Best Buy Doesn't Respect Their Customers

Vanquishuer

Twilight Vanquisher
Mar 5, 2009
I recently bought a new TV. Filled with glee I realized that the TV was emitting a smell of burning plastic. Even though I insured it, they refused to take it back. As I was leaving, the bottom of the box broke; scratching the side and breaking off bits of plastic. Went back inside, told us that they couldn't (Wouldn't) do anything since it was damaged. Called Corporate, told us to go back to return it. Went back, I asked to return it. THEY THREATENED TO CALL THE FUCKING POLICE.

So, that is why I will never return to the Best Buy in Medford, Oregon.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, why not let them get the police? Clearly they were selling you damaged goods and refusing to give you satisfaction.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Honestly if they called the police and you told them your story when you got there Best Buy would be screwed. They violated a legal contract.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Plastic burn-in smell is normal. Bottom of the box breaking sucks, that's happened to me as well, luckily Office Depot let me exchange it (it was a computer monitor).

LilRock1976

Jun 6, 2011
Why don't you try the manufacturer? If it is still under warranty they might be able to help you.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
The consumerist used to tag all their best buy stories "I've seen better buys, actually". Best buy has an absolutely abysmal track record when it comes to dealing with customers, and you should never buy anything from them, ever.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Vlywncint said:
Time to sue. You're gonna make alot more than that tv's worth. ^-^
WHAT?

Even if Best Buy is actually liable for the damages, which is questionable, they will be reimbursed for the TV and maybe their legal costs if they engage a lawyer.

The mentality of "something bad happened so someone owes me money" makes me ill. People need to stop looking for handouts every time they're slightly inconvenienced.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Okay, thanks for that. I've never had a problem with my local best buy or needed to deal with corporate. I hope you find a better electronics store to shop at.

Vlywncint

Nov 23, 2011
Kermi said:
Vlywncint said:
WHAT?

Even if Best Buy is actually liable for the damages, which is questionable, they will be reimbursed for the TV and maybe their legal costs if they engage a lawyer.

The mentality of "something bad happened so someone owes me money" makes me ill. People need to stop looking for handouts every time they're slightly inconvenienced.
I know. I'm not really being serious but it does happen. I don't like them either.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Kermi said:
Vlywncint said:
WHAT?

Slightly inconvenienced? He got ripped off.
And they WHERE in violation of their contract. An actual lawsuit might not be entirely necessary, but if you threaten lawsuit, and convince them you have a case and the money for a good lawyer, they might be scared into giving you what you want.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Respecting your customers is not a good business model. Pretending to do so is. I fail to see why people continue to be surprised when companies screw them over. They want your money, and nothing else.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
similar.squirrel said:
Respecting your customers is not a good business model. Pretending to do so is. I fail to see why people continue to be surprised when companies screw them over. They want your money, and nothing else.
And they're allowed to do so. Isn't life lovely?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fagotto said:
Kermi said:
Your inability to summarize it accurately is far worse than an imagined sense of entitlement. It's more like "They should be punished for trying to screw me over"
Unfortunately, that really doesn't do much of anything. They pass the loss on to the customer rather than take a hit. It doesn't do anything but give you money.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
Even if they called the police you were in the right, so you would have gotten a refund or a new tv.

Nightfox0291

Feb 28, 2011
Sadly, I'm reminded by this story of those "NewEgg" commercials I've seen running on TV...

Really, I've found that most of the employees I've encountered in my trips to Best Buy were polite but dimwitted, with absolutely little to no knowledge of electronics whatsoever.

My advice is to just buy the TV, or whatever piece of electronic hardware, either online from their website and have it shipped directly to you or, if you've already sworn yourself off from buying anything ever again from Best Buy, from another website. With shipping, they'll likely treat the product better, it'll be shipped directly to you, so the only carrying you might be doing is taking it inside, and the people who deal with the complaints of unsatisfied customers know how to deal with the situation much better than those workers allegedly did at the Best Buy you went to.

Finally, if you're feeling up for it, I'd recommend calling the Best Buy you got the TV from, finding out the name of the store manager who's in charge of that specific Best Buy, then call corporate again to speak to them about how the manager in charge of that store failed to have his/her employees--whom he/she is responsible for making sure they receive the proper training for interacting with customers--treat you with the respect that you expect and rightfully deserve as a paying customer. They sold you a faulty product, refused to take it back (which, as you said, was even part of their policy and the insurance you paid for), and then threatened to call the police on you when you tried to press the matter.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Fagotto said:
Kermi said:
Your inability to summarize it accurately is far worse than an imagined sense of entitlement. It's more like "They should be punished for trying to screw me over"
Punish Best Buy? Yes.

Customer profits from Best Buy's loss? No.