Best Netflix Original shows.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Recommend me some Netflix original shows.

Is there anything on Netflix that's as good as something on HBO or FX?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Maniac, my dude. It's a great little show for the one season it lasts.

Outside of that I strongly recommend Bojack Horseman, if you're into that sort of thing. And Sense8, though it only really gets going by the second season.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
So far the only original things I liked from Netflix is The Witcher, Castlevania, and The Irishman.

I heard House of Cards was good but the series is now irreversibly bad since they fired Kevin Spacey for his Sexual Misconduct. I mean yeah he's a criminal now, but he was the pillar of the entire fucking show, without him there is no show.

Bojack Horsemen is too depressing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You have to watch Mindhunter if you're into crime dramas and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt if you enjoy a good comedy. Kimmy might be the most bizarre show ever made. And it's absolutely hilarious. I loved every second of it. Mindhunter is inspired by true events. It's about the Behavior Science Unit within the FBI who are often credited with coining the term "serial killer" (not really, but that's a history lesson for another time). It's a David Fincher show. That should tell you all you need to know, actually.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bojack Horseman is great but it takes a couple episodes for the writing to really start to click and you do have to kinda get used to the whole weirdness of "Some people are animals but they're basically just people. Also, non-sentient animals don't exist in their world. Don't think too much about it". It has some really gutpunchy moments and some of the characters can grate(Diane. Oh god, Diane) after awhile.

Castlevania may be the best video game adaptation to screen ever(yes, I realize that's a really low bar) and it works surprisingly well for a take on a video game made for the NES for a series not particularly story heavy. It's really gory at times though and definitely not for those who are easily put off by gore and swearing(there's a joke in the first episode about a man fucking a goat that's just there and you see monsters eating babies in one of the early episodes).

I know not many other people talk about it but I rather like The Dragon Prince which is a bit like Avatar:The Last Airbender but more like Lord of the Rings if it were the elves and humans who despised each other. A fair bit of humor, some likeable characters and generally well done. So far the first Story Arc is complete with 3 seasons. 7 total are planned but it's unclear if more seasons are gonna happen at this point(The Head Writer has been accused of some rather shitty behaviour toward women on the show staff).

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Hemlock Grove and the I-land, anyone? No? Okay, I understand.

Depending on how far you go back, whether you include shows which Netflix continued that had originally started on other networks and joint productions (I'm not going to here), my personal favourites of Netflix Original series are in no particular order:

Stranger Things
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Master Of None
Mindhunter
Dark (German language)
Daredevil / Luke Cage / Jessica Jones / Punisher

There's plenty of stuff that's interesting or good, if not really top notch.

Mar 30, 2010
I can recommend Knightfall. A dramatization of the fall of the Knights Templar, and better than it has a right to be given that most programs about the Templar order devolve into froth-mouthed conspiracy theories. Well worth a watch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Agema said:
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Had forgotten about this. I read the books a few years back(because I wanted to see how it ended and I knew there wasn't gonna be another film due to how bad the Carry Version bombed). The netflix adaptation, while occasionally bad CGI was a surprisingly good adaptation and even tried to answer some of the unanswered questions from the books(Namely, what's in the Sugar bowl?).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll second (or third or whatever) Mindhunter, but that could just be me... I live in one of the places featured in the show. And its not a place lots of movies or TV shows visit often.

And with that in mind I'd add Ozark to the list. Short review, its Breaking Bad except instead of a science teacher making meth its a financial planner laundering money. And its in rural Missouri instead of urban New Mexico (meaning the scenery is much nicer.) It isn't as good as Breaking Bad (kind of an unfair comparison) but its pretty good.

Oh, and...
Phoenixmgs said:
ALTERED CARBON!!!
Yes, but I'm not holding my breath for any more. They have cast a season 2 but it was SO Expensive for the amount of success it had... I'd be surprised if it gets the 2nd season and would guarantee that with no more success than season 1 had, 2 will be the end of it. But watch it, it is super fun.

I also had fun watching American Vandal. I don't know why, its the kind of show I usually hate.

Oh, and I like Black Mirror. Yes, even Bandersnatch (gimmicky but fun anyway.)

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
The first season of Stranger Things, Mindhunter, Ozark, Altered Carbon, La Casa de Papel, Dark, The End of the Fucking World, The Haunting of Hill House. I don't know if they're better than HBO/FX, but these are all pretty good shows imo.

Also The OA. I love the show, but I can see why someone would hate it. There's plenty of "what the fuck is this...?" moments. It's a shame Netflix cancelled it. With the amount of shit they make, at least this show was something different.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
-House of Cards: Saw the first five seasons. It's pretty good, but it loses steam towards the end. Seasons 1 and 2 are very strong.

-Lost in Space: Saw the first season. It's good, but it's very much on a slow burn in regards to plot and character development. Bear in mind that it's pretty much the opposite of the original series in regards to writing and the science.

-Disenchantment: Seen the first season. Really liked it, but I'm apparently in a minority there. Got humour, but a bit more focus on plot and character development than Groening's other cartoons, and towards the end, there's a noticable shift in tone, where it gets more serious.

-Castlevania:

Someone: "You can't make a series out of a game with barely any plot that's gory, over the top, but also manages to have engaging characters!"

-Simon Belmont: "Hold my crucifix."

...yeah, only seen the first season, but the series is good. Considering the game it's based on, astoundingly good.

-The Dragon Prince: Really good. If you like Avatar: The Last Airbender, this should be right up your alley. If not...well, it's still good. Very good.

And the stuff I've seen that I can't reccomend include:

-Daredevil
-Voltron: Legendary Defender

Dalisclock said:
and even tried to answer some of the unanswered questions from the books(Namely, what's in the Sugar bowl?).
What?

Did they, like, miss the point of the Sugar Bowel? It was a McGuffin that sattarizes McGuffins.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd like to amend my recommendation for Mindhunter, Do Not Watch It. Not because its bad, but because (as is becoming kind of a weird trope) it has been canceled after an "ending" that left a lot of open threads.

And no, it wasn't canceled... its officially on "indefinite hiatus." Don't hold out any hope though, all that means is that Netflix didn't cancel it. But David Fincher left the project to work on films and other projects (for Netflix) and says it wasn't fair to hold on to the actors contracts while he worked on other projects. And the likelihood that all those actors would be free at the same time that David Fincher wants to come back to it... just accept Mindhunter is dead.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Orange is the New Black is one of my favourite shows of all time. Incredible characterisation. If you start and Piper is putting you off, please be assured that her importance wanes as it goes on and other characters are far more interesting and central before long.

Other fantastic ones:

Mindhunter
Bojack Horseman
Stranger Things
Castlevania
Dark (very good but hard going)
Russian Doll

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
VG_Addict said:
Recommend me some Netflix original shows.

Is there anything on Netflix that's as good as something on HBO or FX?
Ozark. It's as good as Succession or anything else on HBO right now (except Watchmen, which now looks like it's a limited series).

Also, a shout out to Dark. Holy shit. I've never seen a time travel movie/series so methodical and intricate, except maybe for Primer.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I didn't watch many Netflix originals when I had it... But I really liked Riverdale

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
The Withcher is really good. Castelvania has some scripting that makes it feel like a teenager trying to sound adult, but is otherwise a solid and enjoyable animated series. Bojack Horseman is a little too bleak and nihilistic for my tastes, but I do respect its ambition.

Umbrella academy was the last netflix original I watched. It's actually pretty good if you want an outsider take on the superhero tv series formula.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Hawki said:
-Castlevania:

Someone: "You can't make a series out of a game with barely any plot that's gory, over the top, but also manages to have engaging characters!"

-Simon Belmont: "Hold my crucifix."

...yeah, only seen the first season, but the series is good. Considering the game it's based on, astoundingly good.
It's also perhaps worth noting that it's surprisingly good at sharing the action. To explain what I mean, let's break this down a bit:

The main party has three people. One guy's a moody swordsman who supplements his swordplay with magical abilities, the second guy is a cynical rogue with anti-monster weaponry from a family of monster slayers, and the girl is a spellcaster. Think a minute on what's going to happen with these characters in a fight. Swordsman ends up doing the lion's share of the fighting, rogue gets a lucky hit or two but ends up getting outclassed and has to be bailed out by the swordsman, spellcaster is theoretically powerful but in practice gets sidelined more fights than not...Sound about right? Not so much here. It's quite refreshing, really.