Best Video Game Endings Evar.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
The first Mass Effect games ending was absolutely amazing. I've played a ton of games, but there are few as adrenaline-pumping awesome as what Mass Effect delivered. First time playing through it was incredible. It's one of those games where I wish there was a way to play it once again with fresh eyes, just for the experience of it being fresh and new once again.

That said, probably the most sentimental ending to a game for me is a toss up between Planescape: Torment, The Longest Journey, or Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhall.

Hmm... probably Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhall. Not because it's the most dramatic or cinematic ending, nor does it have the best ending boss fight, but because it was the end to one of my all time favorite gaming experience. By the time you reach the end of the game you'll have invested close to a hundred hours into this character if you imported from the original game, if not more. And so finally finishing the series and seeing the epilogue roll is a bitter-sweet thing comparable to finally putting aside the last book of a series you'd been reading and grown attached to. You knew it had to end eventually, and it was a good ending, you're just a little sad to know its over.

*sigh*

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I'm going to mirror all the MGS3's already posted in this thread.

Also: FF9. That game had an amazing ending.

-m

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
This has been done to death buddy so i'll just say the two things that I do everytime.

When Nathan Hale succumbs to the chimeran infection and Capelli is forced to shoot him in the head in what is easily the best cliffhanger in a game

When Midna reveals herself to be the Twilight Princess, goes back to her own realm and breaks the doorway between the Twilight realm and Links realm. I damn near cried.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus. From a certain event just before the final colossus up until the end, that game becomes really emotionally powerful and tragic, but is also a fantastic ending. (Much like the ending of the novel Deadhouse Gates).

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
"When you walk away; you don't hear me say: 'Please! Oh baby, don't go!'"

I cried like a... Well, I don't know what I cried like; but I cried a lot.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I'd go with Der Langrisser, it had several different endings and they were all good. My favorite one was the ending for the independent path.
You storm heaven and fight the hero of langrisser I, the guy whose spirit is sealed in your sword, and the goddess of light. Most epic fight I've ever seen in an srpg.

Also the ending to Lufia II was really sad but really cool in a way.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
J4D3N said:
TheZapper said:
I know not everyone would agree, but I really liked the Red Dead Redemption ending. It's been a while since there was an ending to a game that actually required some analysis.
I definatley agree with this, it was certainly an ending i was not expecting
I also loved the ending of RDR. It just makes sense on so many levels. If you didn't like it, take a moment to think about what all of the characters symbolized in the story and then think about where they ended up (and this doesn't only apply to John Marston). If you still don't like it, that's your right, but I guarantee you that you'll hate the ending by default if you don't think about it.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
metroid prime 3
didnt finish it but i already know it was good
for two reasons
1 it took me so goddamn long to get there that no game would give me so much joy to actually finish
2 its a fucking great game!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
The 'In Water' ending of Silent Hill 2. Perfect tragic ending to a tragic story.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
World in Conflict. An ending with an 80's power ballad that actually fits in quite well is always going to be awesome. ^_^

(Movie contains spoilers)

Code_Red

Jun 25, 2009
Xvito said:
"When you walk away; you don't hear me say: 'Please! Oh baby, don't go!'"

I cried like a... Well, I don't know what I cried like; but I cried a lot.
I love that ending.

OT: I thought the ending to MGS3 was awesome.