Best Metal Album

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
In my time here in this here forum I have noticed the General Consensus towards metal music. So I was wondering what you internet people out there considered to be the greatest Metal Album.
For me I eventually broke it down to 4 different albums
1. Paranoid by Black Sabbath To me this pretty much epitomises metal and all of its awesomeness it paved the way for many more metal bands.
2. Master Of Puppets by Metallica it was the album that really got me into metal. It has some pretty awesome songs on it especially the titular song Master Of Puppets which inspired E1M1 from the original DOOM.
3. Reign In Blood by Slayer. All round I would say this album is awesome and is the perfect example of thrash metal and metal in general really.
4. The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden. It is awesome and has some really good songs my personal favourite being Hallowed Be Thy Name.

So tell me what you consider to be the best metal albums and please no starting a flame war over who is the best it is pointless.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
I'm not gonna say whats best because that'll change from person to person but favorite will go something like this:

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires
System of a Down - System of a Down
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys
Strapping Young Lad - City

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I would probably say Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection. It is just a perfect album. Some hot contenders for my favourite album are Focus by Cynic and Noctambulant by Spawn of Possession. Also None so Vile by Cryptopsy.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I'd have to say: 'Necrotism: Descanting the Insalubrious' by Carcass.
That's if I could only pick one.

If I can pick one more, it would be:
'Ethereal Mirror' by Cathedral

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Some of my favourites, and contenders for my idea of best metal album are:

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Ride the Lightning - Metallica
The Gallery - Dark Tranquillity
Whoracle - In Flames
Clayman - In Flames
The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Holy Diver - Dio
Balls to the Wall - Accept
The Blessed Hellride - Black Label Society
Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy Osbourne

Yeah, that's a lot, but they're all fantastic albums, and I love them so.

famousninja

May 27, 2008
You're asking for trouble here.

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omnicient
Grand Magus - Wolf's Return
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Tim McMillan - Afterparty
Uncle Chunk - Join The Dots
Opeth - Deliverance

I dare you monkeys to find nothing you like in there.

Although an honorable mention is They Might Be Giants - Here Comes Science.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KyciKHw-g

So sue me. I get 10 bucks if you hum either of these two.

edit: spelling

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
Fithakk said:
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
a genuine classic
Oh crap I forgot about The Number Of The Beast that album is awesome. Great now I have to go and edit it.

famousninja said:
You're asking for trouble here.
I know but tempting fate is fun.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
Yeah "Strapping Young Lad - City" is the best I've seen in this thread so far, but I'm not a huge fan of that sort of metal.
IMO it's one of the following:

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity

Octavia Sperati - Grace Submerged

Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Wow, this is a hard one. I'll list a few I can think of right now. I'll try to pick some that I haven't seen in the thread yet, so hopefully someone will find some new music.
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns or With Odin on Our Side
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Narnia - Course of a Generation (I normally don't go for christian stuff, but this album is amazing! It also isn't obviously religious. When you know it, you can tell, but they never talk about Jesus or anything, and I take the lyrics other ways and put the meaning into my own life.)
Sepultura - Chaos AD
Paths of Possession - Promises in Blood (Great death/thrash metal album. If you like Cannibal Corpse or Dark Faith, you'll love this album)
Sentenced - The Funeral Album, Cold White Light, or Crimson (I can't choose, they are all different and great)
Iced Earth - Everything!
Elvenking - Heathenreel (Folk Power Metal. My fav. folk metal album.)
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond
Demons & Wizards - Touched By The Crimson King (If you haven't heard it and like great musicianship, give it a listen. It is amazing!)

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Beyond My Grey Wake from How Like a Winter.

It's far from perfect but it has such a gloomy atmosphere, songs able to cloud your sunny days, and it's the only thing ever to come from How Like a Winter.
Such a pity they didn't continue.

Look-a-Hill

Nov 18, 2009
Willwillwritehiswill said:
This, just this. They are amazingly captivating live and this album tells a great story.
Captivating? Mastodon are one of the most boring bands I've ever seen live. They just played their songs like robots, no energy whatsoever.

Jul 23, 2008
Look-a-Hill said:
Willwillwritehiswill said:
This, just this. They are amazingly captivating live and this album tells a great story.
Captivating? Mastodon are one of the most boring bands I've ever seen live. They just played their songs like robots, no energy whatsoever.
Opinions. I've seen them twice and while their audience interaction is practically nonexistant, the energy i've seen them display, coupled with the video accompaniment made for a great live show.