Best Shooter Levels

ramunjan

Jun 4, 2011
What FPS games have you played that really impressed you with the great level design the complemented their gameplay? I'm not talking about visuals here, so don't just name Crysis. One of my personal favorites is Half Life 2, just because Valve comes up with great set pieces. Seeing buildings falling apart or getting blown up in a fight with a Strider is really cool. Even the ending to Half Life 2: Ep 1 was interesting, even if it wasn't quite as epic as Ep 2.
Is it all just about visuals and awe-factor, or are there some things that make combat in certain areas work better? What do you guys think?

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Probably the section in Half Life when you get the Gauss Laser gun. From the second you get the gun and the music chimes up, you know that - as far as the bullying military are concerned - the boot is well and truly on the other (geeky) foot.

brick

Apr 14, 2009
HALO: CE second level when you step out of your downed escape pod onto Halo . . . wow.

Aug 21, 2010
Halo CE: level 2 (can't remember the name) and The Silent Cartographer (can't remember the number)
Quake: E1M6 - favourite single player level and favourite deathmatch level in that game
Pretty much all of Half Life 2, apart from the boat section (fighting that bloody helicopter, what a pain)
Timesplitters 2: the spaghetti western level, whatever it was called

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
-I'd have to go with The Maw from Halo: Combat Evolved. What a way to end a fantastic game.
-Killing Floor's Mountain Pass is awesome because it's so open. You can just get the Zeds to trail you while you run around the map.
-Nightfall from Halo: Reach brought back some great memories.
-The first levels of Medal of Honor: Frontline and Rising Sun were amazing.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
'We don't go to Ravenholm'. Brilliantly tense and somewhat surreal. I mean it's a total change of pace from the rest of the game, and Father Grigori just makes it superb.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
-Ravenholm and the Collapsed Tunnel in HL2 and EP1.

-Tricks and Traps in Doom II. Five words: Room Full of Hell Knights.

-Resistance 2's filled with them. Chicago and Bryce Canyon mostly.

-The Lighthouse section in The Darkness.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
My favorite mission in an FPS was probably the sniper mission in Call of Duty 4, All Ghillied Up. Probably the main thing that I remember from that game.

godofgamers

Oct 20, 2010
The part in COD 4 where you die from a nuke
Half Life 2 with the super gravity gun
Crysis level 4 I think. It's called "Relic" (And I do mean the gameplay. That level had a nice open feel, so I was free to run around invisibly and throw crabs at people.)

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
The sniper level in Modern Warfare. I love stealth. Though I call bullshit on that last shot. I so got his heart. [sub]grumbles...[/sub]

Poisoni

Aug 20, 2009
Halo 2 Scarab Hunting in New Mombasa, I forget the name of the level but the bit between the scarab owning the tank and you boarding the scarab is pretty darn intense.