Best Screen Capture Software and VHS converter hardwhare

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Want to get into makeing AMV's, GMV's , and maybe get back into makeing reviewss and other videos on youtube again (third times a charm).

Currently the Xbox Bar works for most screen recording needs when it comes to games, my DVD's, and the occational trialer on youtube for clips. But I am wondering if there is a better one as when I try to do one of the free movies on youtube or one of the videos on a streaming service I get the audio background and a blank page (which means I can't talk alot about say Catlevania or Voxmachina without needing to buy the DVD set).

Any ideas?

On that note, I grew up in the 90s so have a ton of VHS tapes, so what is a good way to convert them into digital form?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Want to get into makeing AMV's, GMV's , and maybe get back into makeing reviewss and other videos on youtube again (third times a charm).

Currently the Xbox Bar works for most screen recording needs when it comes to games, my DVD's, and the occational trialer on youtube for clips. But I am wondering if there is a better one as when I try to do one of the free movies on youtube or one of the videos on a streaming service I get the audio background and a blank page (which means I can't talk alot about say Catlevania or Voxmachina without needing to buy the DVD set).

Any ideas?

On that note, I grew up in the 90s so have a ton of VHS tapes, so what is a good way to convert them into digital form?
Well I don't know about screen capturing, but for VHS, you'll need a capture card with RCA. Usually those come with the software to record the video as something like mpeg or avi, and then you'd need an application like Handbrake to to convert it into either MKV or MP4. Of course the capture device could be external and run through USB 3.0/USB C nowdays but when I did it they were internal to the PCI/PCIe slot.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Don't like all streamers use OBS (which is freeware)?

For VHS (I assume you mean movies, not just like home videos), you'll need a way to remove the macrovision copy protection. From this Reddit thread, it seems like HDMI strips it out naturally. I'd personally re-buy any movies you really like just due to how fuzzy VHS quality is and they are usually all pan and scan (cropping most of the movie out). If its just home videos, that's a lot more basic and there's straight up machines you can buy that copy VHS to DVD. One of my friends runs a photo shop and it's one of the services they provide.