Best Series Finales Ever: and those that were horribly unsatisfactory

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Even if they were obvious, spelling it out and were allowed to in the contract, it's still an ass pull from a writing and character perspective. That is where my problem lies. If those goals were met, they still would have been surpassed.
I am glad it did help people, but I do show concern that they might learn that it came somewhat from a dishonest place. That should not change how those were affected by KorraSami, nor invalidate who they are or help them discover who they are. I just dislike movements done with dishonesty or not for the right reason.
I agree. Let me clear up some of my previous comments, as having re-read them I feel I might not have made my point as clear as I'd like.

I agree, from a writing standpoint, yes, the asspull of them being non-hetero is lame, and annoying. But, they were NEVER good with the relationship stuff in the show, at all. For ANY of their couples. So it doesn't really surprise me that they equally didn't transition to this aspect of romantic storytelling either, given the track record of the show. As a critique to make it a "Bad/Worst" ending though, for me at least, it doesn't rank that low. It didn't anger me due to how poorly it was done. It annoyed me yes, but again, ALL their relationship was terrible, and that part at least felt more natural than the on again/off again Korra/Mako pairing. Korra and Asami were at least interacting with each other in a way that felt real. The buildup to a relationship was virtually non-existent in my opinion, but again, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they weren't able to be as overt with it as they might have wanted to, due to executive meddling.

For me, I just don't really remember being annoyed with the finale. I mean I'm sitting here trying to think of anything that genuinely bothered me, and I'm coming up blank. It was simply just forgettable, and forgettable, in my ranking, doesn't warrant Worst Ending Ever status.
But bits from earlier in the show, stand out WAY more in my mind as "shit that pissed me off about the writing/direction that makes me dislike the show as a whole" rather than the finale. Where I went into the other room, and ranted about them to my wife at length. The ending, didn't get that reaction from me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Battlestar Galactica (03).

As an upfront admission, I tried getting into this show but all it did was shit me off. I didn’t like anyone, the Cylons mainly appearing as humans was a cheapskate copout and it was retrospectively annoying because I feel Ron D. Moore decided to inject this thread of bullshit into DS9 to prepare himself to make this show.

However, I gotta respect a good aesthetic which the show had in spades so I decided to look up how it ended.

What. The. Fuck? How did Admiral Adama not get fucking lynched? How did any of them not get lynched for suggesting they throw away their technology and go agrarian? That’s fucking absurd.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I agree. Let me clear up some of my previous comments, as having re-read them I feel I might not have made my point as clear as I'd like.

I agree, from a writing standpoint, yes, the asspull of them being non-hetero is lame, and annoying. But, they were NEVER good with the relationship stuff in the show, at all. For ANY of their couples. So it doesn't really surprise me that they equally didn't transition to this aspect of romantic storytelling either, given the track record of the show. As a critique to make it a "Bad/Worst" ending though, for me at least, it doesn't rank that low. It didn't anger me due to how poorly it was done. It annoyed me yes, but again, ALL their relationship was terrible, and that part at least felt more natural than the on again/off again Korra/Mako pairing. Korra and Asami were at least interacting with each other in a way that felt real. The buildup to a relationship was virtually non-existent in my opinion, but again, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they weren't able to be as overt with it as they might have wanted to, due to executive meddling.

For me, I just don't really remember being annoyed with the finale. I mean I'm sitting here trying to think of anything that genuinely bothered me, and I'm coming up blank. It was simply just forgettable, and forgettable, in my ranking, doesn't warrant Worst Ending Ever status.
But bits from earlier in the show, stand out WAY more in my mind as "shit that pissed me off about the writing/direction that makes me dislike the show as a whole" rather than the finale. Where I went into the other room, and ranted about them to my wife at length. The ending, didn't get that reaction from me.
No worries, I already understood what you said. The only reason the finale is on my shit list is everything on top of it that adds to it. Thanks for reminding me though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Battlestar Galactica (03).

As an upfront admission, I tried getting into this show but all it did was shit me off. I didn’t like anyone, the Cylons mainly appearing as humans was a cheapskate copout and it was retrospectively annoying because I feel Ron D. Moore decided to inject this thread of bullshit into DS9 to prepare himself to make this show.
So, to each their own, but I can't agree with the cylons appearing human being a budgetary constraint. For one thing, BSG definitely doesn't lack a budget for visuals, and second, them appearing human is integral to the storyline and themes. You can argue that it saved money, but even if it did, the show doesn't suffer for it IMO. I've seen what low budget cylons look like (see the original series), and the reboot definitely isn't in the same camp.

Also not sure about DS9 - haven't seen it.

What. The. Fuck? How did Admiral Adama not get fucking lynched? How did any of them not get lynched for suggesting they throw away their technology and go agrarian? That’s fucking absurd.
So, I can get people being peaved with the ending, but not me.

Under normal circumstances, humans aren't going to give up their technology. However, these are humans who've lived through 1 (or if they're old enough, 2) near holocausts, and are part of a cycle of creation and destruction that maybe, finally, they can break. From a thematic standpoint, it works. And from a practical standpoint, if you were surrounded by steel for four years, pursued by your own mechanical creations, then giving up tech doesn't sound too bad. To us, it may be silly, but then, there's no real-world equivalent for what the people of the Twelve Colonies have gone through in regards to their tech being turned against them.

So, yeah. I don't have an issue with it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So, to each their own, but I can't agree with the cylons appearing human being a budgetary constraint. For one thing, BSG definitely doesn't lack a budget for visuals, and second, them appearing human is integral to the storyline and themes. You can argue that it saved money, but even if it did, the show doesn't suffer for it IMO. I've seen what low budget cylons look like (see the original series), and the reboot definitely isn't in the same camp.

Also not sure about DS9 - haven't seen it.

So, I can get people being peaved with the ending, but not me.

Under normal circumstances, humans aren't going to give up their technology. However, these are humans who've lived through 1 (or if they're old enough, 2) near holocausts, and are part of a cycle of creation and destruction that maybe, finally, they can break. From a thematic standpoint, it works. And from a practical standpoint, if you were surrounded by steel for four years, pursued by your own mechanical creations, then giving up tech doesn't sound too bad. To us, it may be silly, but then, there's no real-world equivalent for what the people of the Twelve Colonies have gone through in regards to their tech being turned against them.

So, yeah. I don't have an issue with it.
Theres a big difference between excluding AI and autonomous robotics from your society because of past experiences and a formerly scientifically advanced civilisation going full Luddite when trying to establish a new civilisation on an unknown and potentially dangerous planet with untold pathogens and other natural hazards. One is a sensible safeguard against further horrors. The other is inviting your fledgling society to be killed in its crib because there’s no infrastructure to purify water, perform basic sanitation, develop medicine etc.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Theres a big difference between excluding AI and autonomous robotics from your society because of past experiences and a formerly scientifically advanced civilisation going full Luddite when trying to establish a new civilisation on an unknown and potentially dangerous planet with untold pathogens and other natural hazards. One is a sensible safeguard against further horrors. The other is inviting your fledgling society to be killed in its crib because there’s no infrastructure to purify water, perform basic sanitation, develop medicine etc.
Any society that will give up air-conditioning is bullshit.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Or heating come to that.
Depends on where you live. Back when I was a student in south Texas, I didn't turn my apartment heater on for 2 years.

Somebody will say "myeh myeh myeh, there's places in the world that don't have air-conditioning either", and to them I say YOU ARE DANGEROUS AND WRONG

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, clean water and sanitation were already mentioned, and those are the ones you really want. AC you can do without, and heating is fairly straightforwards, but "terminal diarrhea" isn't just a really bad name for a band.