Best and worst gun feel

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
IMHO, satisfying guns can make or break a game, especially shooters (go figure.) In my day, I've encountered guns that give off the deafening crack of Mr. T slamming a door, and some with the gentle pew pew pew of salt being shaken onto a plate. In your opinion, what games offer the best and worst penis substitutes?

After much deliberation, I'm giving my "best" to the Resivil 4 shotgun, especially when you upgrade it. One thunderous crack and suddenly that plagas zombie is missing his top half. Breaks my heart when I run out of ammo and have to switch to something else.

Worst has to go to either Fallout 3/NV or Borderlands. For such a gun-centric game, I haven't found a single gun in BL1 or 2 that gives you that "FUCK YEAH!" rush. When you don't feel the right amount of punch with a double-barreled exploding buckshot shotgun, you're doing something wrong.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
I really love the feel of the weapons in the Far Cry games, even after 20 hours of endless combat they are still a joy to shoot. Also the sounds and animations are awesome as well. Same goes for Counter-Strike... I played some 650 hours of Source and I never got tired of it, and the sound it makes when you quick switch, I could record that and use it for white noise I love it that much... and don't get me started on the AK-47, that's my video game weapon penis substitute of choice... that or you know, the BFG from Doom, size matters.

As for worst, that I can think of off the top of my head anyway... Probably Bioshock 1/2, I love these games but I really hated the shooting, the shotgun and crossbow were about the only weapons I had any fun using, which led me to pretty much electric bolt + wrench just about everything the entire way through the game.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Best? Bad Company 2. The best gun sound/feel I've ever seen in a game before.

Worst? Fallout 3 and it's not even close. They're hilariously bad.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AndrewF022 said:
As for worst, that I can think of off the top of my head anyway... Probably Bioshock 1/2, I love these games but I really hated the shooting, the shotgun and crossbow were about the only weapons I had any fun using, which led me to pretty much electric bolt + wrench just about everything the entire way through the game.
Bioshock 2 actually felt pretty satisfying, because enemies weren't such massive damage sponges after the halfway point. Granted, the machine gun, grenade launcher, and drill were the only really useful weapons as the rivet gun became a pea shooter after you got the machine gun and the shotgun didn't have any advantages. And the spear-thrower, while theoretically fun, was hard as hell to aim properly...

Bioshock had pretty pathetic gun-feel though, especially approaching "the twist" and afterward. Enemies shouldn't be able to take three point-blank shotgun blasts to the face and still be shouting psychotically at me.

Conversely, Bioshock Infinite has fantastic gun-feel in my opinion. Some of the best sounding guns I've ever heard, and there's a lot of weight behind firing the hand cannon and shotgun. Even the starting pistol, replaceable as it is, gives off a satisfying crack when fired.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
CityofTreez said:
Worst? Fallout 3 and it's not even close. They're hilariously bad.
Truth. All the guns in that game are popcorn poppers. The only weapons even remotely satisfying are the explosives. (And the power fist, if you have "bloody mess...")

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Best: Fallen Earth.
When the game launched your initial guns were essentially souped up paintball guns. Some levels later I'd learned the skills and collected the materials to be able to make two revolvers (and the bullets.) Firing them off for the first time was immeasurably satisfying.

(Though I held onto my air rifle for a long time afterward for easy kills. Life is cheap. Bullets are expensive.)

They've changed it since then and the early guns are a bit better than they used to be. Not surprising really, since one of the most frequent complaints in the Help Channel was "When do I get a REAL gun?"

Worst: Fallout 3. Even more so since effective shooting without VATS is nearly impossible.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Ye olde shotgun in Perfect Dark still resounds to me as one of the more fantastic weapons to shoot.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Sixcess said:
When the game launched your initial guns were essentially souped up paintball guns. Some levels later I'd learned the skills and collected the materials to be able to make two revolvers (and the bullets.) Firing them off for the first time was immeasurably satisfying.

(Though I held onto my air rifle for a long time afterward for easy kills. Life is cheap. Bullets are expensive.)

They've changed it since then and the early guns are a bit better than they used to be. Not surprising really, since one of the most frequent complaints in the Help Channel was "When do I get a REAL gun?"

Worst: Fallout 3. Even more so since effective shooting without VATS is nearly impossible.
Fallen earth was fucking boss. It was THE ONLY mmorpg that has held my attention for an extended period of time just because it feels so satisfying to advance in the game. Like making your very own motorcycle, so good :D

I believe I had an assault rifle and a long range bolt action rifle. I made my own bullets because yeah... They were so expensive.

Oh yeah, bad gun feel, I'm gonna have to go with Farcry 2 just because of the constant jamming which turned into a mini QTE "Press X to unjam" or some shit like that. Oh and Fallout 3 + NV have bad gun feel if you don't hit the enemies in the head at least. Because some of those enemies are absolute bullet sponges. It feels like you are shooting jelly tots at them rather than bullets with the amount of damage some of those weapons do....

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Best?

I'm making meaningful glances towards Bioshock Infinite (dat hand cannon, I love dem revovlovlers) and Half Life 2 (BEST. SHOTGUN. EVER.). But those are waaay too specific to be adopted as general examples.

Hmn, actually, Half Life 2 is still coming to mind. Then again I don't really play that many shooters, come to think of it; and the older and more obscure once I have played don't really have all that fantastic 'gun feel', though I remember Blood being the best of the bunch.

Worst?

Easy target, but CoD Black Ops. Weediest sounding and feeling gunplay I've experienced in a vidyagame, nothing that disappoints me more than a weedy shotgun. Gears of War had a few more misses than hits in my memory, though the timed reload thing makes up for it, and the Torque Bow was sweet-tits.

And to give an older example, Redneck Rampage comes to mind.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
One of my favorite guns ever is the Halo: Combat Evolved assault rifle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsRpqdSmS04&t=0m08s]. Not only was the sound itself nice and beefy, but even more importantly, the high rate of fire (amplified by its sixty-round clip) and blinding, rapid-fire muzzle flash made it incredibly satisying to spray enemies with. Compare that to the pitiful Halo 3 assault rifle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViznEXrgpAk&t=0m08s], with its criminally reduced clip size, rate of fire, and muzzle flash on top of the fact that it sounds like an automatic staple gun. Ugh. (The Battle Rifle sound also got a noticeable downgrade in that game compared to the Halo 2 version, though not to the same extent.)

Also, no discussion of excellent gun feels can go without mention of every single weapon in Painkiller, which is probably the only thing that kept me from straight-out naming the Halo: CE assault rifle as my all-time favorite.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
lRookiel said:
Sixcess said:

Fallen earth was fucking boss. It was THE ONLY mmorpg that has held my attention for an extended period of time just because it feels so satisfying to advance in the game. Like making your very own motorcycle, so good :D

I believe I had an assault rifle and a long range bolt action rifle. I made my own bullets because yeah... They were so expensive.

Oh yeah, bad gun feel, I'm gonna have to go with Farcry 2 just because of the constant jamming which turned into a mini QTE "Press X to unjam" or some shit like that. Oh and Fallout 3 + NV have bad gun feel if you don't hit the enemies in the head at least. Because some of those enemies are absolute bullet sponges. It feels like you are shooting jelly tots at them rather than bullets with the amount of damage some of those weapons do....
"You serious? Really game?"

"What?"

"This guy is tanking at least 5 pointblank range shotgun shells and he's not even wearing a shirt..."

"Yeah Fallout 3/NV does that"

Seconded. Except the grenade launcher. Oneshot people all day with that baby :3

Say what you want about the game, Bulletstorm had the most BADASS shotgun ever made. The Drillgun later on ended up with me making Gurren Lagann references after every other kill XD

Oh and I can mention Noel's infamous FENIR in BlazBlue. The best random super in fighting game history. The Nemesis Stabiliser finisher is fucking awesome.

Trying to rush down Noel?! Here have giant gun, fuck you :3

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Ah... here I was coming in to talk up the Mosin Nagant and talk down a Remington .270 hunting rifle whose model escapes me... or talk up the Glock 21 and talk down the Taurus G2.

For shooters, though... I really liked the feel of the guns in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Just enough authenticity to make you feel like a badass without watering down the gameplay. Worst... I think it was the original Soldier of Fortune. Not sure if that was the one, but the guns were all horribly underpowered, tended to sound hollow, and the recoil felt incredibly fake.

Honorable mention for RTS guns-
Direct-fire-
Best: Dawn of War
Worst: Rise of Nations

Artillery-
Best: Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Worst: Command and Conquer: Red Alert

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Best gun feel: When it's in my hand.
Worst gun feel: When it's in anyone else's hand.

OT:

Best: I'm leaning toward the hand cannon from Infinite if only because of the world ending *BOOM* followed by missing heads or flying bodies. If that's not acceptable to you fine folk tho there's always the flare revolver from Killing Floor, It's got a powerful and fluid feel to it so just pop one in someones face to ruin their day.

Worst:SMGs in Farcry 3, seriously, every single one is worthless and has no real impact when fired.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I really like Lara Crofts bow. Does that count? It's really nice to use and I love headshotting with it and also dragging people off ledges with a rope embedded in their torso.

And yes the hand cannon from Bioshock Infinite is very satisfying in the same headshotty way as the magnum from Resident Evil.

I like headshots. Is what I'm trying to say.

I hate the shotgun in Left for Dead. Except for use on witches.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
I'm partial to the revolvers and shotguns in the original Borderlands myself. They sounds pretty satisfying and it's always nice to shoot a bandit in the head and watch gibs go flying.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
Easy target, but CoD Black Ops. Weediest sounding and feeling gunplay I've experienced in a vidyagame, nothing that disappoints me more than a weedy shotgun.
Yeah, the guns in the original Black Ops were pretty lame - a mix of the weird and the anachronistic, all dolled up in ugly furniture. Also, the sling strap wraps around the Commando's receiver in such a way that you wouldn't be able to operate the charging handle. I know it's petty, but that really got on my nerves. The Infinity Ward games did a much better job with their weapons.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
I'm going to buck the trend and say go with a couple of Fallout New Vegas guns.
Speccing fully into energy weapons makes a scoped laser rifle very satisfying. Top prize has to go to the named gauss rifle, load it up with top of the range ammunition and go deathclaw hunting, so much fun.
Actually it depends if you count the experimental MIRV or euclid's C-finder as guns.

Worst is probably the kowloon type 40 from 007:Nightfire, sure it has a burst fire or you can dual wield but it still takes ten minutes to down anyone with.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Battlefield 3's whole line-up. DICE spends a lot of resources researching and developing the guns in its games (which is probably why BF4 is using the same guns). And Frostbite 2's sound and lighting makes each gun feel like its own. Going from Battlefield to other shooters is quite disappointing. I was especially surprised by how well the sound engulfed me in the game when I first played it.

Worst would be the last 5 games of Call of Duty. You can tell the engine is trying really hard to output some quality sound, but it just can't do much more than what the Wiimote can do. Ya, that's a little exaggeration, but you get what I mean.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
I actually like the guns in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, although it is unnerving watching a Deathclaw charging towards you with knife and fork in hand while round after round from your most powerful rifle ricochet harmlessly off its face.

My most favoured gunplay? Probably Painkiller. Of the five stellar weapons, the one that shoots shurikens and lightning was actually the LEAST satisfying :)

Speaking of unsatisfying, I think I have to go with the original Quake for my most disappointing martial experience. Even for the time- compared to Dark Forces, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D and even Doom, the Quake guns were disappointing. The axe was pathetic, the starting shotgun felt like emptying a dustbuster into the enemies' faces and was about as effective and the double barrel scattered so far it was ineffective if you weren't basically standing on the goons' toes when you let fly. The nailgun was fine against the smaller enemies but was like flicking elastic bands at the bigger lads. The perforator was a joy but chewed through ammo so quickly it could rarely be used. The explosive weapons are rightly legendary but the biggest bad of the bunch, the Shambler, was specifically missile-proof and can soak up 16 rockets to the chin before keeling over. Given the rarity of the weapon itself and the scarcity of the ammo, you would have expected the Thunderbolt to be amazing. It wasn't :(

-Nick