Best and worst gun feel

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
While I didn't like Infinite, all the weapons of all the Bioshock games felt GREAT and satisfying. The Hand Cannon is one of my favorite weapons.

The guns, espescially the shotgun in Bulletstorm felt good as well.

Most of the weapons in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine were a joy to use.

The bow in Far Cry 3 is great as well, I haven't tried Lara's bow yet.

I'm not fond of Battlefield 3, the weapons of everything (soldiers, tanks, ...) sounds quite fantastic.

A lot of the weapons in Quake 2 and III are so satisfying to use, more than a decade after release.

'Worst' would probably have to be the toy-sounding weapons from the Halo series.

I wasn't exactly fond of Fallout 3's weapons. They felt very stale and muted.

I love the Dead Space games, but the weapons really don't sound very powerful or dangerous.

I've only played the first game, but the guns in Gears of War really sounded bland.

The sniper rifles in Sniper Elite V2 sould've been... more powerful, you know?

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Space Marine's Heavy Bolter...or twin bolters...or ALL the bolters in that game in general.

GOD did these weapons feel so damn good

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I really like the feel of weapons in Rainbow Six games for some reason. Especially in Raven Shield. They just feel very lethal with one bullet generally being enough to kill an enemy, with recoil that isn't strong enough to make the gun annoyingly inaccurate, nor is it so weak that the guns would lack impact.

as for the worst... well... Fallout 3 has been mentioned quite a bit but I think that some guns actually feel pretty nice, even though the enemies are bullet sponges. especially when you find your first truly powerful weapon after hours of playing, the fact that the starting pistol is not much different from the BB-gun makes it so much sweeter. Shotguns and AK-47 also sound satisfying. So no, even though guns in that game don't feel especially good, I wouldn't call them the worst.

honestly, I really hated the guns in the first Gears of War (I played the PC port so maybe that's a part of the issue - I've heard that guns in Gears were supposed to feel great). the rattling noise when a gun's running out of ammo was hateful and the enemies were giving a new dimension to the word "bulletsponge".

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
teh_Canape said:
GodzillaGuy92 said:
One of my favorite guns ever is Halo: Combat Evolved assault rifle
funny you should mention this
because I'm playing through Combat Evolved on Legendary and the assault rifle is fucking worthless
Well, sure, it's not really worth using on Legendary. But it still feels fantastic, at least to me, and on the lower difficulties it's my go-to weapon for that very reason, even if other weapons would serve me better.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
loc978 said:
Ah... here I was coming in to talk up the Mosin Nagant and talk down a Remington .270 hunting rifle whose model escapes me... or talk up the Glock 21 and talk down the Taurus G2.

For shooters, though... I really liked the feel of the guns in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Just enough authenticity to make you feel like a badass without watering down the gameplay. Worst... I think it was the original Soldier of Fortune. Not sure if that was the one, but the guns were all horribly underpowered, tended to sound hollow, and the recoil felt incredibly fake.

Honorable mention for RTS guns-
Direct-fire-
Best: Dawn of War
Worst: Rise of Nations

Artillery-
Best: Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Worst: Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Had the same thought myself, only I had the M-1 Garand in mind.
Seeing as how I'm not a fan of Taurus myself, I applaud your dislike, keep up the good work.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Good - Crysis series, Halo: CE
Worst - Left 4 Dead. Combined with the awkward feeling of walking on ice 24/7 I'd say they're fucking terrible.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
A good gun, most certainly, is a gun that is always accurate and always shoots where you aim it. All accounts of the gun missing is the recoil and your own poor handling.

Having a bitching sound and animation really helps.

Not many games do this! Tripwire (of Killing Floor and Red Orchestra) does it tremendously well with most of their weapons. Other games like Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield, the Source mod Insurgency, Just Cause 2, and to some extent Call of Duty do it. (In Call of Duty's case, that is only when you are aiming down the sights.) Some of the classics like Quake and Doom did it, but they don't really count.

In games where firing for long periods of time - regardless of the fact that your crosshairs are at the same place leads to some stupid pattern, that just pisses me off. The game is say Yes, you are accurate, but accuracy isn't important in this game. That's why I could never get myself in Counterstrike. Besides the no-respawn matches and the general stupidness of the flow, the fact that you never are going to shoot accurately in that game makes me want to go kill a *****.

Of course, other games are big into the random spread. Team Fortress 2, Half-Life, Metro 2033, Fallout, Deus Ex, Spec Ops: The Line, Borderlands, the first Bioshock, yadda yadda.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I think Unreal Tournament had really good gunfeel, but maybe that's me. The flax cannon, the plasma bolter, the rocket/grenade spread, a simple no muss no fuss sniper rifle, and double pistols, all felt great, even as far back as the first one

As for worst.. yeah, probably fallout 3 maybe, didn't stop me from playing the hell out of it. New Vegas was better though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Best: Revolvers from Borderlands 1
The bang, the recoil, the look, scopes...the fact they were one of the only gun archetypes worth a damn from start to finish. That "Cowboy" appeal.

Worst: System Shock 2
Oh yeah. I went there. And to be fair, all weapon attacks are really weird because it's more of an RPG.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
No Ratchet and Clank, Escapist? I am disappoint.

Tesla Claw isn't my favourite weapon, but for sure is it up there. It's not even the strongest, but it's perhaps the most satifying. Basically it's a claw that shoots lightning. It's extremely quick and has a sharp ZZAAAP to it. I see a lot of "Best Ratchet and Clank Weapons" lists, and I have yet to see it mentioned.

I can't find any videos with it tat don't have commentary, so here are some pictures.

Oh ya, my worst. I don't typically play shooters, so I have yet to pick my "worst". I tend not to like any small, fast firing uzi type weapons, but nothing specific to a game.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Warhammer 40K Space Marine.

Heavy Bolter fire just nailed it for me. That and all the melee weapons (not that we're discussing those), my god. Chainswords. Everything just had weight!

Worst? I don't know, there are a lot of lackluster ones out there. Bioshock Infinite definitely wasn't the absolute worst for me... Hm... I don't know honestly. Maybe DE:HR?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Easton Dark said:
The best is surely Resident Evil 4. Everything but the TMP looks and sounds like it freaking hurts.
For the record, even the TMP remains satisfying for other reasons, such as its high rate of fire, the fact that going full auto on enemies actually immobilizes them under the hail of bullets, and the ability to paint split-second trails of blood splatters against a Gigante's torso or obscure Salazar's entire body behind all the blood pouring out of him.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
For favorite I'm leaning either towards bullet storm or halo. The first halo, where everything felt blunt and powerful. That assault rifle felt like a jackhammer that shot bullets.

Worst I might have to go with left 4 dead. I can't put my finger on why but with the exception of tf2 I really dont find killing stuff in valve games satisfying. At least in half life there's some interesting variety and CS gets the excuse of being older than dirt and twice as outdated but left4dead really has nothing interesting and no excuse. If I can blast a hole out of a zombie with a high powered shotgun and not even feel remotely satisfied as his entrails pour out onto the floor something's wrong.

Also you guys are either being way too tough on fallout or don't know what a real gun actually sounds like. I mean I wouldn't call it SATISFYING but the gunshots and even more notably the bullet whiz/impact sounds are pretty real sounding.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Space marine made me feel really good with a few of the guns. The las was just right, but the bolter needed a little more thump. The Melta also could have been upped in flash intensity, but damage output felt good.

However, all other iterations of the bolter felt like an smg. So space marine did well there.

Guitarmasterx7 said:
Worst I might have to go with left 4 dead. .
I really enjoyed the sniper hunting rifle. I was a beast with that one and could rock the bottleneck situations. Felt wonderful..

Never shot the others. I was permalouis and permanent sniper.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
teh_Canape said:
the Javelin, Widow, Claymore, Carnifex and N7 Typhoon from ME3
all these guns get me all hot and bothered when using them

worst: ME weapons, dear god ME weapons
Mass Effect 3 is a mixed bag of awesome guns and crappy pea-shooters. I agree with those you picked, especially Javelin and Claymore. :)

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
All the human weapons in the Halo series, especially the magnum, assault rifle (halo CE) and sniper rifle were the best sounding and best feeling weapons. Honourable mention goes out to the Bioshock infinite hand cannon, that gun makes you feel like death incarnate.

The Call of Duty series after 3 have had some of the weediest feeling and sounding guns I've ever had to deal with, awful sound, no real weight or recoil. Just disappointing.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I recall F.E.A.R. having a pretty umphy shotgun, the shot may not have sounded perfect but man the enemies certainly look like they felt it. Then theres the nail gun and the 'impact gun' (don't know the name) that just turned people into bits, THAT was fun.

Bad Company 2 also had some pretty awesome sounding/performing guns.

Worst? Going to agree with the rest, Fallout 3 has some of the weakest feeling/sounding guns unless a VATS killed someone but that doesn't really count. Also GTA SA, the guns just sounded terrible and lacked punch.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Hafnium said:
teh_Canape said:
the Javelin, Widow, Claymore, Carnifex and N7 Typhoon from ME3
all these guns get me all hot and bothered when using them

worst: ME weapons, dear god ME weapons
Mass Effect 3 is a mixed bag of awesome guns and crappy pea-shooters. I agree with those you picked, especially Javelin and Claymore. :)
I think we should especially single out the Tempest SMG because it's both damn worthless and recoils like fuck
on a personal note, I loathe when someone other than me is using an N7 Hurricane on MP
damn thing sounds way too close to a cerberus turret than I'd like

Atmos Duality said:
Oh yeah. I went there
dude, I don't think anybody's arguing the opposite

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Admit it, as soon as you got this bad boy it felt so satisfying to unload a slug and fire the traditional Halo shotgun sound.