Best Cards That Survive Shadows Over Innistrad Rotation

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Best Cards That Survive Shadows Over Innistrad Rotation

What cards are going to be good after Standard rotates?

Read Full Article

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Kalitas graveyard hate with all the upcoming interactions/recursions while Anafenza rotating out. Oh boy.

And maybe they print some juicy vampire tribal cards, so I can never complete my vampire EDH because of insane prices!

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
Can we please all celebrate the removal of fetch lands. I want to celebrate the removal of fetch lands.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
*merrily keeps ignoring the whole expensive rotating bullshit*

It's good to be an EDH player. Well, I'm not completely ignoring it. Fetches rotating out means I might buy a few.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Of all the sets to do a sequel to, Innistrad? Really!? You're skipping Scars of New Phyrexia to make a sequel to the worst set in recent memory?
What is wrong with you Wizards?
Was Return to Kamigawa not a terrible enough idea for you to act upon so you had to drag us back to Innistrad?

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Cowabungaa said:
*merrily keeps ignoring the whole expensive rotating bullshit*

It's good to be an EDH player. Well, I'm not completely ignoring it. Fetches rotating out means I might buy a few.
Fetches rotating out will drop their price, but cause them to spike as the set goes out of print.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Souplex said:
Of all the sets to do a sequel to, Innistrad? Really!?
Curious what you didn't like about Innistrad. The general consensus, at least as far as I was aware, is that it's one of the best recent sets from pretty much every angle. Folks loved the lore and mechanics, regarded as top tier as a limited format, and it provided a bunch of sweet format spanning constructed cards.

Unless you meant Innistrad as a block, then I would understand since Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored had some missteps.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Good to be a commander player. Rotations just mean cheaper cards for me! Maybe fetches will plummet in price! That would be sweet! There's some cool stuff in the new set too! I'm totally digging relentless dead! Brain in a jar seems pretty wicked too with enough toying! Plus i love recursion, and the grave play seems very real in this new set! I wonder if we'll see a third avacyn printed, and if she'll be more like the first or the second.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Slycne said:
Souplex said:
Of all the sets to do a sequel to, Innistrad? Really!?
Curious what you didn't like about Innistrad. The general consensus, at least as far as I was aware, is that it's one of the best recent sets from pretty much every angle. Folks loved the lore and mechanics, regarded as top tier as a limited format, and it provided a bunch of sweet format spanning constructed cards.

Unless you meant Innistrad as a block, then I would understand since Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored had some missteps.
We hang out in very different circles then, because as far as I was aware, the consensus was that it was just above Kamigawa in terms of quality of modern sets. (Fitting as it fit the same niche of modern sets as the awful set that came between the best set (Mirrodin) and the second best set (Ravnica))
Honestly, I never went for the Gothic horror/Universal monster aesthetic.
The mechanics it used were all either boring, or terrible. (I'm looking at you Transform, anything that requires proxies and keeping track of cards outside of your deck is a failure.
Fight was just giving a name to something that had been hovering around, but I'm glad it was standardized.
Vampires getting stronger when they hit players was solid but boring.
Morbid was always kind of a boring trigger compared to "Whenever a creature dies".
Flashback could never balance itself properly in terms of cost, plus fuck snapcaster.
The fact that something as boring as Innistrad was followed up by sets as terrible as Dark Ascension and Avacyn returned ultimately doomed it as one of the worst blocks.

If you want a good "Functional but kind of dull" set with a moderate focus on multi-colors, there's Theros.