Best game boy/ game boy advance RPGs

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
can someone suggest to me some good rpg's that i could play, one where i can make my own characters like you can have like a warrior, mage, etc etc i dont like rpg's where i am restricted to the game telling me what classes i get. can anyone help?

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
The Final Fantasy 1&2 Dawn of Souls game is pretty good in my opinion, but the two games that come with it are their own bag of goodies.

In 1, you have 6 different classes, you are very much limited to what those classes are when you choose your four characters in the beginning. Within those limits, you can have any combination, from your traditional warrior/thief/b.mage/w.mage to four red mages or anything in between. Still it is those predefined classes and you mentioned that is a turnoff.
In 2, your have different characters you get that level up differently depending on how you use them, with certain spells and skills getting stronger as you use that spell/weapon more. That may be more up your alley, depending on how much or how little restriction you want in your customization.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Golden Sun and it's sequel were my favourite gameboy advance games, pretty amazing.
You can customize your character's classes with the Djinn (little spirits that also fuel the summon attacks in combat).

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
There aren't many for the GBA. You could try Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, it's a tactical RPG where you can change the classes of your different characters etc.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
You could check out Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem Sacred Stones on GBA. Great tactical RPGs. Pretty tough too, when a character dies they are gone forever. In terms of choosing classes it might not be what you are looking for, however you can choose which class of characters to bring into battle.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Pokemon would be the obvious ones. Other than that Final Fantasy IV, V and VI on the GBA although I admit I only had IV...I am a sad, sad panda.

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
thanks for the suggestions, i have FF1 and 2 for the ipod (oddly the better graphics of all the ports 0_0) i loved ff1 but ff2 i never finished cos it bored the hell out of me. one game comes to mind not sure if it is an rpg but i remember seeing an advert of it but never the name, it was a game where you kill vampires and with the game came something which picks up sunlight so if you played it through the day the monsters where easy and through the night they where difficult. any idea what game that is?

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
You can't chance classes, but Riviera: The Promised Land has to be one of the best RPG's that I've ever played.

--> Edit: This is the game you are looking for OP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boktai:_The_Sun_Is_in_Your_Hand

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
How about Mazes of Fate? It's a GBA dungeon crawler along the lines of the original Eye of the Beholder trilogy. It was made by a South American developer, and it's a western RPG through and through. There are three character classes (Thief, Fighter, and Mage), and you can either pick a pre-made character or make your own. The game has an overhead view for towns and getting from town to town and dungeon to town, and a first person view for the dungeons. It's also somewhat rare in brick and mortar stores, since the developer never got a deal to get it into stores. It should be pretty easy to find online, though, since they sold it through Ebay and Amazon.com. All in all, it's a pretty darned cool game.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Big fan of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I still dig into the box of old stuff from my younger years, blow the dust off, and play where I left off.

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
i have tried golden sun for about 20 minutes and i'm not really sold on it :/ i know thats an unfair chance at it and i will play it more but i shall try something else in the mean time