Best UK female role models?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Relish in Chaos said:
Sorry to seem like I'm excluding people, but this one is just for the British folks, as it focuses on the UK (for whatever reason, other than that I just live here and know it well). Who do you think are the best British female role models, or best female role models living in Britain? Personally, J.K. Rowling has always been one for me, because I'm a writer, but a close second is Rachel Riley, who is as intelligent as she is beautiful (seriously, some of those maths puzzles on Countdown; I'm just like "WTF, how'd she get it that fast?").

How about you?
Janet Street Porter. And no I'm not going to explain why. If I have to tell you you'll just never understand.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
erttheking said:
Tom_green_day said:
Do you mean role model as in lifestyle? Because if so, what's JK Rowling done to be such a role model? Write famous books? Woop de doo, every single famous author has managed that. Her lifestyle isn't particularly notable for being good or bad.
Of course Emma Watson should be on the list, she's well known for trying to be a good girl (although slipping up at times) I'm not female though so don't quote me on that.
Well, she did donate so much to charity that she actually got downgraded from a billionaire to the millionaire.
As well as reading one of her at the time unprinted HP books to a dying girl over the phone. As far as role models go, she's not bad at all.

My personal favourite

You said nothing of them being stictly non-fictional :p

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
This:
Tom_green_day said:
[...]what's JK Rowling done to be such a role model? Write famous books? Woop de doo, every single famous author has managed that.
Followed by:

erttheking said:
Well, she did donate so much to charity that she actually got downgraded from a billionaire to the millionaire.
mechalynx said:
As well as reading one of her at the time unprinted HP books to a dying girl over the phone.
Outstanding.

OT:

Dawn French, perhaps? I don't know a huge amount about her personal life, but she's a lovely, bubbly woman with a whole lot of confidence and character who didn't need to try and thin herself down to work as a successful actress.

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
Margaret Thatcher. You know it, I know it, let's all just admit it.

Naw, really, Rachel Riley though. =3

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
kurupt87 said:
You're clearly not much into books if you think Rowling is a role model. All she's written is Potter, which was great don't get me wrong but, that's it.
I don't know, going from divorced single mother to one of the richest women on the planet off the back of her own work whilst also standing up to (and avoiding getting screwed by) major publishers and film companies makes her a pretty good role model. Granted there has been a healthy dose of luck in her run with Potter, but her ability to capitalise on the opportunities presented to her is far more than just luck. She also seems to take every opportunity to use her money and power to help people without either.

Claire Williams too, granted she's inherited the family business, but the family business is a Formula 1 team.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Relish in Chaos said:
OK, I'll just clarify that they have to be real. So, no Lara Crofts. A'ight?
I suppose the latest version of Lara Croft is a good role model for rich heiresses wanting to go from timid students to mass murderers, in a few hours :)

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Sorry if this seems snarky and/or de-railing, by I've never really understood the point of a role-model. Why are they needed? I just don't get why you need to use someone else's life to give yours meaning/guidance.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Sorry if this seems snarky and/or de-railing, by I've never really understood the point of a role-model. Why are they needed? I just don't get why you need to use someone else's life to give yours meaning/guidance.
You raise a good point, instead of trying to find a role model why not strive to be the role model. If anyone is a role model its going to be your parents after all they are the ones who you learn pretty much everything from

You could argue that pretty much anyone is a role model. Katie price is arguably a good female role model, shes a beautiful, succesful, a best selling author and an independant woman. Granted she probably isnt the best role model but you could argue a pretty good case for her