BEST gaming communities

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
Usually this is a negative "who/what/which is the worst," but does anyone have a gaming community they actually ENJOY?

For me it's Starcraft 2. 99% of the people on their are very respectable and polite. It's the only game I know where you wish you opponent good luck before the game (gl hf= good luck have fun) and then compliment them once they've bested you at the end with a gg (good game).

New players don't often know the rules of etiquette, but it's an utter rarity to not be shown this bit of respect by any player (again, once you graduate bronze league). It's also the only game where I've had players significantly better than me invite me to custom games, play me, then go over methods of improvement after the match is over. Usually elite players don't dedicate any time to help out new players.

It's easy to rage if someone cheeses you with a proxy or cannon rush, but most players are actually mad at themselves more because anyone over bronze league knows how to defeat those builds, but then again, we all make mistakes.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Team Fortress 2 is always pretty nice. There are the...less nice servers, but most are filled with calm, friendly people. Of course, I haven't played since Free to Play began...

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
mrbonzai211 said:
It's easy to rage if someone cheeses you with a proxy or cannon rush, but most players are actually mad at themselves more because anyone over bronze league knows how to defeat those builds
No way. Before the master's league came out in an update, I was in low diamond and I had very little clue of how to play, much less how to defend against specific beginning strats. I recognize that the overall quality of play may have gone up (I haven't been playing), but still I'm sure at least gold and below do not necessarily know what to do about all basic rushes, much less perform the defenses. Rushes are particularly frustrating at low skill levels because they are much, much easier to do than to scout and defend, which in turn makes those matches much more luck-based. It's also hard to train against any particular rush if you don't specifically do it with a practice partner, whereas you can practice things related to solid builds most of the time while laddering.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Starcraft II is my favorite. Anytime you go on people always start with 'Good luck' or 'Best of luck to you' and End with 'Good Game' or 'Great game, dude.' And almost always add your afterwards and invite you to play with them again.

And would you count the Roosterteeth Community? Some of the nicest Halo Players I have ever met in my life.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Nutcase said:
mrbonzai211 said:
It's easy to rage if someone cheeses you with a proxy or cannon rush, but most players are actually mad at themselves more because anyone over bronze league knows how to defeat those builds
No way. Before the master's league came out in an update, I was in low diamond and I had very little clue of how to play, much less how to defend against specific beginning strats. I recognize that the overall quality of play may have gone up (I haven't been playing), but still I'm sure at least gold and below do not necessarily know what to do about all basic rushes, much less perform the defenses. Rushes are particularly frustrating at low skill levels because they are much, much easier to do than to scout and defend, which in turn makes those matches much more luck-based. It's also hard to train against any particular rush if you don't specifically do it with a practice partner, whereas you can practice things related to solid builds most of the time while laddering.
How are you in Diamond? I'm just barely in gold, and I can both execute and defend against almost any rush.

OT: I'd like to second the OP, Starcraft 2 has one of the most helpful communities ever.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Back when I played loads, I loved the online community on Guild Wars. Sometimes I'd just pop on and sit in the Guild Hall not doing anything just to talk to people.

Of course...then it got all political...there was an uprising...rebel, rival guilds were made...it all fell apart. Still, it was a lot of fun - it was like a film or something. I might write that...

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Team Fortress 2 was pretty good until it was free to play and now all I keep hearing is how freebies are ruining the community.

Those I run into with a mic on Rock Band tend to be pretty nice people. Although you get a few who are insanely annoying or "DLC or gtfo" oriented.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
guild wars! the way the game is structured just seems to be very effective at creating a positive and friendly community. usually there is someone just offering to help out new players
in general chat, lots of parties/events/giveaways and all in all just a lack of rude people in general, obviously you run into some jerks now and then but for the most part i think guild wars has a really awesome community

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Vibhor said:
Dwarf fortress forumites. Every post made in the forums is pure gold.
This, always a fun read to visit the forum of dwarf fortress.

Also back when Dekaron still had a big community it was a nice place to hang out at, even if hackers roamed all the maps <.<

Shadowfury333

Mar 26, 2009
I'd have to also mention DF.

While it doesn't really exist anymore, back in the day the Descent community was incredibly mannered, especially for a first-person shooter. Spawnkilling and killing people who were chatting was actually frowned upon, and the proper response to getting killed was to type "nice one" to your killer. That last bit alone is probably why it was so well-mannered. Everyone playing would be constantly reminding themselves that this is, first and foremost, a game, and should not be taken completely seriously.

Also, though it is very tiny, the Achron (not Archon) community is really nice, though that may be a question of size.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Dwarf Fortress gains another vote. The only time I've seen it get bad was the "Most evil thing you've done" thread, which was pretty hilarious until some guy pushed it over the edge and it got deleted. The community on GOG is also usually pretty nice.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
i didnt play for long but Alien swarm had a good comunity, everyone i met was nice and polite.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Hafrael said:
Nutcase said:
mrbonzai211 said:
How are you in Diamond? I'm just barely in gold, and I can both execute and defend against almost any rush.
Like I said, I'm not anymore. I was in Diamond when it was the highest league but haven't played after that, so taking into account of how the game has probably improved, I might really be more like low platinum now.

Probably, less people attempted super-early rushes like 7-pool and cannoning on me because I played random. Nevertheless, I couldn't deal with that stuff with any degree of consistency, so when someone did it I lost often. Out of all 9 matchups I had no practiced build order for any matchup except TvZ, otherwise I was just winging it. T and Z I mostly tried to play solidly one way or another, out-harassing and out-macroing the other guy. P I didn't like to play so any time I spawned as P I did more and more retarded rushes - I'm talking void ray as first fighting unit, gateway all-in without warpgate, 1-base warp prism DT etc. On low skill levels rushing is so much easier than defending that I still won a decent amount of those P games at what was then platinum level.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
The Witcher 1 & 2 forum dwellers are a nice bunch. It's a shame about all the trouble that CDPR has had with getting its new forum up and running, but the fan community is really nice. Stay away from the comments sections on the game website, though.

As a corollary, GoG.com forums are also generally very nice and very helpful with a good sense of humor about gaming and the world in general.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Monxerot said:
Rift community
its essentially wow but heres a few examples why Rift > WoW community
*ask question in general*
WoW: UMG NUBL2P rofl just fukken google it
Rift: Sure you just *gives good relevant answer*

example 2
Tank happens to die once in a dungeon
WoW: WTF n00b tank get more stamina and suck less
Rift: Ah damn sorry man my heal didnt reach in time even though i know this boss is kind of hits like a truck, ill res ya and then we'll have another go.
Yeah, I only played RIFT for a month or so before I tired of it (As I do with all MMO's) but from what I experienced the community was very good.

Lord of the Rings Online was amazing until the free-to-play update, the community kinda took a dive. Haven't played it since, I assume it's gotten better.