Best Final Fantasy Characters

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Well, two can play at this game. In a similar manner to an earlier thread I'm sure many people saw, discuss- cordially- what your favorite Final Fantasy characters are and why.

For me, while I've had characters in every game I liked, Edgar from Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorites. In a cast of well-rounded and interesting characters, Edgar stands out as one of the best- a seemingly easygoing wannabe ladies man struggling beneath the burden of rule. Never has a coin toss been so touching.

Second would be Auron from FFX. I like X a lot, but that game's characters do often leave much to be desired, but Auron is great. Mysterious and tough characters are nothing new to RPGs, but Auron backed up these character tropes with a surprisingly emotional backstory, and the fact that he was dead for the entire game and didn't feel like mentioning it.

Also, just throwing this out there; if you don't like Final Fantasy, and feel like spewing some hate-filled bile or ignorant crap here, please do us all a favor and find something better to do with your time. There's nothing wrong with not liking the series, but don't be a jackass about it.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
What more FF threads er ok l add mine quickly havent got much time my favourites are :-

The entire cast from FFVII (party characters) excluding Cait Sith and Vincent. Kain Highwind from FFIV, Sabin Figaro, Terra Branford and Shadow from FFVI, Auron and Yuna from FFX.

Villain wise it would be Golbez from IV Sephiroth from VII and Kefka from VI topping my list actually they would be the only names on the list for main villains as all the others have been rubbish.

Dec 14, 2009

Because they're men who look and act like men.

Not androgynous, not whiny, and don't look like they just fell out of a wardrobe.

I'm still pissed that Squeenix relegated Basch to the sidelines. Did you know he was originally the main protagonist?

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:

Not androgynous, not whiny, and don't look like they just fell out of a wardrobe.

I'm still pissed that Squeenix relegated Basch to the sidelines. Did you know he was originally the main protagonist?
Yeah, I know, it's a real shame. He's still an good character, but he would've been a great main.

And Balthier is... Balthier. Enough said.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Favorite protagonist: Lightning (FF XIII)

Her problems and attitude make sense to me. I can buy into her long, slow character arc and the sense that she didn't entirely succeed in her goals by the end of either game. I like that she's strong but not perfect, and it's a lot of fun to watch her react to Vanille's perkiness and Fang's...uh...lack of shyness. Plus, she gets to punch Snow. I'm also glad that S-E had the guts to make her the poster girl for this installment's games (even though I was disappointed by how much she wasn't in XIII-2).
...but honorable mention to Balthier (FF XII) just because he's the leading man ;)

Favorite party member: Tifa (FF VII)

Ok, she's sort of the perfect action version of the "girl next door," but she's loyal and tough and can pound sense into Cloud when no one else can. While she's at it, she can also run a bar, raise someone else's child, and generally keep the posse functional. I guess that makes her Annie Oakley, which might explain that one costume now that I think about it. She's also got that "ridiculously awesome" cutscene in which she drives a small truck down the stairs and out Shinra's front door. You go girl!
...or maybe Kain (FF IV) because he's really a dark knight, unlike Cecil (whose armor just happens to be the wrong color at the beginning)

EDIT: Agree with you, Daystar, that Basch should have been allowed to be the main. Still, without liking Vaan much, I actually do like playing that game from the point of view of someone who isn't central to the narrative. It's weird but interesting.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
My favorite would probably have to be Vivi from Final Fantasy IX. He's freaking adorable, and I like how much he grows throughout the game. In the beginning he wasn't all that brave, and he was pretty shy.

Later on though, through hanging out with Zidane and the others, and finding out more about who he really is, he changes throughout the game and becomes stronger.

Also, when he finds out how short a life span black mages have, he grows to appreciate life and even talks about how we need to live our life to the fullest during the game's ending. He even supposedly created more black mages in his image so he can pass his knowledge on before he dies.At least that's how I saw it.

So yeah, Vivi is pretty much my favorite character from not just the Final Fantasy games, but pretty much from any game ever. Which would also explain why he's usually my avatar on here. (Not now though, as my avatar is currently Heropon Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles)

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Kefka . He is the best character periods. I just love everything about this paychotic clown. Even his laugh ( in the original game ) still sends chills down my spine . The summit of pure evil .

Applejack

Aug 1, 2010
Oh the best is Cecil! I never played the original but played the DS version with the voice acting and I was really surprised by him. He spoke so noble and had a good heart yet was a dark knight serving an evil king. It was such a contrast he really stood out to me as very unique and cool. His story will always be my favorite

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

I did know that actually, and I never understood why he didn't remain the main character.

OT: I can't pick a favourite. I liked Tidus, Vivi, Zidane, Kimhari, Rikku, Zell, Barret, Aeris, The knight from FF9 who I always rename, the dude from 9 who eats frogs who I always think of as Larry, Yuna, Cid (all of them, 'cause why not?), and the dude from 8 with the awesome hat who I can't recall the name of. Irving I think?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Tough choices. I'm tempted to just leave the entire cast of VI, Tactics and X up here and call it day, but no fun in that is there?

Delita, the Julius Caesar of Final Fantasy. Never before in the franchise have we seen someone so determined to make a positive difference in the world end up so rotten. Would've liked to see him as the final boss in his final scheme, deliberately having Ramza give him a martyr-style death so as to achieve the political changes he sought and be free of his guilt. Problem is, even that wouldn't change the aristocracy's repulsive ways.

Locke, the closest one to Indiana Jones despite having a habit of promising every girl he meets that he'll protect her no matter what. His 'surprised' expression is hilarious and he demonstrates the true worth of a thief treasure hunter's skills in his solo chapter. He could probably infiltrate the Imperial Capital by himself if needed.

Seymour Guado, perhaps the most personally involved villain of the franchise save Kefka. Both of them managed that ultimate dastardly task of deliberately sowing seeds of real mistrust between party members that proved difficult to heal, along with personally hurting nearly every one of them along the way. Also a subversion that all hybrid humans are rare and 'special' people destined for great things. Sure, they might have unique abilities in their blood but they're also going to be ostrasized by both their peoples. What if they decide they don't want to save the world after all?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
StBishop said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I did know that actually, and I never understood why he didn't remain the main character.

OT: I can't pick a favourite. I liked Tidus, Vivi, Zidane, Kimhari, Rikku, Zell, Barret, Aeris, The knight from FF9 who I always rename, the dude from 9 who eats frogs who I always think of as Larry, Yuna, Cid (all of them, 'cause why not?), and the dude from 8 with the awesome hat who I can't recall the name of. Irving I think?
During production, they found that Japanese gamers didn't like Basch all that much, so they created Vaan to cater to their primary market audience.

OT: I'm gonna mention someone who hasn't been mentioned yet and never gets any love: Steiner from FFIX. I enjoyed his character development from a mindless automaton knight who follows orders no matter what to a man who thinks for himself and does what he feels is right.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
wintercoat said:
StBishop said:
Daystar Clarion said:

During production, they found that Japanese gamers didn't like Basch all that much, so they created Vaan to cater to their primary market audience.

OT: I'm gonna mention someone who hasn't been mentioned yet and never gets any love: Steiner from FFIX. I enjoyed his character development from a mindless automaton knight who follows orders no matter what to a man who thinks for himself and does what he feels is right.
Ahem. If you'd kindly look at the bolded section in quotes above.

But yes, I like him for the same reasons. Also I thought the way he runs was funny when I was 11.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
#1 Freya Crescent

Isn't a sex-symbol, nor is her most memorable quality blatant fan-service (Tifa, Rikku).
She's a strong feminine character who isn't a Tomboy in Disguise, and she undergoes an arc.
Cool abilities, great design, surprisingly grown-up personality but still prone to occasionally going off on someone when she's pissed.

Her subplot is basically a love-tragedy; something I generally hate in JRPGs, but she pulled it off for me. Great character.

Freya's worst trait?
She's stuck in a game I cannot get into. It had to force myself three times to play through the game, over the span of a decade, just to beat it. And it's weird because I think the gameplay mechanics are among the best in the FF series.

WhiteFangofWar said:
Delita, the Julius Caesar of Final Fantasy. Never before in the franchise have we seen someone so determined to make a positive difference in the world end up so rotten. Would've liked to see him as the final boss in his final scheme, deliberately having Ramza give him a martyr-style death so as to achieve the political changes he sought and be free of his guilt. Problem is, even that wouldn't change the aristocracy's repulsive ways.
That is a...very good answer actually. Enough to make me change my mind.

#2 Delita
My second choice was originally Locke, but damn. I forgot about Delita.
How, I do not know. FFT is easily my favorite FF game.

Delita is pretty complicated for a FF character, and it has nothing to do with alien cells, amnesia or any of that bullshit. Seriously. His story is incredible, and ripe with political intrigue.

#3 Locke
Locke has a good character arc of heroics, betrayal forgiveness and redemption. A simple character arc in execution, but he's quite charming in his own way (This was Ted Woolsey at his best).

#4 Wiegraf Folles
He's one of those minor villains I feel both hatred and sympathy for.
Sympathy for his plight and fall.
Hatred because he is, by far, one of the biggest roadblocks in the game until you figure him out.

I just loved his moveset, even though he shares it with like 5 other characters in the game.
It looks like it was tailored for him. And I always tense up when he pulls Crush Punch on me at the Windmill (and it usually hits me with the 15% Instant Death...bastard).

Besides, who wouldn't want to swing a sword to do what he does? I'd love to obliterate the asshole tailgating me on the highway with one good Lightning Stab.

saviorindeath

Jun 28, 2010
Mine has to be Lulu and Aaron from X, they seemed the best combo and loved the way she carried her self.

The whole cast of IX, easily the best in the searese good cast,outstanding gameplay(imo)

Have to mention Zell, he was the only reason I finished VIII

Vincent, who dosent love him?

Locke and Kefka get an honrable mention

I think Im going to stop now before the list gets too long.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Balthier (FF12): A composed and charming character who feigns selfishness while hiding a good soul.

Basch (FF12): The very definition of an honorable knight. Might sound generic, but his lack of inner turmoil is refreshing in some respects.

Lightning (FF13): A newcomer to my list of favorites. Her character is believable and her plight is empathetic.

Sazh (FF13): My favorite character out of Final Fantasy 13, if only because he acts like a real human being and not a generic videogame character.

Vincent Valentine (Dirge of Cerberus): Gothic? Yes. Emo? Most definitely. Generic? As generic as a pistol-wielding vampire voiced by legendary voice actor Steve Blum can get. And...he's kind of likable...in those moments when he isn't brooding.

Tifa Lockheart (FF7): I just like her attitude...and the fact that she's the Chuck Norris of Final Fantasy 7.

Ashe (FF12): She balances a lust for power along with the burden to protect her country.

Doctor Cid (FF12): Just plain wacky. Check him out.

Reddas (FF12): Ugh...I hate the term "badass"...but he is...and he does it in pink pants.

Gabranth (FF12): His character is interesting enough, and his voice actor is superb...but he makes my list simply because he has one of the most emotional moments in Final Fantasy 12.

Coolshark

Jul 15, 2012
Vivi knows how to tug on the heartstrings, that's for damn sure. I felt more sympathetic to him than anyone else.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Alright, this is a difficult one for me. I've played a bunch of these games and liked most of the ones I played. So...I'm spliting it up.

Best Main Protagonist!

This is the central main, as opposed to his or her party/cohorts. For me, the answer is Zidane Tribal. Cloud was a close second for being the BFS-wielding badass that he is who defeated Sephiroth even before the guy had ANYTHING done to him, but Zidane has some things going for him, good things. Let's see...he's an expert thief who is honest with himself and his practice so as not to be jaded. He can perform, as that is What Tantalus does to keep the suspicion off of him. He's hella-fast and agile - See his solo-run through the dying tree at the end of the game for info there. - even USING that freakin' tail of his. Dude's also funny, in what he says or he does.

Best Party Character!

This was a tough call. There's so many of those guys. Finally, I have to call it a tie: Barret Wallace and Auron. Like I said, there's alot of good ones. Everyone loves an ass-kicker like Tifa Lockhart or Edgar Figaro with his chainsaw and hockey mask, but this is about what hits the real high-points across the board. Barret Wallace was leader of the only group actively fighting the bad guys. He's a motivated gutsy freedom fighter with the rights and lives of others at the forefront of his mind. He's also effectively Mr. T with a chaingun. I don't see a problem with this. Auron meets him at the same level because he's also a strongly-motivated character with the fate of the world on his mind. He's a badass swordsman who's so defiant of the situation on Spira that he comes BACK FROM THE DEAD to handle it. True, they're not the central heroes, but it so happens that their motivations and actions MADE the heroes of their respective games.

Best Overall Villain!

There's an endless stream of Sephiroth-VS-Kefka debate on the internet, and for my money...I like Sephiroth better. HOWEVER, he is not my actual vote. Because I've been exposed to more than just a few of these, I figure I'll go the distance. To me, the best villain in a Final Fantasy game is none other then X-Death, or Exodus. (Exodus always sounded cooler.) Let's review: Exodus is a force of raw evil and malevolence given shape by an even-greater source of evil that was trapped by the last generation of heroes in the time before FFV. In order to stave off his cruel destructive nature for longer than a few minutes, as well as keep the big evil at bay, the old heroes had to split the world they lived on into two separate worlds and keep Exodus imprisoned and powerless on one of them, him being held in check by one set of crystals, and the worlds held apart by another four. What happened? Well, it wasn't enough, was it? As soon as people started realizing these crystals and their power could be used for important things for mankind, he pushed some of his power through them and caused the things to break. And once released, he went on a rampage that caused rampant chaos and eventually released the great power of the big evil, which he merged with and...ohhh...TRIED TO ERASE THE UNIVERSE. No biggie, right?

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Delita Hyral.

Compelling story. Good motivation. Understandable character. Despite his flaws and end portrayal, he was not the villain.

The scene he killed "that one character" was epic. Tragic ending for him though. With that being said, did anyone know if...

He actually died from the stabwound?