Best new IP of this generation?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So what was the best brand new IP of this generation? Assassin's Creed or Little Big Planet. Infamous or Uncharted? Gears of War or Borderlands? Left 4 Dead or Portal? And so on. What doesn't count are reboots like Fallout 3 and Rayman: Origins.

Personally I think Little Big Planet was the best one, even though it was a Sony exclusive. Little Big Planet did something brand new, which was letting people create whatever level they want and share it online. Then Little Big Planet 2 came out and trumped the first one, letting people create games and complex programming. Each one is just a massive pile of happiness, and I really cannot wait for the Vita version coming out in a few weeks. It wasn't dull and grey like many other new IP's this generation, it was colorful, funny and had Stephen Fry as a narrator.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Bioshock easily. Those are the kinds of games that years from now people will regard as classics. Especially Infinite, judging from the loos of it.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Valkyria Chronicles just an amazing game with a great story fun system and immaculate presentation I usually hate strategy type games but this one made it extremely fun so kudos Valkyria Chronicles on making me like a game in a genre I usually dont care for.

Shame they abandoned the PS3 for the sequels though although I understand why.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Geez, I don't know. There were plenty of good ones.

So I'll just list the ones off the top of my head:

Valkyria Chronicles
Portal
Journey
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Left 4 Dead
Bayonetta

I just know that I'm missing a couple of IP's, but I can't think of any more right now.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Infamous. It's the only game I played this generation that I could classify as damn near perfection. Yes, I played all the games the OP mentioned. Infamous still takes the number one spot for me.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
It's got to be Portal.

Mass Effect would be close but the series now is hardly what it was before.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
In terms of the sheer amount of enjoyment I got out of it I'm gonna go with Saints Row. Saints Row 2 is one of my all time favourite games :D

The Batman Arkham games too if those count. Again Arkham Asylum is one of my all time favourites

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Xenoblade Chronicles for me.
Really enjoyed that game.
And also Zelda Skyward Sword :p

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Guffe said:
Zelda: Skyward Sword isn't a new IP, it's part of the Zelda series which started back in the 1980's. But if you're joking, then I don't get the joke.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
League of Legends springs to mind, I've got alot out of that game (Even if the community sucks). Also Day Z (I think it counts since it's being made standalone).

But then there has been games like Starcraft 2, Dawn of war, Portal etc.

It's too hard to pin it down :/

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I would have to go with either Portal or the Souls series (even though I have not gotten to Dark Souls yet), primarily because both of them offer something different from what is standard in video games, and both are exceptionally well designed.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Guffe said:
Zelda: Skyward Sword isn't a new IP, it's part of the Zelda series which started back in the 1980's. But if you're joking, then I don't get the joke.
I really need to start putting "/sarcasm" at the end of posts like that don't I -.-
Yep it's a joke...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm going to have to agree with Portal. Those games will be remembered for a very long time. Other games that people have mentioned are fairly notable, but I don't think they really have the same status as Portal. Whether or not you like Portal it's managed to seep in to the collective consciousness and has become synonymous with gaming itself, much like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Doom, WoW or GTA.

For me, Darksiders has been a great new IP in this generation. I guess it still can't touch Portal in terms of cult status, but out of all the new IPs I've played this generation that's one that I've personally had a great time with.

I guess Assassin's Creed is also has a pretty exceptional status, but I've grown tired of the series. Too much of it and it all very similar. I think after a while the series will ware out its welcome and slowly be forgotten.

Bioshock holds a similar standing to AC, but for different reasons. I had a blast with those games and they were great, especially the first, but after I was done I didn't feel like I wanted to go back. They lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's something to do with how they played. They didn't really feel like something really unique, they felt like FPSs with a cool gimmick. There's so many other FPS games like that. The story and setting were exceptional, but they didn't really impact much on the gameplay itself.

I think Mirror's Edge will retain at least a small cult following. I'm not sure I would really count it as an "IP" since there's only been a single game. I know IP doesn't have anything to do with how many games have come out, but if something is going to be remembered it needs to have a legacy. Once unusual game with significant flaws that didn't sell well probably isn't going to have a lasting impact. But I guess the following it has is very passionate about it (including me) and it was a brilliant example of trying something out of the ordinary. It was really unique. It took something that people said wasn't possible and made it work, for the most part at least. For that, at least some people will remember it.

But even though it's not my favourite, I think Portal has to be called the "best" of this generation. It's had a huge impact on gamer culture and it's not going anywhere for a long time.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Uncharted and Resistance, `nuff said. Best Franchises of their time and all the years to come.
hounorable mentions belong to the last Splatterhouse game, Max Payne and Killzone, it´s not new but it adds to a godlike ip of a century.

btw i like Batman and Portal

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Mass Effect
Dead Rising
Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Assassin's Creed
Saints Row
Bioshock
Alan Wake
Condemned
Portal
Borderlands

There's a few.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Demon's Souls (console)
The Witcher (pc)
The World Ends With You (handheld)

If we're talking strictly new IPs for this generation, not carryover franchises, these would get my votes. Demon's Souls broke new ground with its online mode and challenging mix of gameplay and narrative progression; The Witcher set a new standard for rpgs with complex and mature storylines despite a few juvenile elements and the limitations of its aging engine; and TWEWY has an interesting setting and cleverly layered challenges that do not simply rework material from other handheld JRPGs or Zelda installments.

Still, there have been a fair few great new IPs this gen, as other lists in this thread show. It's definitely been fun so far.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Damn I can't pick one.

Vanquish
Bayonetta
Portal
Souls (I haven't played Demons Souls because I don't have a PS3)
Bioshock
Dead Space
(Dawn of War if you forgive the fact that it's 40K)