Best Use of Camouflage?

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
So I was browsing one of the many gun trading/selling websites I frequent, when I came across a surprisingly effective (and entirely unintentional) demonstration of camouflage.

And that got me wonderin', especially considering all the millions of patterns of camo out there, what's your favorite?

Got any good stories about using, or being fooled by it? What military force uses the best, do you think?

Man made camo only please. Everyone knows the Cuttlefish owns all.

Ahem: Editions: There's no one in the picture, sorry guys. Just a Remington 700 in .270 with a McMillan A5 Recoil Reducing stock, camo'd up with a variation on the woodland pattern. That blends entirely too well into the asphalt there.

Man made camo, as in something man has made. Putting leaves and sticks into your ghillie suit counts as 'made'. That cuttlefish that's about to clamp about your face meats in an uncomfortable manner? Not man made.

Also: A story!

A guy I knew a long time ago was airsofting on this huge outdoor field. He and his squad mates were going through this open area next to some brush, and apparently startled someone, as one of the bushes suddenly turned into a wookie and ran away.

Another story:

This one involves a bit of face palming. Different guy, still an airsofter (but this time a douchebag), was hanging out with me, and was talking about how amazing his multicam jacket was. He went on and on, and on about it, and we kept giving him "Yeah, whatever dude." reactions, so he finally got mad and ripped off his jacket, and tossed it onto the grass next to us.

Where it promptly stood out as not at all blending in. Bright green grass, dull greenish multicam.

He turned bright red, the rest of us laughed at him for being a dumbass, and yeah. Good times.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
Photoshop counts as camo now? I guess I learned something today. Or are we talking about the gun being painted?

OT: I like DPM pattern the best. I'm not entirely sure why, but I just like how it looks better than any other pattern I've seen.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Echer123 said:
Koeryn said:
What am I supposed to be looking at?
Apperantly someone put on gravel-coloured camo, but you're need to be in the perfect shade of gravel, and you see nohand blocking the trigger. No one is holding the gun. It's a photoshop.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Echer123 said:
Koeryn said:
Apperantly someone put on gravel-coloured camo, but you're need to be in the perfect shade of gravel, and you see nohand blocking the trigger. No one is holding the gun. It's a photoshop.
Really? The only thing I can make out is what looks like a pair of badly cropped lips above the scope.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Echer123 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Echer123 said:
Koeryn said:
Really? The only thing I can make out is what looks like a pair of badly cropped lips above the scope.
That would be a leaf. You can see another falling in the back ground. Camoflage makes you HARD to see, but should erase you from the picture directly. there is no evidence of ANY man being in this picture at all, you should see an outline, and be abnleto tell someone is there upon close inspection.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
i think this is the best camoflague EVER, even better than the cuttlefish

Koeryn said:
Man made camo only please.
problem there is that the best camoflague is taken from nature, pick up some leaves and branches that are common in that area and use them to blend in

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Echer123 said:
Koeryn said:
If you look really hard, there's a deciduous tree hiding somewhere in that patch of grass.

On a serious note, I think its the gun the OP is talking about.

Proctorninja

Apr 15, 2009
well i played manhunt at my school in a ghillie suit, no one found me but i did almost get stomped on a couple times

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I've never been fooled by camouflage nor do I know much about military camouflage... but here are some I found on the interwebz:

Enjoy!

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Koeryn said:
So I was browsing one of the many gun trading/selling websites I frequent, when I came across a surprisingly effective (and entirely unintentional) demonstration of camouflage.

And that got me wonderin', especially considering all the millions of patterns of camo out there, what's your favorite?

Got any good stories about using, or being fooled by it? What military force uses the best, do you think?

I quite enjoy Multicam and whatever varient of it that the Brits will be getting. Can't freaking wait for it to be issue. ACU isn't that bad either once you get it roughed up.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Ermmm.... I think most of you have missed OP's point by a mile.

The gun itself is pretty well camoflagued against the gravely road thingy, despite it beeing woodland camo on the gun. I dont think theres supposed to be a person there at all...
Koeryn said:

I'm loving the new British Camo - MTP (Multi terrain pattern) its a fusion of the old DPM and the airsofters favourite - multicam. It looks sexy as fuck.

The Officer holding the shotgun is wearing it.

Having said that, this pic was taken with the old desert DPM and it works very well :)

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
shootthebandit said:
i think this is the best camoflague EVER, even better than the cuttlefish

Koeryn said:
Man made camo only please.
problem there is that the best camoflague is taken from nature, pick up some leaves and branches that are common in that area and use them to blend in
That's man-made but using natural stuff. I meant no animal examples.