Best jrpgs that aren't final fantasy or dragon quest

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Mypetmonkey said:
Ahhhhh the weekly list all the jRPG lists.... Again....
It can get a bit repetitive. Would it kill you guys to describe some of the games?

Huge lists aren't really helpful.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
my favorites: (loosely in order)
- Star Ocean 3 (action rpg)
- Lost Odyssey (turn based)
- Legend of Dragoon (turn based)
- Chrono Cross (turn based)
- Star Ocean 4 (action rpg) <360/PS3>
- Grandia 2 (turn based) <PS2/DC>

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Persona 3 and 4. Dating simulator mechanics + dungeon crawling + fucking insane story = super awesome fun times.

And then there's the Golden Sun games on the GBA if you want something more traditional.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
jebara said:
Persona 4
Persona 4
Dark Souls(if it counts)
Persona 4
Persona 3
Persona 4

Korten12 said:
The Wykydtron said:
lRookiel said:
Is Dark souls a JRPG? Some say it is and some say it isn't.

Anyway, my vote goes for Dark souls :3
Dark Souls? More like... Dark SHIT! LMA0 OWN3D!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Persona 4 is best game ever. If you still have a PS2 you can get it dirt cheap at probably no more than £15 for a 40/50/60 hour game

Apparently Golden is really good as a standalone from the original but I still doubt it's that much different from the original to be worth buying a Vita solely for that one game. The handheld market really doesn't appeal to me too much, i'll just buy all the Visual Novel-esque games that everyone says are good and stop there and that's more of Nintendo thing I believe.

By that I mean the Ace Attorney games are all on the DS so I have to get one.
Persona 4 Golden is a loooooooot better than the original. With more events through the year, the new character Marie, an epilogue that takes place after persona 4 arena, expansion on explaining the ending, Adachi and Marie social links, more personas, updated combat, new anime cutscenes, night time, extra dungeon, and a new dark ending.
I'd disagree.
Golden's difficulty has been toned down to the point of ridiculous,the player is too easily overleveled and the boss fights have been nerfed to hell.
Marie is unlikable and the new events are hit or miss with most of it being on the miss side,Chie's voice is annoying as hell in the beginning(gets better later on though)and some of the new stuff like gardening is dumb.
There is some good additions like better battle commentary,fusion skill select and the Ski trip and epilogue are great(although the really bad dungeon and boss fight that come with them out wiegh them) but overall, the original is just waaaay better.
Sorry if this comes off as "Your opinion is wrong", I don't mean that, but since you were talking about original vs Golden I thought I would give my input.
On the topic of Chie's new voice, I had no experience with her original voice but hearing it after the new one... I really really hate the old voice. It just doesn't fit her dialogue at all, which her voice sounds like its supposed to be mature but the dialogue is anything but.

As for Marie, I liked her. She wasn't ground breaking but I found her social link and ultimate reveal to be great (which sort of explains why she was like how she was.) Only thing I found was her dungeon was kind of annoying but I felt the ending to it wieghed it out.

As for the events? The Junes concert, the beach trip, I found to be also fun. They gave me good laughs and just expanded on the characters more and gave you more time to be with them. Which is hardly a bad thing.

Also for the difficulty, just put it higher. You can put the specifics (exp rate, money rate, etc,) and make it harder if it isn't. The only thing I can really see being easier is NG+, but that is if you decide to use the stuff from the original playthrough which gives you a large advantage.

Also, how could the original be better... When it has less content? It's like saying Halo Anniversary is worse than Halo 1 despite the second one having just more (in the case of anniversary the new graphics.)

Lastly, yeah your post kind of comes off as "Your opinion is wrong."

I mean, unless Golden took out things and actually hampered the experience, there is no way the original version can be considered better. Since objectively, the Golden version is better. Sure not everything in Golden may go well with players of the original but still.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
I have not played a lot of Jrpgs, but I can certainly reconmend the Breath of Fire series. Breath of Fire III for the PS1 in particular is one of my favorite games of all time. I have heard the Fire Emblem series is pretty good as well, although I have only played Sacred Stones (which was great).

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Korten12 said:
On the topic of Chie's new voice, I had no experience with her original voice but hearing it after the new one... I really really hate the old voice. It just doesn't fit her dialogue at all, which her voice sounds like its supposed to be mature but the dialogue is anything but.

As for Marie, I liked her. She wasn't ground breaking but I found her social link and ultimate reveal to be great (which sort of explains why she was like how she was.) Only thing I found was her dungeon was kind of annoying but I felt the ending to it wieghed it out.

As for the events? The Junes concert, the beach trip, I found to be also fun. They gave me good laughs and just expanded on the characters more and gave you more time to be with them. Which is hardly a bad thing.

Also for the difficulty, just put it higher. You can put the specifics (exp rate, money rate, etc,) and make it harder if it isn't. The only thing I can really see being easier is NG+, but that is if you decide to use the stuff from the original playthrough which gives you a large advantage.

Also, how could the original be better... When it has less content? It's like saying Halo Anniversary is worse than Halo 1 despite the second one having just more (in the case of anniversary the new graphics.)

Lastly, yeah your post kind of comes off as "Your opinion is wrong."

I mean, unless Golden took out things and actually hampered the experience, there is no way the original version can be considered better. Since objectively, the Golden version is better. Sure not everything in Golden may go well with players of the original but still.
I was playing on hard and the game was still super piss easy.
Only Margaret and Shadow Mitsou put up a fight, and all very hard does is just limit your SP.
Chie's new voice is just unbearable in the beginning and a lot of times she sounds pretty awkward, I know Persona has some awkward voice acting moments but new Chie just takes it to another level, just have her as part of your party and listen.
The super easiness of the game is the main reason the original is better but the new Chie also kills a few great moments of the game.
As for hampering the experience the couple of new perverted scenes did that for me,as well as that bike trip with hanako, I know the game had that running gag "Look she's fat and ugly!", it sucked but bringing more of it only makes it worse.
The trips like the beach or the concert didn't really do it for me,the only big stand out for me are the Ski trip and epilogue and Marie was pretty unlikable along with her cliche amnesia story line.

Again, I'm coming off as that "your wrong!" guy and I don't mean that.
What I'm trying to say is that the new stuff to me isn't enough to make up for the worse voice acting and non existent difficulty and therefor I prefer the original.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Obviously, for one to find the best Jrpg we must look to the game that turned everything about Jrpg's on their heads. And i know one game that did just that, the greatest Jrpg of all time is.....

DRAKENGARD!

....No, just kidding. The best JRPG is actually:

NIER!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Breath of fire series has my vote (except dragon quarter), i never tire of having a protagonist who can transform into a dragon, equalizes the playing field with the bosses you'll be fighting.

Id say Wild arms too but dunno if that can really count as a jrpg.

Oh Star Ocean series is pretty cool, always like their parallel stories and tons of different ending variations schstick.