Best RPG Ever Available for Free Download

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
but according to your reviewers, dragon age 2 is the best rpg ever.

The ultima games I played (6 and 7... I think) were buggy as shit. Never got into the series.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
but according to your reviewers, dragon age 2 is the best rpg ever.
I laughed, that was low blow man, a low blow.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
itf cho said:
TOS when you go to install the game says you agree to have Origin installed... no thanks.
Not as far as I can see. It says:
"B. Access to Software, Online Features And/Or Services. An EA/Origin Account, including the acceptance of EA?s online Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (available at www.ea.com), the installation of Origin client application (www.origin/about.com) (or superceding download management software) as well as acceptance of the Origin (or superceding download management software) End User License Agreement, may be required to access the Software, online services and/or features and to download and apply Software updates and patches (if any). Only licensed software can be used to access online services and/or features (if any), including downloadable content, and access to such features is limited to you and your immediately family or members of your household."

Which to me reads as something copied from the standard EA Terms & Conditions you'll find in any of their games these days. Especially seeing as I just uninstalled Origin and then installed this & ran it with no problems at all.

If you're noticing something on the page saying "Origin Systems" that is because they are the developers who made the game way back when and have nothing to do with the recently launched EA service.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
The people here don't seem to know what the fuck they're talking about. I too love Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex and so on. But Ultima 4? Yeah, it's up there. This isn't really so much as "best game evar" since there is no such thing. But Ultima 4 is what people call a "classic". It is something that helped define a genre, it is something which left a mark in time. Sure, not a big mark - this is still PC RPG's were talking about here, remember? But still a mark. And you all should learn to show some proper, fucking, respect.

Damn kids.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I certainly want to try this out when I get the chance, the Ultima series always interested me. Glad it's free on GoG, does that mean they might release the other games in the series? (I know Ultima Underworld 1 + 2 were released awhile back.)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Ultima 5 is the best, but 4 was pretty damn groundbreaking for its time. And there STILL hasn't been another game with as deep a morality system.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I might have missed something, but I remember U4 being made free for download on an EA related site a long time ago.
Not you who missed something.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Am I the only one considering downloading this because there's a character named Lord British?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Oh no, your opinion of best RPG is different than mine. Excuse me while I freak out that people don't all think like I do.

lotanerve

Jan 19, 2011
I have an inpulse to play Odyssey: The Compleat Apventure....anyone know where I can find it? And what emulator I would need for it?

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
What the hell escapist readers, what the hell.

Ultima 4 was one of the most memorable games of all times and was ahead of it times for RPGS. The fact that you people state games like Deus Ex, Fallout, and Baldur's Gate. Where do you think all those neat things of thars came from? The Ultima series is the cornerstone of American RPGS and you at the very least should give it a shot. Respect your elders.

Darn kids.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Thomas Guy said:
Man I was stoked to download Shining Force. Oh well.
Niiiiiin-jaaaa'd!

Still, gaming history is gaming history, and free is as good as it gets.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
oldtaku said:
I don't think you people will be able to handle this. The old Ultimas were HARD.

- No automaps.
- No quest tracking.
- You have to keep track of everything on paper (NPC text that sounds important) mark, organized by town, mark off when done.
- You have to do some fairly sophisticated putting two and two together to figure some things out - sometimes it will tell you 'hey, you should go over here and talk to this guy and ask him about this', but sometimes you need to figure that out yourself, and if you don't, you are stuck, especially for the endgame stuff where it's all multiple hints.
- All the mechanisms predate the conventions you're used to, so they will feel wrong.

Nothing you've played will prepare you for this unless you grew up in the Bard's Tale / DQ1 age. Heck, I beat this game when it came out - it took months, and now even I find it too primitive to really play.
You got that right, it took me 5 mins to figure out how to start a game XD

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I already have a physical copy of this game, but I don't think I ever even tried to install it so I guess this is cool, at least now I will have a manual.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Woah, beneath a steel sky for free too. I had this on the amiga but disk 8 was naffed and i couldnt continue. This site is ace man cheers!

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I used to have this on the Sega Master System and spent MONTHS playing and replaying it. Seriously, this is a fantastic, fantastic game.

Never played the PC version, but I'm gonna head over and get me some Ultima now...

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Clonekiller said:
Llil said:
Well, you can't beat that price. I've never played the Ultima games, but I'm going to have to try this one. I'm always interested in the classics. That virtue thing sounds much more interesting than the standard "bad guy wants to take over the world, go kill him".

Clonekiller said:
Sorry, I upgraded to 3D graphical technology eight or so years ago. Since then my nostalgia level hasn't been high enough to convince me to play these "greatest games ever". Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Fallout to go play.
Fallout isn't 3D, if that's what you're saying. But it sure is one of the "greatest games ever".
Correction: Fallout: New Vegas. Happy?
Can I be put on record as digging the hell out of BOTH "Ultima 4" and "Fallout: New Vegas"? Some of us old-timers just like games because they're, you know, really good. No matter what era they come from.