Best Versions of Final Fantasy 1-6?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to go back and play through the Final Fantasy series over the next few years, starting from the beginning. I've played the original versions before (except II), but never the newer releases. There seems to be a lot of different versions of 1-6 these days. I would like to play the best version of each one. What would you all advise?

Cheers. :)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm also very interested in people's answers to this. I'm trying to play (at least) all the numbered instalments, and have yet to play I - IV. It's quite difficult for me to get a hold of the old 8-bit (or 16-bit?) versions, but very easy for me to get the updated ports on Steam, so I want to know if it's especially worth grabbing the old ones.

Played the updated ports of V and VI already (without having played the original versions), and thought they did a fine enough job, though I suppose I don't have a proper comparison with personal experience to make. The gameplay and art seemed solid enough for what the games were trying to do, though.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I played the SNES release of FF6 and loved it.
Currently I have the gameboy advanced version and love it, and the Steam mobile port, which not so much. The controls seem weird and the animation/art style has completely changed.
I'm not against that per se, but I prefer the pixelly version I grew up with.

If you can't get the SNES version, I'd recommend the Gameboy Advanced and a DS to play it on.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 4 on the PSP

Final Fantasy 6 the updated sprite work on the monster sprites and such in the PC/Mobile one is worth it alone. And the PC/Mobile one has the new content from the Gameboy one.

Never played enough of 5 and 3 to care although I heard better things about 5.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Personally, my favorite version of FF 4 and 6 were the GBA versions (versions I've played are the SNES, GBA and DS for 4, SNES and GBA for 6) both versions have a more cleaned up translation (As iconic as some of the lines the original SNES games gave us, I prefer it when Yang isn't sneezing himself across the room) and there were extra dungeons added on in both versions. The ones in 4 were particularly good as there was one set where each one was tailored to be around each of the characters, which added a lot of personalty to the dungeons. FF 4 for the DS wasn't bad, but the 3D models lacked the charm of the old fashioned sprites, and the voice acting felt hit and miss.

For 1 and 2, the only versions I ever played for them were the GBA versions, so the GBA versions for those win by default.

I never played 3 or 5.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
dscross said:
I've decided to go back and play through the Final Fantasy series over the next few years, starting from the beginning. I've played the original versions before (except II), but never the newer releases. There seems to be a lot of different versions of 1-6 these days. I would like to play the best version of each one. What would you all advise?

Some suggestions

https://pastebin.com/nDC7j5bn

https://youtu.be/1m7kYraln6E

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
dscross said:

Final Fantasy I - PS1 or any version but the NES.
Final Fantasy II - GBA version.
Final Fantasy III - DS or Steam version.
Final Fantasy IV - GBA or PS1 (for the 2D version). DS or Steam (for the 3D version)
Final Fantasy V - GBA or PS1
Final Fantasy VI - SNES or GBA

EDIT: Oh, and avoid the mobile and Steam version of FFV and FFVI! (it's frustrating how the UI keeps getting in the way during the battles)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The newer version of 6 have absolutely awful "remaster" work done on it. Not even in terms of artstyle, but stuffs scaled at different resolutions and parts have weird filters on it while others don't.

Gameplay wise, they're all generally the sameish. Newer versions of 5 have some bonus content including a few additional jobs.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 4 on the PSP

Final Fantasy 6 the updated sprite work on the monster sprites and such in the PC/Mobile one is worth it alone. And the PC/Mobile one has the new content from the Gameboy one.

Never played enough of 5 and 3 to care although I heard better things about 5.
The monsters look pretty good in the mobile/PC port, but everything else is hideous. It looks awful. Play either the SNES or GBA versions. The SNES one has better music, but the GBA one fixed most of the glitches and added some extra content. There's also a PS1 version, but it has loading times so long that it's basically unplayable.
For V, play the GBA version.
Skip II and III.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I would say SNES Classic for FF6 so you can get the good old couch experience.

But really, I'd say emulate FF1-6 on a raspberry pi or off a laptop hooked up to a TV. When you're grinding, unplug the laptop and binge TV to take the grinding edge off.

FF1 - Read a few guides or watch some strategy videos before starting. Don't pick a Red Mage for your party, it's a waste. The GBA version is easier. But I'd say a modern emu with savestates is fine.

FF 3&4 - Maybe try the DS versions, but I'd say use an R4 cart. Unlike the GBA versions which were a little easier, the DS versions are a little more grind-y. That's fine for 3 but FF2 in America (FF4) was beloved because it wasn't grind-y and had a solid story you could beat in a rental period.
So, activate some cheats on the R4 carts for the DS versions.
Besides that, the other big downside of the DS versions is the voice acting... "WWWHHHYYYY!!!!" oh Ceh-sill. (Cecile)

Like a lot of people, I really don't think many re-releases have done justice to FF6. The PS1 version is fine, that's about it. SNES Classic or emu is better though for save states. PS1 also had a cool intro in the artstyle of Amano, which is the only time (iirc) that his weird, cool artstyle is rendered in 3D.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Arnoxthe1 said:
Just a small warning. I heard FF2 really sucked.
I played the GBA version of FF2 a few years back and it was an interesting experience. It introduces a lot of series staples(Ultima spell, Chocobos, Cid, Dragoons, etc) but it requires dealing with the incredibly frustrating difficulty curve at times and the awkward stat leveling system. I don't feel like I ever need to play it again.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Arnoxthe1 said:
Just a small warning. I heard FF2 really sucked.
I've heard the PSP version is a lot better. One reason for this thread is discovering whether such pieces of information are correct or not.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
The only versions of them I've played were the PS1 ones; FF Origins which had FF1 and 2, FF Anthology which had FF4 & 5, and FF6 which was released on its own. The version of FF3 I had was the DS one.

I'm ashamed to admit that I have never finished any of them however. No, not even 6.
I got the place where you can make a choice about Shadow and I think I ended up fighting a Weapon somehow and kept wiping and just gave up.

I will admit I'm not a massive fan of grind in games, so that probably also played a part!