Best/ favorite song &/ or band

-KC-

Jul 15, 2010
There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors.

Bearsheep

A War With The Sun
Oct 9, 2009
Favorite Band-The Airborne toxic event, Compared to my music library they sound pretty unique
Favorite Song-(Green day)Jesus of suburbia, I'm not really sure why I like it so much... Once I heard it it would always be the first song I would add to my zune/mp3 player
Favorite Album-(AFI)Crash love, It has all of my favorite songs on it =D

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
Jazoni89 said:
I don't know, I prefer catchier hooks to my songs, and the sound doesn't make me excited, and want to sing it out loud. It sound like rather generic to me, and nothing I haven't heard before. Though I am looking into them as I have heard good things (especially on this forum) about Devin Townsend, and Strapping young lad (which I have know about for years), but I have yet to find anything that stands out from both bands. Maybe I'm just not into metal as much as I used to be. :/

In fact, maybe Protest the hero, System of a down, and Kamelot are the only metal bands I really listen to nowadays.
In this case, I recommend Devin Townsend even stronger! I won't tell you to "Go listen to THIS album NOW!", but if you want something more easy-going, the Devin Townsend Project has a lot to offer. The album Addicted! is a sort of pop-inspired rock album with some very singable, catchy tunes.

This song for example. Very danceable, even.

He also recently released an album called Ghost, which is some really toned down, mellow stuff. Happy-sounding. It gives a feeling of "being content" and "at peace". If you feel like it, go back to my original post and check out the song there called Feather, it's my favorite track on Ghost.
This^

Also I'd like to add this song, which also happens to be the most perfect pop song ever written.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Sunrider84 said:
Jazoni89 said:
I don't know, I prefer catchier hooks to my songs, and the sound doesn't make me excited, and want to sing it out loud. It sound like rather generic to me, and nothing I haven't heard before. Though I am looking into them as I have heard good things (especially on this forum) about Devin Townsend, and Strapping young lad (which I have know about for years), but I have yet to find anything that stands out from both bands. Maybe I'm just not into metal as much as I used to be. :/

In fact, maybe Protest the hero, System of a down, and Kamelot are the only metal bands I really listen to nowadays.
In this case, I recommend Devin Townsend even stronger! I won't tell you to "Go listen to THIS album NOW!", but if you want something more easy-going, the Devin Townsend Project has a lot to offer. The album Addicted! is a sort of pop-inspired rock album with some very singable, catchy tunes.

This song for example. Very danceable, even.

He also recently released an album called Ghost, which is some really toned down, mellow stuff. Happy-sounding. It gives a feeling of "being content" and "at peace". If you feel like it, go back to my original post and check out the song there called Feather, it's my favorite track on Ghost.
I'm still not feeling it man, dancing to this would be embarrassing to be quite honest, no offence to your music taste or anything. If i wanted to dance to a song, i would put on a drum and bass track personally. It's a okay song in itself though, but the mish mash of genre's really doesn't fit the song too well. Well...what can I say I'm just a total music critic.

My quest for a great Devin Townsend song continues.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
To_Sirius said:
Also I'd like to add this song, which also happens to be the most perfect pop song ever written.

An excellent addition. I was thinking of recommending it myself, but I went with Bender for that happy, dance-y feel. Brilliant album, and Ih-Ah is my favorite song on it.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
I'm still not feeling it man, dancing to this would be embarrassing to be quite honest, no offence to your music taste or anything. If i wanted to dance to a song, i would put on a drum and bass track personally. It's a okay song in itself though, but the mish mash of genre's really doesn't fit the song too well. Well...what can I say I'm just a total song critic.

I see. I'm sorry to hear that. I personally dislike drum and bass tracks, so I could never get going to anything like that.

I won't try to force songs down your throat if you aren't feeling it, so feel free to ignore my recommendations, but I'll recommend two more I have in mind.

I love these two to death. I hope you'll like them, if you decide to give them a listen.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Sunrider84 said:
Jazoni89 said:
I'm still not feeling it man, dancing to this would be embarrassing to be quite honest, no offence to your music taste or anything. If i wanted to dance to a song, i would put on a drum and bass track personally. It's a okay song in itself though, but the mish mash of genre's really doesn't fit the song too well. Well...what can I say I'm just a total song critic.

I see. I'm sorry to hear that. I personally dislike drum and bass tracks, so I could never get going to anything like that.

I won't try to force songs down your throat if you aren't feeling it, so feel free to ignore my recommendations, but I'll recommend two more I have in mind.

{Devin Townsend vids}

I love these two to death. I hope you'll like them, if you decide to give them a listen.
Doesn't surprise me in slightest that you dislike D&B, I think that opinion is shared with 99 per cent of the Escapist. So hurrah for individual opinions I guess...

One things for certain though, Devin Townsend is much more superior to all these crappy metal bands with edgy names, like bloodstorm or something along those lines like what many people mention on here.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Doesn't surprise me in slightest that you dislike D&B, I think that opinion is shared with 99 per cent of the Escapist. So hurrah for individual opinions I guess...

One things for certain though, Devin Townsend is much more superior to all these crappy metal bands with edgy names, like bloodstorm or something along those lines like what many people mention on here.
I won't say anything bad about the genre as a whole. There are always some stuff here and there that are enjoyable in every genre, even for a hardcore metalhead like myself. Hell, I even heard some remix of a song off the Inception O.S.T. that I found really enjoyable, despite having that cookie cutter beat in it, because of the melodies. (I never admitted this though, and I will forever deny it when someone remembers this!)

I dislike modern screamo / emo metal with a passion though. Avenged Sevenfold, Dead By April, Sonic Syndicate, Scar Symmetry, you name it. I can't stand it. Even one of my past favorite bands, In Flames, has taken a turn down shit creek since they released Come Clarity. I can't stand their angsty, "I'm 13 and angry at the world" type sound they have nowadays.

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
I'm still not feeling it man, dancing to this would be embarrassing to be quite honest, no offence to your music taste or anything. If i wanted to dance to a song, i would put on a drum and bass track personally. It's a okay song in itself though, but the mish mash of genre's really doesn't fit the song too well. Well...what can I say I'm just a total music critic.

You asked for catchy hooks and we gave you catchy hooks. If you just don't like it then that's fair enough, but usually the sheer brilliance of the way Devin writes music is enough to get anyone with even the slightest musical knowledge to become a fan. I have one more recommendation:

If you make it through this song and are still not blown away then you're just never going to like Devin Townsend. Though, if you do listen to the whole thing you'll surely see how far from being generic this guy is.

Back on topic, one of the greatest avant-garde songs ever written:

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
I can't just choose one of anything! Also, any other drum/bass fans in here? There seems to be a depressingly small amount of us here.

Favorite band(s): Pendulum, Prodigy, SKRILLEX, Shiny Toy Guns, Hybrid, and some metal bands such as In Flames and most folk-metal.

Favorite Songs: Breathe (Prodigy) Invaders Must Die (Prodigy)<---am I the only one who WORSHIPS this song??? Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites (Skrillex), Watercolour (Pendulum), Poison (Shiny Toy Guns), Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking (Snow Patrol) Iron (Woodkid)

Also, you're WELCOME (to those of you who like the music genre known as "badassery"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHDhAohJlQ&ob=av2n

And this song and video are AMAZINGLY AMAZING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkb0kDacjs

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
also, Skrillex, for those who like the music genre known as "mind rape"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
I won't say anything bad about the genre as a whole. There are always some stuff here and there that are enjoyable in every genre, even for a hardcore metalhead like myself. Hell, I even heard some remix of a song off the Inception O.S.T. that I found really enjoyable, despite having that cookie cutter beat in it, because of the melodies. (I never admitted this though, and I will forever deny it when someone remembers this!)

I dislike modern screamo / emo metal with a passion though. Avenged Sevenfold, Dead By April, Sonic Syndicate, Scar Symmetry, you name it. I can't stand it. Even one of my past favorite bands, In Flames, has taken a turn down shit creek since they released Come Clarity. I can't stand their angsty, "I'm 13 and angry at the world" type sound they have nowadays.
Again, I agree with you. I'm far from a hardcore metalhead nowadays (I listen to alot of classical, world and ambient/psychadelia music lately) primarily because theres a huge void of creativity with most of the popular metal bands. There are the few unique ones but for the most part the only direction metal can go without being creative is either pop-metal like you've mentioned, or to rip-off Meshuggah.
They've gone as fast as they possibly can, now its either chugga chugga in weird time signatures they googled or angry teens shaking their fists at the world.

I also won't say anything bad about the Drum'n'Bass genre as a whole but I've yet to hear anything interesting musically that fits into that genre. Feel free to try to recommend me some though!

My two cents.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
To_Sirius said:
Jazoni89 said:

You asked for catchy hooks and we gave you catchy hooks. If you just don't like it then that's fair enough, but usually the sheer brilliance of the way Devin writes music is enough to get anyone with even the slightest musical knowledge to become a fan. I have one more recommendation:

If you make it through this song and are still not blown away then you're just never going to like Devin Townsend. Though, if you do listen to the whole thing you'll surely see how far from being generic this guy is.

Back on topic, one of the greatest avant-garde songs ever written:

I've got a new thing for that music video.

TL:DL (too long, didn't listen), I did listen to bits though, but I'm largely unimpressed by it.

I should stop replying though, because soon you guys will all be ramming Devin Townsend into my throat like My Little Pony, or Minecraft.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
To_Sirius said:
Sunrider84 said:

Again, I agree with you. I'm far from a hardcore metalhead nowadays (I listen to alot of classical, world and ambient/psychadelia music lately) primarily because theres a huge void of creativity with most of the popular metal bands. There are the few unique ones but for the most part the only direction metal can go without being creative is either pop-metal like you've mentioned, or to rip-off Meshuggah.
They've gone as fast as they possibly can, now its either chugga chugga in weird time signatures they googled or angry teens shaking their fists at the world.

I also won't say anything bad about the Drum'n'Bass genre as a whole but I've yet to hear anything interesting musically that fits into that genre. Feel free to try to recommend me some though!

My two cents.
Anything new (even some old) by Pendulum or anything new by The Prodigy is amazing Drum n Bass and comes highly recommended from me, namely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPB7uzKuh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogMNV33AhCY

Prodigy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erog0qc1REI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTw2YvutJRA

Anything by SKRILLEX.

If you do not find something to like within any of these, you are lost to drum/bass, imo :p

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
To_Sirius said:

My two cents.
Haha, interesting how you would say that about Meshuggah. Devin has a line in one of his newer songs, "While we all have lots of bands who influence still...we all rip off Meshuggah!". It sums up what I think pretty well. =)
I don't like Meshuggah though. They are skilled as all hell, but they are assholes as far as I've seen. Saw them at Gates of Metal here in Sweden a bunch of years ago, and they were making fun of other bands at the festival, like for example Stratovarius, calling them "pussies" and "posers".
A few hours later, Morbid Angel, one of the most aggressive, heavy bands in history, went on stage and PRAISED the festival for bringing such diversity within the genre, with everything from MA themselves to happier-sounding bands like Strato. Fuck Meshuggah.

I can't really recommend you anything. I couldn't name a single song even if I wanted to. I only heard songs here and there from some people I've bumped into over the years.

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
I've got a new thing for that music video.

TL:DL (too long, didn't listen), I did listen to bits though, but I'm largely unimpressed by it.

I should stop replying though, because soon you guys will all be ramming Devin Townsend into my throat like My Little Pony, or Minecraft.
I said it was my last recommendation; if you're unimpressed by that then there's no pleasing you.

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
Oh yeah, I don't even like Meshuggah but they're still fantastic musicians in my mind. It's been a while since I listened to Morbid Angel actually, I should give them a listen again because Domination is one of my favourite metal albums and I have so much nostalgia for it.

mandaforever said:
Anything new (even some old) by Pendulum or anything new by The Prodigy is amazing Drum n Bass and comes highly recommended from me, namely:

Prodigy:

Anything by SKRILLEX.

If you do not find something to like within any of these, you are lost to drum/bass, imo :p
Actually I lie! I have heard Pendulum and I admit they've made some fantastic songs. Also I'm digging the variety in the Prodigy tracks; usually when people link me drum and bass it all seems to sound like the same samples over 4/4. I guess you just need to know where to look!

On topic again: these guys will be known as this century's Mozart, I guarantee it.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
mandaforever said:
To_Sirius said:
Sunrider84 said:

My two cents.

Prodigy:

Anything by SKRILLEX.

Some old?, it's the only decent pendulum stuff their is, their new stuff is awful imo (well, in silico was okay I guess). They are not even D&B anymore, it's more dance than anything.

Great tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtKhX6Zd_Hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQmdAencr8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0Pg7fnkAg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLVZ1i1HvlY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXq7PkY8DlE

Congrats on being a D&B fan in America though, I hear it's really not popular over there. :p

Bonus, here's a non pendulum tune for you guy's to enjoy.

Classic, in every sense of the word.

MrMrAwesom

Mar 19, 2011
feel like I should add a poll for
I love Devin Townsend
as the only option & change the title to which song by him do you love the same as all the others but listen to the most

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
I'm I big Linkin Park fan recently.
Fave Band- Linkin Park (I also like Nirvana and The Foo Fighters)
Fave song- One Step Closer
Fave album- Hybrid theory