Best Kevin Smith Film Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Kevin Smith Film Ever

The guys detail out what makes Kevin Smith great.

Read Full Article

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Chasing Amy is my favorite Kevin Smith flick by far and I love pretty much all of his movies except for Jersey Girl, which is just merely "okay".

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I take mild umbrage with the "can't write women" criticism for Tarantino and Smith. Kill Bill and Death Proof were almost entirely female casts and were really dialog centric. It could be argued that the "lead" in Inglourious Basterds isn't Aldo, but Shoshanna whose story opens the movie and makes up the majority of the middle and the climax. Uma Thurman's character is so memorable in Pulp Fiction that she is the only one on the cover of the DVD. Jackie Brown was the title character of her respective movie.

I feel like even in Clerks that the writing for the female roles was particularly strong and the give and take during the "37" scene feels very natural, thus what makes it so funny. Say what one will about Jersey Girl, but Kevin's "voice" in that movie is most strongly represented by Liv Tyler's character and it is what carries the film. Rosario Dawson in Clerks 2 grounds the story in a sense of reality, much in the same way that Elizabeth Banks does in Zack and Miri. Compared to other filmmakers in the genre, Smith writes for women much better than most. Who are natural female characters in Apatow movies? It's pretty much just Leslie Mann.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Very glad the win went to Clerks - I have real trouble picking a favourite Smith film between Clerks and Clerks 2. Something about Dogma just didn't chime with me, perhaps because I know relatively little about Catholicism.

Always fun to read your reasons behind the choices and judgements.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
I would of said Dogma is the better film, that being said I am a practicing Catholic so alot of the jokes really did chime with me where they might not other people. That being said, I don't think there is a really bad Kevin Smith (I haven't seen Red State though).

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
I like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back it's really dumb but i love that movie for some reason

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
PunkyMcGee said:
I like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back it's really dumb but i love that movie for some reason
I agree with you there! It's my second favourite!

My favourite Kevin Smith film is Mall Rats! :p That one cracks me up tenfold! :D

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
BroJing said:
That being said, I don't think there is a really bad Kevin Smith (I haven't seen Red State though).
I seriously recommend Red State. I enjoyed it as a Suspense/Horror flick and I believe it is still on Netflix. For me, it does for cult-like groups what God Bless America does for douchbags.