Best game music.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Simple, link some of the best tunes from games, no remixes, just the original music. Try and put them in spoiler tags too so the thread doesn't take forever to load if we get too many vids.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Natemans said:
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger had unquestionably great music. But the upgrade in hardware audio fidelity really makes Chrono Cross a little superior.
But making Chrono Trigger's music so good limited by the SNES' S-SMP audio... makes it more of an accomplishment.

And in before anyone else mentions the great Akira Yamaoka, again.

Aug 31, 2012
I always go for the music from wipEout. It'd probably be a bit of a cheat to go for the licensed tunes, but the ones by Cold Storage were really good.

Secondly there is stage 4, from Axelay on the SNES. Getting what sounded like an actual vaguely ambient dance music track on the SNES was quite amazing for me at the time and it's stuck with me.

Silentpony said:
Sure I throw a few in there:
I keep forgetting how good the music in DoWII is. I've watched so many Indrid replays over the years that his BGM has almost wiped over it for me,.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'll put down the same thing every time this topic comes up.

It's my personal all-time favorite game tune, making it the best by default. Don't agree? Whatever, fight me!

[small]Unless your rebuttal is "What about Hydrocity Zone?". In that case I'll begrudgingly accept a tied first place, cuz that shit is pretty damn fucking good.[/small]

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has the best video game original soundtrack. Rabbit paws down.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zykon TheLich said:
I always go for the music from wipEout. It'd probably be a bit of a cheat to go for the licensed tunes, but the ones by Cold Storage were really good.

Secondly there is stage 4, from Axelay on the SNES. Getting what sounded like an actual vaguely ambient dance music track on the SNES was quite amazing for me at the time and it's stuck with me.

Silentpony said:
Sure I throw a few in there:
I keep forgetting how good the music in DoWII is. I've watched so many Indrid replays over the years that his BGM has almost wiped over it for me,.
Bah, I played a bunch of Dawn of War 2 and I can barely remember any track.

Total War: Warhammer 2 on the other hand:

Aug 31, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:

Uhh...good for you I guess? Can't say I recall any Total Warhammer tracks.

Also: Holy fucking shit, did I just get a quote notification for that? That takes me back.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zykon TheLich said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Uhh...good for you I guess? Can't say I recall any Total Warhammer tracks.

Also: Holy fucking shit, did I just get a quote notification for that? That takes me back.
Not for me for some reason.

Did you turned on yours?

Aug 31, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:

Did you turned on yours?
Possibly, now I come to think of it I think I saw this thread and turned mine on. I guess we'll just have to be thankful that we got view counters back.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.1052555.24230780

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zykon TheLich said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Did you turned on yours?
Possibly, now I come to think of it I think I saw this thread and turned mine on. I guess we'll just have to be thankful that we got view counters back.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.1052555.24230780
If it does not turn itself off in a month then its fixed.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
I recommend all of the Nier Automata tracks if I'm honest!
A few of my favourites are:

See also the two vocal variants.

There's also

And a couple of nods to the original Nier

I'll stop myself from posting the entire soundtrack, but it's all really bloody good!

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Gotta go with Mass Effect 1 & 2. ME1's soundtrack perfectly complements the game's events. Jack Wall killed it. Best part of that game was the music.

And the Suicide Mission track from ME2 was exactly what it needed to be. I'm pretty pleased with all of ME2's music, though.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Epic Music:

Sad Music:

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

I'm kinda of a sucker for JRPG's boss battle music...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The amount of Elder Scrolls music in this thread is way too low.

Also, Unreal Tournament '99.

McElroy said:
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has the best video game original soundtrack. Rabbit paws down.

Holy hell. Nostalgia wave. Although I for some reason remember this glorious song to have a little more bass and reverb to it. Who's responsible for this anywa- Oh. Alexander Brandon. That guy gets around.

BTW, fun fact, one of the main guys responsible for Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was also the creator of Dust: An Elysian Tail

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
My essentials....

The track that drew me to the game it'self which not only became my favorite franchise of the recent generations, introduced me to Perturbator who I now follow quite loyally, but convinced me that Dennaton were the sort of people who can save the gaming medium.

The track that showed me just how great gaming OST's can get with CD tech in their arsenal. Also the first OST I wanted by it'self, with or without the game

I always liked this track, but it's a perfect example of an OST fine wine; I appreciated it even more long after arcade's were dead.

My ACTUAL favorite side scrolling beat-em-up track would count as a remix, so I'm going with this one, a damn near perfect level track for busting heads. Shame it was for one of the shortest levels in the game :p