Best computer for me.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Chimpzy said:
VG_Addict said:
I'm worried that if I wait a few months or a year, the computers I'm looking at will be obsolete by then.
That is bound to happen eventually.

Anyway, current forecasts seems to be that the major players will release a new generation of CPUs and GPUs by the end of the year. But things aren't like in the 90's and early 2000's anymore, when PC power basically doubled every 6 months or so. Increases are smaller. Unless you're the type that absolutely needs the best possible performance at any given time, current gen hardware is not going to be rendered instantly useless.

Most computers posted in this thread will still do fine for work, internet and playing indie/older games one year from now.
Yep, pretty much. My PC has an AMD A8-5500 that was released in 2012 and it's doing just fine. CPU speeds are no longer increasing because of a few limitations and what you've been seeing for like a decade or so now is adding more cores to the CPU instead.

All you really need to do nowadays when buying/building a PC is find out what's the best AMD processor in the $100-$150 price range. If you get one that's an APU (with built-in graphics), you can play current-gen games on the thing without a video card. That's literally what consoles are today. Just waiting months/year for a new PC will probably just allow the Ryzen 7 to be in that lower price range bracket vs the Ryzen 5 now.

Nov 9, 2015
VG_Addict said:
I'm worried that if I wait a few months or a year, the computers I'm looking at will be obsolete by then.
You could have bought the $300 i7 2700k in 2011 for a gaming PC, and never bother upgrading today, probably even until 2025.

Any Ryzen 5/7 will work fine for daily use.