Best movies of 2019

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Gorfias said:
I don't know how much of it is inspired or lifted from his marriage/divorce to Jennifer Jason Leigh
Baumbach is denying it for some baffling reason but I'd say probably most of it is biographical. He's not even pretending the story isn't about a young hot director and his washed-out actress wife (I love JJL and that she's more or less on a comeback, but she really did fade out for a while). All of his movies have a very intimate, personate feel to them too. I never checked this but it seems obvious from Squid and Whale that it's based on his parents' divorce.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gorfias said:
I don't know how much of it is inspired or lifted from his marriage/divorce to Jennifer Jason Leigh
Baumbach is denying it for some baffling reason but I'd say probably most of it is biographical. He's not even pretending the story isn't about a young hot director and his washed-out actress wife (I love JJL and that she's more or less on a comeback, but she really did fade out for a while). All of his movies have a very intimate, personate feel to them too. I never checked this but it seems obvious from Squid and Whale that it's based on his parents' divorce.
Yes, the movie's story is *highly* specific, but I'd say it's more about Baumbach's relationship with his current wife, Greta Gerwig, than his former wife.

In any event, that movie is on my list along with:

Midsommar
Us
Endgame
Booksmart
Her Smell
Wick 3

Haven't seem some of the newer stuff out.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I think we can all agree Cats is the right answer. For all 5 slots.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This has been a pretty lacklustre year for movies for me, but if I were to do a top ten, it would be:

10) The Good Boys
9) Escape Room
8) Yesterday
7) Toy Story 4
6) Terminator: Dark Fate
5) Instant Family
4) Shazam!
3) Apollo 11
2) Late Night
1) Spider-Man: Far From Home

Of these, 1-7 are straightforward, with 1 being "great," and 2-7 being "good." 8-10 are movies that are "okay," but of all the "okay" movies I saw, are the best.

Yes, that's right. Of all the movies I saw this year that were released this year, only 7 were outright "good." Hence, a lacklustre year for me.

But alas, if there's a top 10 list, there has to be a bottom 10 list, so on that note:

10) Last Christmas
9) On the Basis of Sex
8) Detective Pikachu
7) Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
6) Frozen II
5) The Avengers: Endgame
4) The Lion King
3) Alita: Battle Angel
2) The Favourite
1) After

Of these, only 1-3 are outright "bad," even if 1 is borderline terrible. 4-10 are ranked mostly by how much they irritated me and/or how little I enjoyed them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Exley97 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gorfias said:
Yes, the movie's story is *highly* specific, but I'd say it's more about Baumbach's relationship with his current wife, Greta Gerwig, than his former wife.

Midsommar
Us
Endgame
Booksmart
Her Smell
Wick 3

Haven't seen Booksmart. Isn't it essentially genderswap Superbad?
Marter said:
I think we can all agree Cats is the right answer. For all 5 slots.
Not The Scorpion King then?

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Exley97 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gorfias said:

Midsommar
Us
Endgame
Booksmart
Her Smell
Wick 3

Haven't seen Booksmart. Isn't it essentially genderswap Superbad?
I've seen people throw the Superbad comp out, and on the surface it's pretty accurate as far as structure goes -- two best friends hoping to party their asses off at the end of high school. But while Superbad is about two guys basically trying to get laid, and failing, Booksmart is about two overachieving nerds with no experience trying to figure out how to party, and failing. So similar, but little different.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Johnny Novgorod said:
More in a sec below?
Exley97 said:
Odd as he is still with Greta.. no? And it makes me wonder. Driver?s character does have 1 infidelity but it happens after his marriage is over (and he doesn?t accept it) and is banished to the couch rather than the marital bed for a year. But I wonder if in real life, was Greta the other woman and was it more than one fling?
ITMT: Can?t believe Booksmart isn?t Prime yet. Gotta pay to rent it. Yes, I think it Superbad with girls but sounds like a hoot. (They have behaved throughout High School and pals that did not are getting into the best schools with them anyway!)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Gorfias said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
More in a sec below?
Exley97 said:
Odd as he is still with Greta.. no? And it makes me wonder. Driver?s character does have 1 infidelity but it happens after his marriage is over (and he doesn?t accept it) and is banished to the couch rather than the marital bed for a year. But I wonder if in real life, was Greta the other woman and was it more than one fling?
I think that's Baumbach painting himself (through Driver) in a better light by removing the elements of guilt/deceit from his affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLtjMwkOlg&t=1221s

Go to 20:12 and look very, very close at Noah and Greta's reactions to the interviewer's question.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Not The Scorpion King then?
You're right. 2012's The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption takes the title once again.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think that's Baumbach painting himself (through Driver) in a better light by removing the elements of guilt/deceit from his affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLtjMwkOlg&t=1221s

Go to 20:12 and look very, very close at Noah and Greta's reactions to the interviewer's question.
Wow, he laughs. She almost imperceptibly is shaking her head,"no". Wow! I just watched 2 more times to ensure it is not my imagination. She is shaking her head, "no."

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
My favourite movie of 2019 (general release, technically premiered late 2018) was probably In Fabric.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I saw a fair amount of movies this year, some of which entertained me, but only the following three I actually really liked:
1) Parasite
2) The Irishman
3) Upgrade

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I saw 1917 yesterday. Technically this was released in 2019 but really wasn't available in my area till 2020 so I don't know if it counts. It is pretty spectacular. I've never seen a WW1 movie like it and is on par in its own way with Saving Private Ryan.