gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Just saw this on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isLW0TTB2R0
The 1st 14 issues of Miracle Man by Alan Moore takes it for me. I loved Joker Fish and V, Watchmen, Frank Miller's Vastation series with Daredevil. But this one amazed and stuck with me like no other. I understand issue 2 inspired the final fight in The Matrix.

Your favorite?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Saga. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples' fantasy space opera holds a special place in my heart as the first comic I ever bought from the local comics shop, but even if it wasn't it would still probably be my favourite. It's full of humour, warmth, and darkness in equal measure, all rendered in Staples' wonderfully vivid artwork.

Also look at Ghus. LOOK AT HIM.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil holds a special place for me. I was given a random selection of comics when I first started reading them by a friend of my dad and a lot of them were from that run.

I think it was the first time I really saw comics deconstructing themselves and the first time I personally saw them as being anything other than people in costumes hitting each other. I think it coloured how I read comics because I was like 10 and at the time the 90s were in full swing edgyness so reading something with thought put into it was new to me. It's sad that it's over-shadowed by Miller's Daredevil run so I feel like it gets forgotten. At the time I don't think I understood a lot of themes but I reread them over the winter and I'm still confused as to why they seem to be forgotten. It's easily up there with other constructivist takes on comics like Dark Knight Returns. (Queue Saelune claiming it's because of sexism).

Oddly enough one of my other favourite runs was the first third of Strackzynski's run on Amazing Spider-man. I just like his writing style and the themes.

Both were pencilled by John Romita Jr as well funnily enough.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Asterix by Albert Uderzo & Rene Goscinny
Tintin by Herge (minus the early ones with the unfortunate rascism)
Spirou & Fantasio and Gaston by Franquin
Lucky Luke by Morris and Rene Goscinny

Are they the best by every metric? No. I've read plenty of things that have more intricate storylines. More complex themes and in-depth character development. More profound messages. That have much better art. You name it. But "best", to me, is what I remember the most, what is dearest to me. And that's what those 5 above are. Some of them I haven't read in 20 years, but I remember them all.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I read a six part adaptation of "The Last Unicorn" that I absolutely loved, the artwork was vibrant, weird and beautiful.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Alan Moore's Watchmen, and Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale's run on Batman's early years (The Long Halloween, Haunted Knight, Dark Victory, and Catwoman: When in Rome).

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Asterix and Tintin.

I also particularly enjoyed the ABC Warriors from 2000 AD, perhaps before Pat Mills started converting everything into his dodgy quasi-philosophical nonsense.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Kwak said:
Bone, Cerebus, Battle Angel Alita.
I collected a number of "phone book" volumes of Cerebus. Very special.
Loved the Frank Miller style spoofs in it. I ended up selling them on Ebay.
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil holds a special place for me.
Reviewing! Loved the Frank Miller contributions. Razor Fist at youtube adores Daredevil so, very much worth looking to see other writer's take on the character.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Sandman, hands down. Nothing else comes close.

Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Robin was also great.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Kwak said:
Bone, Cerebus, Battle Angel Alita.
Oh my Gods. Finally. Somebody else who's read Cerebus! It took me years to (find and) read the complete series, and yeah, it's my all-time favorite comic.

My runners-up are, in no particular order:
Paperinik New Adventures. A Marvel-style superhero SF comic book from Italy. Maybe the best comic Disney ever published.

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. The only other candidate for "best ongoing Disney comic ever."

Chris Claremont's X-Men. The all-time best "normal" comic book I've read.

James Robinson's Starman. A love letter to the genre.

Sandman. No elaboration necessary.

Finder by Carla Speed McNeil. The best SF comic ever, if you ask me.

DMZ by Brian Wood. The best Vertigo series? Not quite. The most overlooked? Clearly.

Swamp Thing by Alan Moore. Utilized the possibilities of prose in comics like almost no comics do today (and very few back then).

And yeah, Lucky Luke and Asterix. Comedic masterpieces.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Well, there's a differnece between my favorite, and what I consider the best.

As for my FAVORITE, it's the first run Cloak and Dagger series.

As for the best I ever read, Katsushiro Otomo's pre-Akira series Domu'. Alan Moore's usual suspects along with John Buscema era Savage Sword of Conan are also in there as runners up, along with a great little gem called Red's Planet.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Really depends on what mood I am in.

Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Tintin.
Asterix.
As a collective, the Donald Duck comics.
Watchmen.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I don't read many comics, but...

Scalped.

Watchmen was a close second.

Smithnikov said:
Well, there's a differnece between my favorite, and what I consider the best.

As for my FAVORITE, it's the first run Cloak and Dagger series.

As for the best I ever read, Katsushiro Otomo's pre-Akira series Domu'. Alan Moore's usual suspects along with John Buscema era Savage Sword of Conan are also in there as runners up, along with a great little gem called Red's Planet.
You know, I loved the Savage Sword comics, too, when I was young - more for the art at the time, but later I did appreciate the stories. Couldn't get enough of Conan.

Also, I enjoyed Domu. Sort of 'more traditional horror meets Akira'.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Two mentions of Asterix, which I've never heard of before. Reviewing.

EDIT https://www.amazon.com/Asterix-Omnibus-Golden-Sickle-Goths/dp/0752891545/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Asterix&qid=1556062126&s=books&sr=1-1

Like Cerebus? In the same league?

2nd edit: movies?!?!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAsx2D5YaVI

3rd: entire movie for free? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phymq0iprxU

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
My best isn't high art or that famous and keep in mind I read a lot of comics. From Saga to Frank Miller's run on Daredevil to Alan Moore's stuff to Warren Ellis work and while the mentioned men/pieces of work are great the BEST series I ever read was Chew

Like I said Chew isn't high art but my god do I enjoy every issue of it, the art is very stylized and cartoony which brings a lot of fantastic reaction scene to the characters that give them a lot of personalities on a single page and has callbacks that would give One Piece a run for its money.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
09philj said:
Saga. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples' fantasy space opera holds a special place in my heart as the first comic I ever bought from the local comics shop, but even if it wasn't it would still probably be my favourite. It's full of humour, warmth, and darkness in equal measure, all rendered in Staples' wonderfully vivid artwork.

Also look at Ghus. LOOK AT HIM.
Saga was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

Fables would be a second, though it gets dragged down somewhat by some of the 2nd half pacing and plot decisions(Snow Whites abusive ex who apparently can do what he wants because reasons), not to mention the authors occasional political soapboxing.