Best Batman Movie

Supercereal

Mar 3, 2012
TheGauntman said:
Supercereal said:
Shreder55 said:
Mine would be "Under the Red Hood'

I love the ending confrontation and its really dark opening.
Joe Dimaggio did an unbelievable job as the voice of the joker and you are right the ending was wonderful
I hate to be that guy, but the voice actor's name is John Dimaggio. Joe Dimaggio was a baseball player.

OT: for me The Dark Knight wins easily. It captured the essence of what makes Batman an intriguing character. His constant doubt and conflict about whether he is actually doing any good; the public's vacillating opinion of him; and the text's questioning what it means to be 'heroic'.

Also, Heath Ledger knocks it out of the park as The Joker. Seriously great performance.
I Apologize to Both Joe and John Dimaggio for my error and thank you TheGauntman

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Supercereal said:
TheGauntman said:
Supercereal said:
Shreder55 said:
Mine would be "Under the Red Hood'

I love the ending confrontation and its really dark opening.
Joe Dimaggio did an unbelievable job as the voice of the joker and you are right the ending was wonderful
I hate to be that guy, but the voice actor's name is John Dimaggio. Joe Dimaggio was a baseball player.

OT: for me The Dark Knight wins easily. It captured the essence of what makes Batman an intriguing character. His constant doubt and conflict about whether he is actually doing any good; the public's vacillating opinion of him; and the text's questioning what it means to be 'heroic'.

Also, Heath Ledger knocks it out of the park as The Joker. Seriously great performance.
I Apologize to Both Joe and John Dimaggio for my error and thank you TheGauntman
Haha, sorry. I really do hate to be pedantic. But I frequently see him called Joe and just couldn't hold my tongue this time.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
"The sums of those four criminal angles makes a rectangle too EVIL to contemplate!"

The 1966 Batman. I'm not saying that to be "ironic", or contrary or anything, I genuinely think that is the best Batman. I don't know who in the world thought to look at a children's comic about a man in spandex pants, and decided "It would be way better if people take it seriously. Let's make it dark and gritty!". 1966 is the best adaptation, true to the real silver age batman, back when comics were light, silly and imaginative.

The movie is not without its flaws; it sorta lacks a real story arc, its just three episodes crammed together with different villains trying out one goofy master plot after another. Plus they spend a huge amount of time bumbling around the same pier, which makes it a bit dull at times. But it is also one of the most hilarious things you'll ever watch. Not a scene goes by without some kind of sight gag, or imaginative twist. They can't enter or exit a bar without Robin going on some bizarre tangent about alcoholics, they can't show the villains without a severe dutch angle that puts the room on a horizontal. Then there is Adam West, who is brilliant. This was a time where you watched Batman to see Batman, and not just the villains.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Right, gonna go OT and say Dark Knight right now, but I want to vent a small bit.

I've hardly been terribly impressed by many of the Batman films, live or animated. I really tried, but these are my reasons.

The 60's Adam West Batman movie is by no means bad, it just feels more like an extended episode of the show. The camp is fun, to be sure, but it lacks staying power for me because its trying to be light entertainment. Decent light entertainment, mind, but nothing really substantial.

I used to like Tim Burton's Batman when I was younger, but now, its one of those movies where EVERY little thing bothers me. You know, the one movie where you question the logic of everything? I normally don't do that, but with this movie, I can't help it.

Why does Gordon go into a combat scenario in his dinner clothes/no armor just to tell off the guy in charge? Why does the newspaper room look right out of the 50's when there are TVs, cameras, and pretty much everything else to make it look contemporary? Why does the batmobile have a tether to make tight turns? Couldn't he have made a car that just had better steering? Why does Bruce Wayne stay shy and reserved at a party at HIS OWN MANSION and lie to a woman asking if he's Bruce Wayne? And why doesn't she know what he looks like? Didn't that paper ever have a picture of the richest man in Gotham she could find? Why do Joker's men follow him? Yeah, he was a higher-up before he became Joker, but why would they just suddenly go along with a man who dresses like a clown and starts doing weird shit? Why did Vicky open that box Joker gave her in her apartment? She couldn't have thought anything good would come out of it. Why don't any police show up during the parade to try to apprehend Joker because he caused the death of many with his cosmetics chemicals? What was Joker's plan? He doesn't ever say he wants to take over Gotham, or anything. Joker ALWAYS has a plan, he just doesn't care if he loses.

Yeah, too many holes for me. Other than that, I think Bruce Wayne is dully personified. Keaton's Batman is good, but the writing wasn't strong enough to make me care about Bruce Wayne.

Batman returns I thought had even less personality for Wayne, which I think is a great shame. I thought the fights were mostly pretty uninteresting, and Max Schrek was a poorly conceived villain with lousy dialog. Aside from other holes that I'm sure no one wants to read after my previous wall of text, I think Penguin was just a bit too over the top. I liked the reimagining and DeVito's performance was memorable, but I think it was just a bit too much. There wasn't enough subtlety with him, and I really think there should have been. Though I honestly have no criticism for how they handled Catwoman. Yeah, she's a bit different from how she was portrayed before, but I though Pfiefer gave the best performance and had the best planned out scenes and dialog.

So, yeah, Burton's Batman movies are visually wonderful, but I think they both just have too many gaps of logic. At least, the kinds of gaps I can't stand.

I'd say of the "four", I liked Batman Forever best, despite its heavy flaws. Two-Face really had nothing to do, and its clear the studio wanted Jim Carey to be Ace Ventura, not the Riddler (despite the fact I still think he has the ability to play the perfect Riddler), and the plot is pretty lame. However, I like how they explored Bruce Wayne's opinion when he saw another boy going through what he did, and reflecting on how his life turned out watching Dick Grayson's want for vengeance. Villains are interesting, and all, but I maintain that the heroes need just as much personality. Its enough to make me think this movie was decent.

Batman and Robin...well, its Batman and Robin. It was a comedy in a franchise when nobody wanted a comedy in said franchise. Even taken on its own, I don't find its attempt at campy humor to be all that good. Enough's been said about this movie, and I don't have much too add.

I can't say I was very impressed with Mask of Phantasm. I mean, I liked the overall story...until they added the Joker. I seriously do not think the Joker had a place in that movie's story. I also thought the jetpack fight in the ruined theme park was in stupid contrast with the darker feel of the rest of the movie. Other than that, I'm sad to say that I wasn't too impressed with Kevin Conroy's performance. I personally think Kevin didn't really nail the Batman voice until later in his career. Also, I really don't get the ending. With spoiling too much, let me just say, after dealing with the Joker, why couldn't Bruce and the love interest talk out the relationship afterwards? She seemed level headed enough to make that sort of decision. Why just leave? It just feels like they dropped their romance plot because "oooh, it just can't ever be".

I haven't seen any other Batman focused animated movies(a shame, because I'm an animation fan), but from what I've seen, Return of the Joker and Under Red Hood look promising.

As for Nolan's ones, they're just closer to how I always thought Batman should be. I like Begins, but I'm not too impressed with how they used Ra's Al Ghul or Scarecrow. It almost felt like an original villain could have taken their place. Yeah the fights early on aren't too good, but I like the final fight on the train. Also, Katie Holmes was pretty lackluster. It was at least a solid origin story that made me care about Bruce and his decisions.

And Dark Knight is just an improvement on Begins. The only things I can say against it is the "fight" with Batman and Joker at the end was pretty lame. Joker is a bit OP, but everything he says and does is powerful enough to make me thoroughly interested in everything he does. A few moments are kinda cheesy, with the boat scene at the end, but otherwise, I thought it was the best at personifying the cast, and I always enjoy watching it.

Thanks for putting up with me.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I really don;t know which is my favorite.

Burtons first film is wonderful of course, but the sequel showed you can have too much of a good thing. It just went wheeling over the edge.

The two Nolan films are also very very enjoyable, but for totally different reasons.

I guess I...choose......
The first Burton film. Just because Batman doesn't sound silly in that one.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Elmoth said:
rob_simple said:
Elmoth said:
Batman begins is the best? Excuse me?

So yes, up untill now I will say The Dark Knight is the best one. By no means a perfect movie, but it is the best executed Batman movie up untill now. Though the Dark Knight Rises is looking fantastic.
There are these things called 'opinions', you know; you should read up on them.

OT: Much like picking my favourite Bond, I don't think I could because my favourites are all good for different reasons.

I know this doesn't really count, but in terms of plot, I thought that Arkham City was one of the best Batman stories in recent memory, and showed a wonderfully dark, almost sociopathic side to Batman's character (I think it was the first time I'd seen Batman like that since the 'I'm counting on it' scene in TDK) and the final scene after Bats defeats the Joker was strangely powerful to me.
Yeah it's not like my post isn't MY opinion or anything. And personally I thought they jammed too much into Arkham City without giving everything the time it needs. And all this time, hours of cinematics and dialogue about how important the cure is, and the Joker just accidentally breaks it. Oops, oh well.
Yeah the difference is you used your opinion to insult everyone who thought differently and generally sound about as up your own arse as it's possible to be through text alone.

Arkham City was cluttered at times, granted, but he didn't accidentally break the cure. He broke it attacking Batman to try and get it, which set up for the reveal
that Batman would have given it to the Joker anyway. It was a great way of laying out their dynamic as was the following scene where Batman carries him out to the police.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
Dark Knight and Mask of Phantasm > Batman Begins > Michael Keaton's Batman movies > Val Kilmer's Batman movie > George Cloony's Batman movie.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Dark Knight, obviously, because it's fucking UH-MAH-ZING. I like Begins, but it's probably the weakest of all of Nolan's films - although that isn't saying much, because they're all fucking brilliant. Nolan is probably one of the best filmmakers, full stop.

But Jesus, TDK wins on the fucking interrogation scene alone.

Elmoth said:
And Dark Knight is just an improvement on Begins. The only things I can say against it is the "fight" with Batman and Joker at the end was pretty lame.
I agree it's not particularly memorable, but I do still like it. I think it illustrates the point nicely that when you get down to it and end the whole battle-of-wits, what you're left with is two guys trying to smack each other about in a last-ditch effort to win.

By that point I didn't really feel like I needed to see them do anything particularly elaborate.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Elmoth said:
rob_simple said:
Elmoth said:
rob_simple said:
Elmoth said:

So yes, up untill now I will say The Dark Knight is the best one. By no means a perfect movie, but it is the best executed Batman movie up untill now. Though the Dark Knight Rises is looking fantastic.
There are these things called 'opinions', you know; you should read up on them.

OT: Much like picking my favourite Bond, I don't think I could because my favourites are all good for different reasons.

I know this doesn't really count, but in terms of plot, I thought that Arkham City was one of the best Batman stories in recent memory, and showed a wonderfully dark, almost sociopathic side to Batman's character (I think it was the first time I'd seen Batman like that since the 'I'm counting on it' scene in TDK) and the final scene after Bats defeats the Joker was strangely powerful to me.
Yeah it's not like my post isn't MY opinion or anything. And personally I thought they jammed too much into Arkham City without giving everything the time it needs. And all this time, hours of cinematics and dialogue about how important the cure is, and the Joker just accidentally breaks it. Oops, oh well.
Yeah the difference is you used your opinion to insult everyone who thought differently and generally sound about as up your own arse as it's possible to be through text alone.

Arkham City was cluttered at times, granted, but he didn't accidentally break the cure. He broke it attacking Batman to try and get it, which set up for the reveal
that Batman would have given it to the Joker anyway. It was a great way of laying out their dynamic as was the following scene where Batman carries him out to the police.
How the fuck is:

*Quote I agree with*

"Using my opinion to insult everyone who thought differently and generally sound about as up your own arse as it's possible to be trough text alone."

How about you actually read my post next time and not do the exact thing you accuse the person you accuse of doing.
Because 'the best' here equates to your favourite; there is no actual best Batman film. Therefore you saying 'BB is the best? HURR DURR WUT?' is essentially telling other people, not that you disagree with them, but that their opinion is wrong and you have the right one.

Again, in a subject where there is no right answer. Maybe it wasn't your intention, but it makes you come across as immensely pompous and arrogant.