Best chipset for a single gpu configuration

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
I'm planning on building a new rig. What's the best(within reason) mobo chipset to get for a single gpu configuration? I'm working with a modest budget so I'm definitely not looking to break the bank.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
RavingSturm said:
I'm planning on building a new rig. What's the best(within reason) mobo chipset to get for a single gpu configuration? I'm working with a modest budget so I'm definitely not looking to break the bank.
willing to help but need some info, you looking atx i take it?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
RavingSturm said:

Built a new rig myself recently and the people here on The Escapist were a big help so I am happy to help but like Puzzld said without knowing you budget it is hard to recommend anything.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
ThePuzzldPirate said:
RavingSturm said:
Gizmo1990 said:
RavingSturm said:

Built a new rig myself recently and the people here on The Escapist were a big help so I am happy to help but like Puzzld said without knowing you budget it is hard to recommend anything.
I already have my cpu and GPU picked out. I'm looking for an atx mobo in the $150-200 range.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
RavingSturm said:
ThePuzzldPirate said:
RavingSturm said:
Gizmo1990 said:
RavingSturm said:

I already have my cpu and GPU picked out. I'm looking for an atx mobo in the $150-200 range.
What is your CPU?

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Morgoth780 said:
RavingSturm said:
ThePuzzldPirate said:
RavingSturm said:
Gizmo1990 said:
RavingSturm said:

What is your CPU?
Intel Core i5-4460, have no plans to overclock at the moment. Unless of course somebody can sell me on its advantages. I'm looking at a gtx 970 as gpu. I have a 700w psu.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I have a GTX 760 that isn't bad at all. The 750 seems like a good choice if you are on a budget too.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
RavingSturm said:
Morgoth780 said:
RavingSturm said:
ThePuzzldPirate said:
RavingSturm said:
Gizmo1990 said:
RavingSturm said:

What is your CPU?
Intel Core i5-4460, have no plans to overclock at the moment. Unless of course somebody can sell me on its advantages. I'm looking at a gtx 970 as gpu. I have a 700w psu.
Overclocking can alleviate CPU bottlenecks leading to higher FPS in games. I would only say it's a necessity on certain chips though (Pentium G3258, Athlon 860k, FX series, K-series i5s and i7s since there's no other reason to buy the K series chip).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, if this is your cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117302&cm_re=Intel_Core_i5-4460-_-19-117-302-_-Product then your running a LGA 1150 socket. In which case, this is a pretty solid inexpensive motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128718

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
RavingSturm said:
Btw is high performance memory really worth it? Like say Ripjaws or Hyperx.
The sweet spot is 1866 Mhz CL9. But 1600 Mhz CL9 is pretty close in performance. I wouldn't get anything below 1600 Mhz, and most bandwidths above that aren't really worth it unless you're using an APU.

I have Ripjaws myself, both it and Hyperx are good quality. But you don't need to be getting >2000 Mhz RAM.

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
When you say that you have already picked the CPU and GPU out does that mean you have bought them? The i5-4460 you have chosen is not suitable for any overclocking. You would need a "K" series intel processor to do so. Something like the i5-4690k ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPRWB9G/?tag=pcpapi-20 ) would be more suitable if that were something you wanted to do. As for a motherboard, you will have absolutely no issue at all with ANY H97 or Z97 chipset motherboard as they will support at least 1 GPU at PCI-E 3.0 x16.

If you were to get the 4690K i would suggest something like the ASUS Z97-A ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2MAU5Q/?tag=pcpapi-20 )at $150(ish) which should allow you to do some overclocking. If you already have the CPU purchased then i would suggest going with a H97 motherboard as you will be losing overclocking (not needed) and Xfire/SLI capability. And reccomend something like a Gigabite GA-H97-D3H ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7807MQ/?tag=pcpapi-20 ) for $93(ish).

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Doesnt overclocking degrade the cpu overtime? or do most people just turn it on as needed to squeeze out more FPS?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
RavingSturm said:
Doesnt overclocking degrade the cpu overtime? or do most people just turn it on as needed to squeeze out more FPS?
It will degrade it quicker, but entropy happens to everything anyway. It's basically how fast you want your CPU to die, if you feel like shaving a year off in exchange for better performance, then that's fine.

Also I'd ask if you could drop about a hundred watts. Newegg isn't telling me how many watts the GTX pulls so I can't say for sure, but you might be able to save some cash on the PSU.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
EHKOS said:
RavingSturm said:
It will degrade it quicker, but entropy happens to everything anyway. It's basically how fast you want your CPU to die, if you feel like shaving a year off in exchange for better performance, then that's fine.

Also I'd ask if you could drop about a hundred watts. Newegg isn't telling me how many watts the GTX pulls so I can't say for sure, but you might be able to save some cash on the PSU.
The psu I already own, had to replace the psu on my current rig earlier this year.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
I will vouch for Monk5127, Asus makes great boards and it should cover your needs(and more,) I wouldn't really worry about overclocking too much as cpu gains have kinda fell off when it comes to games. Unless your planning some rendering than I wouldn't even worry about the stock fan too unless you already have a aftermarket cooler. Just make sure to replace the stock thermal paste that is there, I find about a 10-12 degrees(Celsius) difference just removing the pre applied.