Best PVP In an MMO?

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Guild Wars has amazing PvP. Right shame that it's all but deserted with the release of Guild Wars 2.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
Bertylicious said:
I have heard it said that PvP ruined WoW because it meant they had to do more to homogenise the different classes, factions and game mechanics (like HP and such) for PvP.

What do y'all reckon to that?
I reckon that people use the word homogenize like it's a bad term. I don't see why it's a big deal; sure some classes share abilities now, but having only one class that could provide certain buffs or only one class that could battle rez made forming groups such a pain. As for the HP...I've actually never heard that complaint. Clothies still go squish when you hit them with things and plates can still take a beating (except dks but they aren't that far in the hole).
The MMO market has changed drastically since WoW first launched. Having a setup simillar to vanilla of BC would cause the game to tank in today's market.

On a side note, PvP in WoW is probably the most balanced it's ever been (save for one or two outliers)

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Meatspinner said:
I remember really loving Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning back when it launched. Played a Chosen (Tank chaos boy) that actually worked in PvP (PC taunt ftw).

Haven't played it in a long while though. I hear it's free to play
WAR did have some awesome pvp at launch i loved both the scenarios(battlegrounds) and the open world area control especially if you found a decent warband in the area and you went through fighting back and forth for the control points

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Guild wars for small scale PvP, guild wars 2 for large scale (I tend to get quickly tired of the current iteration of small scale PvP in gw2, so I only play that aspect of the game in short bursts, eve is great with amazing with a group though) :) thats in the more traditional mmorpg category of course. Planetside 2 is my personal pick for PvP in general.

Note that what makes gw PvP good is that it relies on skill/builds more than gear.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Of the few I've played, WoW's the best.

Aion and Tera both had more interesting combat with the combos and dodge mechanics, but they were meant for pve. Wow's PVP isn't great, and there's always some flavor-of-the-month class that's dominating everyone else, but it has a large enough player base to be accessible and entertaining most of the time. The battlegrounds are also large enough to fart around if you're clearly losing, which is my least favorite aspect of games like LoL/DotA; futilely thrashing for 20 minutes in a game that's a lost cause.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
I was a fan of the PVP in old school Runescape. It had such a great risk vs reward element to it. Too bad the company wrecked it though.
But the combat mechanics in that game weren't just bad, they were nonexistent. The only thing you did was click on the enemy to run towards them and start smacking/shooting/casting spells, healing when needed until either you or your enemy drops dead. Plus, it was balanced a la rock-paper-scissors, with melee fighters beating archers, archers beating mages and mages beating melee fighters. It might work for a group-oriented game, where everyone has their own specific role and therefore needs to coordinate in order to perform well, but Runescape had (and maybe still has, dunno) zero options for cooperation and interaction between players.
But yeah, I gotta agree with you on the fact that the stakes were always high, and you could come out of the Wilderness a rich person after a lucky evening of player killing, but at the same time being careless, too cocky or just plain unlucky could cost you a lot. That really was something that kept me playing that game. Nowadays you rarely see MMOs that allow you to gut some random dude and take all his stuff, knowing that any minute this might happen to you, if you aren't careful.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Guild Wars 2 structured PvP is still in its infancy, so you might want to hold off for a bit on that one. But the large scale World vs World PvP is pretty fun at the moment with a major update coming in February apparently.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I think Runescape was the best MMO I ever played. There, I said it, hate on me all you want.
I haven't played it for years but it was all perfect, an amazing world, fun skills, a good respawn system and OT a fun variety of PVP modes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ishal said:
How did DAoC deal with the game-crippling lag that was rampant throughout the open world? That issue is pretty much the only one that is ever brought up by anyone I've ever talked to who played DAoC. Guild Wars 2 solved that issue with a queing system, but it still has its problems (rendering issues *facepalm*).
How did DAOC deal with it, or how did the players deal with it? We just sucked it up. It was a slide show during big keep sieges, but in small group skirmishes or zerg on zerg out in the field, it was generally alright, and that's where the game shone.

Frankly culling (GW2) is 100 times worse for a PvP game than lag could ever hope to be.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Ishal said:
How did DAoC deal with the game-crippling lag that was rampant throughout the open world? That issue is pretty much the only one that is ever brought up by anyone I've ever talked to who played DAoC. Guild Wars 2 solved that issue with a queing system, but it still has its problems (rendering issues *facepalm*).
How did DAOC deal with it, or how did the players deal with it? We just sucked it up. It was a slide show during big keep sieges, but in small group skirmishes or zerg on zerg out in the field, it was generally alright, and that's where the game shone.

Frankly culling (GW2) is 100 times worse for a PvP game than lag could ever hope to be.
Yeah culling is bad in GW2. Kinda wish I wasn't a 12 yr old when DAoC was in its prime. I hear that Mythic (or whats left of it) is now being directed to make app games by EA.

Sad :/

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ishal said:
Yeah culling is bad in GW2. Kinda wish I wasn't a 12 yr old when DAoC was in its prime. I hear that Mythic (or whats left of it) is now being directed to make app games by EA.

It is sad, but Mythic has only themselves to blame. They were handed a golden opportunity with WAR and fucked it up so badly I still can't really believe it. Whatever talent that studio had bled out of it a long time ago. Frankly, people should've seen it coming with Trials of Atlantis. Sometimes I think old-school DAoC was a fluke more than anything, and some of the crazy funny balance issues the game had give the ring of truth to that.

Culling is atrocious. It's absolutely the worst imaginable solution to the question of lag. "Just make all the enemies invisible!" Well done, idiots.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Ishal said:

It is sad, but Mythic has only themselves to blame. They were handed a golden opportunity with WAR and fucked it up so badly I still can't really believe it. Whatever talent that studio had bled out of it a long time ago. Frankly, people should've seen it coming with Trials of Atlantis. Sometimes I think old-school DAoC was a fluke more than anything, and some of the crazy funny balance issues the game had give the ring of truth to that.

Culling is atrocious. It's absolutely the worst imaginable solution to the question of lag. "Just make all the enemies invisible!" Well done, idiots.
Maaan i remember the beginning for development for WAR it sounded like it would be amazing there was this one particular developer who was doing video blogs hyping it up and it was great and then...EA....yeaaaah. actually after the buyout that guy dissapeared

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
Best PVP system on MMO,easy answer C9(continent of the nine seals).Arena based fighting where even a 10lvl char cna kill a max lvl one.Game with pure skill

But its plagued with lag exploiters but still best system

And a friendly CAPTSA suggestion: exercise more

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Ishal said:

You know, I welcome that perspective about DAoC, that it could have all just been a fluke. As I've said before in a previous topic I created and in other places, nearly every person I've talked to that loves DAoC treats as the best experience ever. It was to be heralded as the crowning achievement in all of PC gaming, its coming had been foretold in ancient prophecies and its PvP was the work of divine providence. When I go to the wiki page about it all I see is so many classes and potential for bad balancing..but I guess that didn't really matter in the long run the way I hear people talk. It seems to me that when I hear the ex-DAoCers talk about Warhammer they admit that it was utter crap, but they do so without the bitter hatred and contempt they would spew toward any other game, this is no doubt evidence of their loyalty to Mythic. I've been a part of the Dark Souls community for a while now and I've seen my share of douchebaggery and elitism there. I'm also a brony..and I've seen the worst that community has to offer. This past year I've been in and out of so many communities and gaming culture hubs it makes my head spin. AND YET, out of all of them, I've seen no bigger amount of hate, contempt, and TRUE elitism then what I've seen in the MMO PvP crowd..and the worst of them always count themselves among the ex Warhammer & DAoC players. This of course is just anecdotal, and Guppy you don't seem to be that way.. its like you said in a post a while back, "welcome to world of MMO's" right?

On culling, I was there for the very first Beta where they let the pre-purchasers in and it wasn't there. Back then your armor wasn't carried over from PVE to PVP. You could have had Soulsbane Godforged armor or whatever...but in WvW you'd just be in a generic green/blue/red coat. At some point I believe they changed it. Now of course you can wear whatever armor you want in PVE and it carries over to WvW. From what I've been told their system renders the individual pieces of armor first in some sequential order, then renders the character model, then the textures. The time delay (which is on their end) for all this to happen is what causes the slow rendering. Still its bullshit and was a stupid ass thing to do. I have a feeling that its going to be one of those things they don't resolve til a year or so..if they do it all. WvW has been stated repeatedly to not be on top of the list of priorities.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Shadowbane was my favorite by a mile.. Ulitma Online was very good too, as is Darkfall and Eve. Best tri-faction RvR I found was DAoC.

Tubzbuster

Jan 8, 2013
Honestly I'd say World of Warcraft.
I spent so many hours battling horde members in the Outlands.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ishal said:
You know, I welcome that perspective about DAoC, that it could have all just been a fluke. As I've said before in a previous topic I created and in other places, nearly every person I've talked to that loves DAoC treats as the best experience ever. It was to be heralded as the crowning achievement in all of PC gaming, its coming had been foretold in ancient prophecies and its PvP was the work of divine providence. When I go to the wiki page about it all I see is so many classes and potential for bad balancing..but I guess that didn't really matter in the long run the way I hear people talk. It seems to me that when I hear the ex-DAoCers talk about Warhammer they admit that it was utter crap, but they do so without the bitter hatred and contempt they would spew toward any other game, this is no doubt evidence of their loyalty to Mythic. I've been a part of the Dark Souls community for a while now and I've seen my share of douchebaggery and elitism there. I'm also a brony..and I've seen the worst that community has to offer. This past year I've been in and out of so many communities and gaming culture hubs it makes my head spin. AND YET, out of all of them, I've seen no bigger amount of hate, contempt, and TRUE elitism then what I've seen in the MMO PvP crowd..and the worst of them always count themselves among the ex Warhammer & DAoC players. This of course is just anecdotal, and Guppy you don't seem to be that way.. its like you said in a post a while back, "welcome to world of MMO's" right?
I've seen this reaction to DAoC fans before, most prominently in the GW2 community (likely due to the similarities), and I think it's a combination of the natural elitism that propagates in the PvP community combined with the "Back in the Day" condescension older gamers sometimes indulge in. DAoC was an excellent game, but it was an excellent game for its time. No one would stand for it today. The balance issues alone would be disastrous. Snipers one shotting people from stealth, assassins getting up to 95% dodge and taking out entire groups, AoE stun...and then the RA's went in. It was essentially a broken game. But it's all contextual, right? There was nothing like it back then. And there was nothing ELSE like it for a long, long time...really until WAR came out (and was even more broken, in some more sadly fundamental ways that couldn't be fixed by balancing). That's resulting in DAoC being lionized to some extent, in much the same way we are starting to lionize EVE. When a game exists in a vacuum with no meaningful competition in its sub genre, it's easy to look at it as being better than it is, and gloss over its defects in favor of raining praise on its merits.

Ishal said:
WvW has been stated repeatedly to not be on top of the list of priorities.
Arena Net has shown a frustrating inability to decide where their priorities lay. They're running around chasing every demographic, alienating each in turn. This kind of grab-all strategy isn't going to work for anyone until WoW is a few years older. And honestly, in an increasingly fragmented market with more and more FTP options cropping up every day, trying to be all things to all men is kind of stupid. WvWvW was one of their biggest selling points. Reducing it to a glitchy afterthought while they focus on seasonal events and adding content to an already content heavy game is just foolish.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
DC Universe Online

You define your hero/villain how you want, it's skill based, there's multiple reason to use most abilities, level doesn't mean a whole lot but it means enough that you don't feel like your time was wasted, etc etc. By far the best PvP I've played in any MMO and I've played an absurd amount of MMOs, and PvP is and has always been the reason I played them.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Bertylicious said:
I have heard it said that PvP ruined WoW because it meant they had to do more to homogenise the different classes, factions and game mechanics (like HP and such) for PvP.

What ruined PvP in WoW was Resilience.

Once doing end-game content no longer matters in PvP, it completely broke the game for me.

I raided for good gear, so I could do better in PvP, thats basically WHY I played the game. I was for a time, fairly well known on my battle-group as "someone you don't try to 1v1, because you will lose". This was with my Tier 3/Tier 2 mishmash set at the very end of Vanilla. 2-3 shotting mages was a normal thing in those days with my Hunter.

I tried to play WoW PvP when Cata dropped again (this time as a mage), but its all about Resilience, you either have tons of it...or you die instantly. Getting it requires you go into PvP and die instantly for MONTHS...which I even did. I got up to at least a respectable Resilience score...but it didn't matter, I didn't have it as high as possible, so it was basically like not having it at all.

Having 1 stat dominate PvP is incredibly broken and boring, like WoW entire itemization system.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Bertylicious said:

WoW's problem is it was designed purely pve , the first battlegrounds didnt turn up till well after release and then blizzard decided to make it an esport. so we have a game which wasnt designed with it in mind riddled with overpowered stupid stuff in pvp like the rogue class and then instead of focus on things like team based objective pvp they tried to focus on arena which is the worst possible fit.

then all the various disasters of cross balancing abilities and items and you just ended up with a train wreck.