Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Davrel said:
Edit (previous post made no sense):

These:

Untergang - Germany
Amelie - France
Is Der Untergang the movie that has the parodied Hitler speech in it? Have never seen it altough I've heard only good.

Loved Amelie, it's very well...whimsical?

Whenever I think of french cinema I think of Audrey Hepburn and her skinny ass that turned women around the globe into bulimics. She's not French, I know, but she's so desperately trying.
Yep, thats it; really, really worth a watch.
And yeah, Amelie, the two things that really get me about that film are: the stunning Audrey Tatou and the excellent music.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
I've just seen Aguirre (which is where my avatar is from) and thought about the influences different countries have on film making. List your top movies from different countries! GO!

France: Delicatessen
Germany: Aguirre
USA: 2001
England: Lawrence of Arabia
Japan: The Seven Samurai
China: Internal Affairs
Italy: 1900
Canada: Sodomy in Newfoundland (oh snap!)
The parts in bold seem to contradict each other, unless you believe that the best influence the USA had on film making was to make people not want to film there...

I know Kubrick and MGM are American, but the majority of 2001 was filmed in Britain, and stylistically it's not really representative of American film making.
I'd consider it more of a collaboration between the UK and US if I had to assign a national identity to that film, especially since it was a collaboration between Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, and resembles British Sci-Fi like Quatermass more then American Sci-Fi like Close Encounters.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
I love Hero, its from China, anyone heard of it? Especially the fight on the water, s'wicked

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Paddin said:
I love Hero, its from China, anyone heard of it? Especially the fight on the water, s'wicked
Yeah, it's that movie with all the arrows flying, right? I like it.
Jamash said:
I know Kubrick and MGM are American, but the majority of 2001 was filmed in Britain, and stylistically it's not really representative of American film making.
I'd consider it more of a collaboration between the UK and US if I had to assign a national identity to that film, especially since it was a collaboration between Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, and resembles British Sci-Fi like Quatermass more then American Sci-Fi like Close Encounters.
Fair enough. I mostly looked at the director's nationality for this, but it's a fair assumptions that most of Kubrick's films have large british influences in them.