Best "Non Final Fantasy" JRPG Ever?

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
Although I've never felt that Final Fantasy (or its many emulators) are RPGs, my answers to this are 5:

1) CHrono Trigger.
2) CHrono Cross.
3) Secret of Mana.
4) Illusion of Gaia.
5) Super Mario RPG.

I did not read the previous comments, so I'm sure that these games came out previously many, many times.
;-)

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
My vote goes to Lost Odyssey. I've played it for over 100 hours already, and I'm generally not even a fan of RPGs!

Substance-E

Sep 28, 2010
Chrono Trigger

Absolutely adamant on this one. Have and still play the good old SNES cartridge complete with it's misleading box art.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Breath of Fire 4, don't pretend like you even knew there was one past 3. HMPH.

Awesome art, great animations, just fun.

UselessNinjaMan

Oct 4, 2010
Erm... well, I, as many people here, it would seem, have difficulty naming the 'best' per se... Shin Megami Tensei series is solid, particularly Persona and the base series (with Nocturne), Golden Sun, of course, as well as Grandia II, Lufia: The Legend Returns (a bit odd, that one, but, man, did I play the hell out of it). There are many great series, enough to satiate anyone's thirst. :)

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I'd say Persona 3: FES. To be fair, though, I haven't played Persona 4 yet.

Seriously, though, anything in the Shin Megami Tensei series is excellent. It baffles me how the gaming populace doesn't latch onto it.

People whine about how JRPGs do nothing but stagnate, while every SMT game (with a few exceptions) is innovative and tries plenty of new things. And, that's not even mentioning their fantastic stories that are just are rife with incredibly-placed symbolism...

...I should stop. I could go on for pages.