Best Game Trailers

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So of course there has to be a thread to balance the Worst Game Trailers thread.

While I understand that certain genres have (especially in the past, although still to this day) benefited from flashy CGI, I’ve increasingly been a huge proponent of trailers that use the game engine. With that, it’s interesting to see how God of War 3 faired from its initial cinematic gameplay teaser -

To the actual gameplay trailer -

I really hope that Ragnarok will recapture and rekindle that epic scale feel the older God of War games had, because 2016 was pretty lacking in that department. It’s fairly easy to overlook though considering how strong the rest of the game was, along with the newer, more intimate direction it took, but IMO they won’t be able to get away with that again.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I don't know if these are the best per say but I definitely spent too much time rewatching these trailers in my younger days.

This still gives me the shivers, even if it's because Beyond the Bounds absolutely slaps. I rewatched this way too many times in the days leading up to the game's release. But well I was young, internet was shit slow, smartphones didn't exist and I spent too much time on gamespy hyping shit up.

The trailer is also basically a digest of the entire goddamn game, granted the game itself isn't very long.

Yes there's basically a nicer higher res version of this for the game's rerelease, but that blurry low-resness is part of my memories and experience.

Zero absolutely slaps.

Betcha' can't stick it. Earth City is also one of my favourite Halo 2 tracks. Too bad this entire trailer was smoke and mirrors and was basically scrapped and never actually made it into the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Hi, big Halo nerd here.

Pretty much all of Halo's trailers are amazing - but if I had to pick a couple...

For most games, CG trailers and live action trailers make my eyes roll, because I just want to see the game

But for Halo... I can't really say no

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Decided to play this again, as I was having a Star Wars itch. And I remembered how much I enjoyed the reveal trailer.

The music, the hiss of the saber ignition, that brilliant blue glow, followed by that iconic hum. The tone of the "rules of survival." All of it just really punches all my Yes Please buttons.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Oh man, I would have loved to play this game. Not the Frankenstein’s monster that was Fuse. This game. With this exact 1960s James Bond and GI Joe like setting and tone.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hi, big Halo nerd here.

Pretty much all of Halo's trailers are amazing - but if I had to pick a couple...

For most games, CG trailers and live action trailers make my eyes roll, because I just want to see the game

But for Halo... I can't really say no
I've never actually played Halo, but these 2 trailers I thought were really well done, just from a narrative structure. Felt very much like a student art film or something.

And then this one.

Both of them have a similar feel of the intercut shots of before/after for the soldier. And they're done almost entirely without dialogue, just soundtrack.

Didn't ever compel me to play the games, because I'd see game footage and be like "....yyyeaah, it's still Halo, not my jam" But the trailers...very solid work.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've never actually played Halo, but these 2 trailers I thought were really well done, just from a narrative structure. Felt very much like a student art film or something.

And then this one.

Both of them have a similar feel of the intercut shots of before/after for the soldier. And they're done almost entirely without dialogue, just soundtrack.

Didn't ever compel me to play the games, because I'd see game footage and be like "....yyyeaah, it's still Halo, not my jam" But the trailers...very solid work.
More or less my reaction. Oh, Halo Reach. I know more people got invested into the game after they saw Ego Raptor's video. Not for the exact right reasons...