhanced remake was just great.

Worst? Well....

The Third Birthday - Seriously....WHAT THE FUCK!? They resurrected Parasite Eve only to shoot it right in the fucking face. Thank Motomu Toriyama, you've added another abomination to your resume to give all the more reason you should not be allowed to write.

I'd also put Duke Nukem here as well, but I didn't play it. I knew it was going to be shit anyways, and I wasn't surprised one bit at the critical reception is garnered.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Best: Deus Ex HR
Portal 2

Worst: Dragon Age 2. Had such high hopes for this game, even got the Signature edition. Dissapointed. The combat was quite good, everything else just seemed half-arsed.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Best game for me now is currently Deus Ex: HR (wow, I'm original!) but I'm 100% certain that either ME3 or Saints Row 3 and my money is on that ME3 will win

Coming up with the worst game for this year is a lot harder because I haven't played any games this year that got below the "Pretty good" rank but if pressured I'd say F.E.A.R. 3 but it wasn't a truly bad game at all it only had the one problem it had was that it was almost not scary in any way except for that one bit near the end but otherwise I enjoyed it very much

But to compensate for not coming up with any actually shitty games I'll add what the worst game I ever played which is a tie between Mirrors Egde and Psychonaughts

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
I don't think I liked anything that came out this year. In fact I don't think I've purchased a single game from the past 2 years, save for games that have been out for 3 years and and got them for like $20 at walmart

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
The best 2011 release I've played so far is Monday Night Combat, a third-person class-based shooter that borrows heavily from Defense of the Ancients and its ilk. The worst 2011 release I've played so far is Catherine, a pretentious, convoluted puzzle game that has an awkward relationship simulator tire-ironed into it and has the gall to expect me to care about a clutch of completely unlikeable characters.

...and Katherine. Katherine was actually quite charming.

Arioch13

Jun 9, 2011
Ib my opinion, this needs a console thread and a PC thread. More differences in the play demographic between these formats than simularities.

BF3 Alpha: PC. Just wow. This is what we need. Proper games coded for the PC which really show the state of the art and blend the technical capability of a game coded for the format with great gameplay.

Civilization V: Ok so its more of the same. But if the formula is great why fix it. Have seen enough of what happens when companies take a classic series (Command and conquer - Dawn of war) and try to simplify them so the ADHD afflicted can play them) ie: End of a classic series. Glad Civilization didnt do that. Its more of the same, yes but it has enough new bells and whistles to satisfy me that I got value for money. I am sure I will still be playing it next year.

Best game (though sort of cheating): yet more oblivion modding maddness. Never found a game that seems to last forever before. Although its not really my game of this year. The mod community have made this into a never ending always open experience.

Best game: liked Dead Space 2. Surprising as I really disliked the first. Bought it after trying it at friends and wasnt disappointed. Had some good atmospheric moments.

Worst game: The witcher 2. Taken TW1. made it console friendly and a more casual experience. For me that meant linear, plagued with problems for some time after launch and removed the death and more open environment present in the first.

Brink: Ok maybe this was aimed at 5 year olds and I just misunderstood the marketing. Just awful in everyway except for the graphics.

Fear 3. Liked the first 2. Uninstalled this trash way before the end. Bad gameplay, absolute no atmospher so *cough No fear whatsoever. The end of a fun if not particularly original series. Much like TW2 this was a huge retrograde step in gameplay.

I suspect that some of my least favourite games will be some of the console gamers favourites in many cases. These games were largely designed for a different market and a different type of gamer. Hence the lack of effort and poor console ports for many games. They are just maximising proft and trying to maximise the investment for minimal effort (in most cases). Probably better to split this in to 2 threads.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I don't know. I haven't played any bad games.
So far, games I've loved this year: Dragon Age 2, Portal 2, Alice: Madness Returns, Catherine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, LA Noire...

I guess the worst game I played from this year is Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Sooooo unfinished.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
In no particular order,

Best: Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Worst: Portal 2 and LA Noire

I'm expecting good things from Infamous 2 (when I start playing it), Uncharted 3 and Arkham City.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Best:

Catherine - Believable, stylish character drama with tough, fun gameplay and awesome music? Yes, please.

Portal 2 - It's Portal 2. Everyone has said everything about this game already.

Bit.trip RUNNER - Rhythm game/platformer with excellent presentation.

Worst:

Dawn of War II: Retribution - After the slightly more RPG-flavored gameplay of Chaos Rising, I was hoping it would follow that path further. Instead, it regressed to being a slightly more boring DoW II. Not a fan of multiplayer, so this expansion was a waste for me.

Terraria - Not a bad game, actually. For whatever reason, it failed to keep my attention like Minecraft did.

Hyperdimension Neptunia - An amusing concept with a lot of interesting ideas marred by horrible design decisions. People have been saying it isn't "that bad", and they may be right, but I don't feel any strong need to go back and try again. I wanted to like this game from the start, and even then I gave up pretty early on.