Best antivirus

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
So I am considering the possibility of using my windows computer for something other then steam, what is the best free anti virus software? Sorry, I am new to needing it.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
if you dont mind daily ads asking you to upgrade to the paid version Avira antivirus is probably best.

if you dont want ads you might go with AVG

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Avast, hands down. I've seen Avast do better than most anti-virus software that you pay for. I always recommend people get Avast when they have problems with viruses or their anti-virus just doesn't like cooperating, and I've been thanked by people every single time afterward.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I have AVG, Avast, and Malwarebytes running on my computer right now. Hasn't caught a virus yet, so I say those are pretty good.

tjs09

Aug 23, 2010
Try the avast! free version [http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download].

It has no ads and is really light on your operating system compared to other anti-virus programs. I've had it for about 6 months and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Did I mention it's free?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Webroot is what I use, and I really love it. It's also got a gaming mode, so you can run games with it running. Pretty handy.

gee666

One Sad Act
Nov 10, 2009
Get Avast, Malware bites, and Spy Bot Search and destroy

Should be fine with those 3 Though nothing is bomb proof common sense is required make sure that any links downloads etc are ones you trust

just had to do a clean install as I opened an email from work and ended up with Ramnit on my computer got onto PB game files and several other places it also installed on my usb sound card so that's £90 fucked

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The best antivirus is not to connect to the internet... but I doubt if that's going to work for you. I'd suggest looking at some free antivirus and then looking at big names like McAfee that offer limited free services to see if you like them enough to pay. The best advice to avoid virus is to get behind a firewall and be suspicious of everything though.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
tjs09 said:
Try the avast! free version [http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download].

It has no ads and is really light on your operating system compared to other anti-virus programs. I've had it for about 6 months and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Did I mention it's free?
Looks good, trying it out.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
The best antivirus is not to connect to the internet... but I doubt if that's going to work for you. I'd suggest looking at some free antivirus and then looking at big names like McAfee that offer limited free services to see if you like them enough to pay. The best advice to avoid virus is to get behind a firewall and be suspicious of everything though.
The best antivirus is to use Mac OS X. But Mac OS X doesn't have DX11, so here we are. From what other people have said there seems to be plenty of frree non adware solutions out there.

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
Microsoft security essentials is damn good. It's free and since it's optimized for Windows it isn't very resource intensive. You really shouldn't need much more. It's hard to get a virus if you have common sense.

weker

May 27, 2009
you can get kaspersky for a year for free if you have a Barcly card, and so far it's the best anti virus i have ever had.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Really its best to swap anti virus once every year or so, since each anti virus works a bit different, that means that you will be able to detect the stuff that your old one missed.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Common Sense is the best anti virus really. But if you must software I tend to use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Avast was shit
AVG is just a virus in my opinion

The best antivirus is to use Mac OS X
HAR HAR I see what you did there.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I have Comodo right now, it has a pretty nice firewall built in it as well. AVG is good too.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I've heard Malwarebytes is good, that's what I primarily use. I've heard people say good things about Avast, I think I used to use it but got rid of it for some reason. I've also found Microsoft Security Essentials to be pretty good. I'm not really an expert though.

One thing I would recommend though: Avoid Norton. It practically is a virus.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
brainslurper said:
Twilight_guy said:
The best antivirus is to use Mac OS X. But Mac OS X doesn't have DX11, so here we are. From what other people have said there seems to be plenty of frree non adware solutions out there.
Actually by that logic OS X is nowhere near good as Linux or Unix since even less people use those OSs and thus they are less likely to be targeted by people making viruses.

Zaer

Dec 13, 2009
While I'm using a paid version of Norton 360 right now (Someone else in the house bought a 3-PC version and I was like "Hey! I could use that too!" and stole one of the registration keys, hehe), Avast is the best free one I've ever used. It does a great job of keeping viruses at bay. I used it before I got Norton, and never had a problem with it - I just wanted something that also had a firewall, that's all.