Best gaming platform OF ALL TIME?

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
PC, because Consoles are basically now multimedia players that also happen to run games. Plus we probably won't lose the PC in coming years due to all of the things it can do.

Also this.
Hashime said:
How could it not be the computer? The first major home computer, the Commodore 64 was a huge gaming platform. Even now there are far more games available on the computer than all of the other current platforms combined.
Also a PC can emulate consoles, Pc wins because it can play consoles.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
PC doesn't count.

I am a PC gamer. A PC-only gamer. And I still think PC doesn't count here. If it does, then all the Nintendo consoles should count as one platform as well. We could try breaking up the PC by generations, but the criteria gets more arbitrary as we go along. Also, PC isn't a dedicated gaming platform, so that also disqualifies it.

I love my PC and I'm unlikely to start console gaming until I get massive amounts of surplus money, but I think that it shouldn't be a viable pick in situations like these. Coming into a discussion like this and going "PC! *trollface*" isn't helping anyone.

That being said, I'm voting for the PS2. Probably the most widespread and long lived console with a huge game library including some of the best games ever made. It's got it all - ease of use, backwards compatibility with the PS1, ages fairly well, longevity, selection of games, durable hardware, etc. Best game console ever.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
PC Hands Down.
Jandau said:
PC doesn't count.

I am a PC gamer. A PC-only gamer. And I still think PC doesn't count here.
I don't see how the PC can not-count. I see it as a race where you have a clear frontrunner, which you can't just disqualify because it makes the other guys feel bad. It'd be like asking which digital distribution system was the best, and not allowing people to say 'Steam'.

The argument for the PC is pretty clear, multi function, timeless, upgradeable, largest and most retro-compatible library. Cheapest titles (Thanks to aforementioned digital distribution), completely customised controls (you can play, for example, xbox games, ON your PC, WITH any PC controls you like OR an adapted Xbox controller). Want a joystick? BAM. Want a trackball? BAM. Want an Xbox controller? Bam. Want faster aim/turn speed and a larger controller with more buttons? BAM. Want the largest online multiplayer matches? BAM. Want higher framerate and resolution? BAM.

PC. BAM.

[sub][sub]... Loves his PC, but still plays FIFA with his friends on the 360, but knows for sure which one he'd rather be without[/sub][/sub]

Popeman

Nov 6, 2011
I think the PS2 is the best selling one of all time. With likely the best line up on any console it also likely got more people into gaming witch you can take as a good thing or a bad thing. But I foresee this hole thing turning into a PC vs console thing witch doesn't happen often enough.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Capt. Crankypants said:
PC Hands Down.
Jandau said:
PC doesn't count.

I am a PC gamer. A PC-only gamer. And I still think PC doesn't count here.
I don't see how the PC can not-count. I see it as a race where you have a clear frontrunner, which you can't just disqualify because it makes the other guys feel bad. It'd be like asking which digital distribution system was the best, and not allowing people to say 'Steam'.

The argument for the PC is pretty clear, multi function, timeless, upgradeable, largest and most retro-compatible library. Cheapest titles (Thanks to aforementioned digital distribution), completely customised controls (you can play, for example, xbox games, ON your PC, WITH any PC controls you like OR an adapted Xbox controller). Want a joystick? BAM. Want a trackball? BAM. Want an Xbox controller? Bam. Want faster aim/turn speed and a larger controller with more buttons? BAM. Want the largest online multiplayer matches? BAM. Want higher framerate and resolution? BAM.

PC. BAM.

[sub][sub]... Loves his PC, but still plays FIFA with his friends on the 360, but knows for sure which one he'd rather be without[/sub][/sub]
I get the feeling that you think ending a statement with "BAM." makes you right 100% of the time... :p

Seriously though, I don't dispute most of what you said, but you also went ahead and ignored 90% of my post. I explained why the PC shouldn't count - it's simply in a different weight category. It's not a single platform, it's a continuum of constantly changing hardware. There is not enough basis for comparison.

I never said PC was a bad platform. I don't need you to "point out" its advantages. Heck, it's my platform of choice. But I don't think that it has any place in this discussion because it operates under different rules than gaming consoles. It has nothing to do with quality.

Also, as soon as people bring the PC into threads like this one, it swiftly devolves into a Console Fanboys VS PC Fanboys flamewars, and that's utterly pointless.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
For me, it would be PS1. Such a major part of my childhood, so naturally I choose PS1.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
A desk.
I funneh man.

Seriously, I'd vote for the N64 personally. I only had five games on it but I had sooooooooooo much fun with them and the console.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Manji187 said:
I'd say the X-1080 from 2020. What? You did say OF ALL TIME did you not...that includes the future. No...wait. The Holodeck from 2222 is also great....and 2424's "Matrix" is even better.
heeheh; nice slip. If only I meant the future as well!

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Jandau said:
Capt. Crankypants said:
-snipped meself-
I get the feeling that you think ending a statement with "BAM." makes you right 100% of the time... :p

Seriously though, I don't dispute most of what you said, but you also went ahead and ignored 90% of my post. I explained why the PC shouldn't count - it's simply in a different weight category. It's not a single platform, it's a continuum of constantly changing hardware. There is not enough basis for comparison.

I never said PC was a bad platform. I don't need you to "point out" its advantages. Heck, it's my platform of choice. But I don't think that it has any place in this discussion because it operates under different rules than gaming consoles. It has nothing to do with quality.

Also, as soon as people bring the PC into threads like this one, it swiftly devolves into a Console Fanboys VS PC Fanboys flamewars, and that's utterly pointless.
I would have to disagree about the PC being a platform of it's own. I'd use the justification for this as being, "are games produced for the purpose of being played on this platform". This of course includes Smartphones and Tablets, because they have a selection of games designed for them, but there are also different levels of hardware, you know? New smartphones keep coming out, same as PC upgrades. There are even different versions of the other platforms, some 360s having bigger hard-drives than others. In the same ballpark really.

No, I'm not trying to convert anyone to PC-ism, but a thread titled 'best gaming platform of all time' is bound to have people listing their opinion, and hopefully some sort of reasoning, which is what I provided. I think the OP's choice of words is indicator enough of what he's after, he DID say 'platform' rather than 'console'.

BAM :p

However, for your amusement...satisfaction...whatever, I will say that, apart from the PC, I'd say the PS2. Even though I've had much more fun on the N64 and Xbox360, I'd put my own bias aside and say that the backwards compatibility, DVD player+remote, slim design and vast game library make it one of the best platforms ever.

Until the cat knocks it over. Then it's useful as a paperweight.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
By "console", I'm going to assume he means "Proprietary Platform", since PC (while overwhelmingly Windows) can refer to commitment to any computer OS.

So..
The PS2 has an incredibly strong game library, but so did the SNES and PSX. (among hand-helds, the GBA too)

And loathe as I am to credit Microsoft, this is an honest judgment...the Xbox 360 has a strong NATIVE variety due to digital distribution via Xbox Live (and most of these end up getting ported half-assed to PC)
PS3 has more studio exclusives, but they still lag behind XBLA's native offerings given Sony's later entry into the online market.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
PC can do anything.

That's right, with the correct software it can run games from any other gaming platform.

PC games also have mods that: fixes bugs the developer never fixed, enhance gameplay, enhance graphics, and even dramatically change the game.