Best Legitimately Funny Video Games

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
Ben There, Dan That managed to successfully lampoon all the old classic Lucasfilm point and click games, which was no mean feat considering they already successfully lampooned themselves.

Also going to mention a few flash games in the vain hope that they'll become better known: You have to burn the rope, Johnny Rocketfingers, and Blocks With Letters On.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I miss Serious Sam on that list :(
You had Sam's oneliners, sometimes wacky secrets. BFE was a bit to much of a straight face though.

The Scollard

Aug 10, 2010
I would add the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 onto that list. The story is filled with so many laugh-out-loud moments (The mission with Javik before the party, or Grunt's Hangover-style adventures, anyone?) It doesn't take itself seriously and has a fun and hopeful atmosphere. It pays homage to the entire series, while also ripping into it. Speaking of which... I should go.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
T_ConX said:
Borderlands 2 wasn't funny. At least, not without the Remove-Anthony-Burch mod, which removes all of the bad jokes from the game. Turns it into a silent movie, but that's an improvement over dealing with all those lazily overused memes...
I'm actually amazed it took 10 posts before someone felt they needed to share the golden "X wasn't funny" nugget.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
You didn't mention Stubbs the Zombie! Excellent and amusing game. The bards tale amused me when I was younger too.

DeathDaisy

Sep 17, 2009
I honestly think the first Borderlands is incredibly much funnier than Borderlands 2. It's got a subtlety and cleverness the sequel lacks. I think the second is a case of trying too hard. Just look at that fucking Smiling Jack; his quips about how rich he is and how much lolrandum but oh so evil stuff he can do with that money just makes me annoyed.

Apr 24, 2008
AkaDad said:
I'll add No One Lives Forever to the list. Great game and it's hilarious as well.
That's a personal fave of mine. Would be nice to get some shooters like that again. With colour and humour.

I would say Giants: Citizen Kabuto was very funny too.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Goat Simulator: Seriously?

...anything made by Blizzard: Because Diablo is a laugh a minute.

Too much nonsensical pandering, and as others have stated, too many obvious omissions.

A weak list.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Could I add Postal 2?
I know it would probably be considered bad form to even mention it, but it does have a great amount of funny moments.

Postal 3 on the other hand....

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance was meant to be funny, right? Cos that was hilarious. Raiden disguising himself by wearing a big hat. Memes. A talking robot dog with a chainsaw that has philosophical debates regarding sentience. Everything in the final boss. "Nanomachines, son."

I really hope that was all on purpose...

Gregory Wollf

Jun 13, 2011
Why is Tropico 4 not on this list? Seriously, the solid city builder is marinated in humor and should be on this list. The premise is funny, the characters are funny, the building writeups that nobody ever reads are funny, and the voice acting is funny. We're talking high quality satire and absurdity here.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Gregory Wollf said:
Why is Tropico 4 not on this list? Seriously, the solid city builder is marinated in humor and should be on this list. The premise is funny, the characters are funny, the building writeups that nobody ever reads are funny, and the voice acting is funny. We're talking high quality satire and absurdity here.
its ok , not everybody understands tropicos true genius.. seen the trailers for tropico 5 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1BDJkYxsCc

Gregory Wollf

Jun 13, 2011
RedBackDragon said:
Gregory Wollf said:
its ok , not everybody understands tropicos true genius.. seen the trailers for tropico 5 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1BDJkYxsCc
Heck yes I have. Brilliant!

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
I'd say the biggest omission from the list is Blood Dragon. Even the tutorial was hilarious, and it only got better from there.