Best Intro to a game?

oden636

Jun 15, 2009
This one is simple, whats the best intro to a game, by that i mean the cinematics if their is any!
Mine would be either the original Dawn of War as that was astonishing for its time and was immersive and made it real. My second would be the Final Fantasy X intro, i loved blitzball + music + sin destroying a city!

Whats yours???

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
oden636 said:
My second would be the Final Fantasy X intro, i loved blitzball + music + sin destroying a city!
100% this. The opening to FFX is epic, in fact, pretty much the whole opening hour or so ('til you get sucked into Sin) is such a good intro.

I'm also gonna say Psychonauts, just for ".....please don't kill us lake monster!!"

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
How about the intro to a sequel? Set to awesome music, it managed to sum up the events of the previous games in the series without spoiling anything: showed the characters, summarised events, and introduced where the new game was starting. My personal favourite:

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Dawn of War, for sure. I still watch that cinematic for kicks. If the upcoming Ultramarines movie manages to be half that epic, it will be a spectacular success.
I must embed it, to subject those who have not seen it to the copious amounts of win.

Although Warcraft III and Borderlands had pretty great openers too.

mayhar

Jul 15, 2009
Borderlands. Best. into. ever.

but seriously, every time i hear aint no rest for the wicked i have to go back and play it

almostnot

Apr 20, 2010
Vandal Hearts for the baddass voice over declaring "Sostergaria" in such a sobering tone of voice, plus the little etherial singing before that.

Oh and the teddy bear that gets crushed by someone's armored fist for almost no reason.

F-ing A!

GuyWithABeard

May 27, 2010
Georgie_Leech" post="9.197597.6404198 said:
How about the intro to a sequel? Set to awesome music, it managed to sum up the events of the previous games in the series without spoiling anything: showed the characters, summarised events, and introduced where the new game was starting. My personal favourite:

I have to agree with this person. Kingdom Hearts still rules the opening sequences, sequel or not.

Utada Hikaru provides some amazing music with these very cinematic and beautiful cutscenes.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Fallout 2. It really helps you get into the "mood" for the game, give you an idea of what the game's world is like, and even gives a brief glimpse of the game's big bad.

Admittedly, while it is suitably epic, I think the intro to Dawn of War reflects badly on the nameless Space Marine commander. I mean, they're supposed to be masters of warfare, and he just gave up a good defensive position for a suicidal charge that not only got his troops wiped out, but also got a Dreadnought (who, if you know the lore of 40k, is not only a rare and difficult to replace machine, but also a nearly-dead veteran Space Marine) blown to bits.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Day of the Tentacle. There was a stage when I would play that game every day to watch the intro, up to the point where you take control of Hoagie.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Yokai said:
Dawn of War, for sure. I still watch that cinematic for kicks. If the upcoming Ultramarines movie manages to be half that epic, it will be a spectacular success.
I must embed it, to subject those who have not seen it to the copious amounts of win.

Although Warcraft III and Borderlands had pretty great openers too.
You hear the teaser for Ultramarine is coming out on the 29th? That will show what grade of CGI we are going to be looking at. The movie sounds awesome to me. I would agree with you on the intro.

However for music I would go Battletoads in Battlemaniacs intro.