Best video game plot twists of 2010s? (SPOILERS!)

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I know we are almost halfway into 2020 (more like surviving), but I thought it would be fun to talk about biggest plot twist from our favorite games in 2010s. Any and all game plot twists are welcome, as long as the game came out between 2010-2019

I have been a huge fan of the AC series by this point. And Haythem seemed like a typical brotherhood assassin, except with class. So imagine my surprise, when I saw him putting a ring on Charles Lee's hand, and say "May the father of understanding guide us". I mean from the cover I knew I wasn't going to be playing as Haytham for very long, but having Haytham play and act exactly as an assassin would threw me off-guard

The whole time throughout the game I knew Walker was going insane. Yet, I held on to the hope that this Conrad person was somehow manipulating Walker to commit these horrible deeds. Walker was insane, and that was clear especially after the White Phosphorus scene. But he convinced me, the player, the blame lies with Conrad, and he turned out to be a figment of imagination as well. Now I'm no psychologist or therapist, but I feel this same is a literal PTSD simulator

For a game that's all about being the satire or a parody of our society, I found this moment to be rather shocking. I knew the game's plot was dropping hints here and there, but that didn't make any less shocking. Trevor is understandably upset, and continues to show his distrust towards Michael after this, and you can totally understand why Michael had to do it

Finding your son is the main driving force of the game's plot. You go through some major shits to get into the Institution and meet your now 10 years-old son- Wait, that's not your son. That's just a syn created by Father, the director of the Institution, and your real son. I mean the possibility of your character sleeping in that cryo pod was very possible, but the game never mentions it. This moment was so surreal for me. That being said, it does raise a question; During that memory sequence, was the 10 years-old Shaun the real one or the Synth?

Unless you choose to ditch the station and leave in Alex's escape pod, if you play the game through the end you get an ending depending on your choices... at least that's what the game wants you to believe. In the post-credits, some of the NPCs turned out to be the operators, and they and Alex had you go through a simulation this whole time. You can then either choose to become the link between humans and then typhons or kill every one in the room. I was going to call this ending out for lying to me, but then I thought it pulls "The Matrix" where your choice matters or not

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I suppose the twist at the end of Deltarune.

Where the main character pulls out his heart (maybe you the player) and throws it in a cage then pulls out Chara's knife. We will see if it comes to anything, but my interpretation is that hes tired of being controlled by the player and does that to escape from you.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
-BioShock Infinite (the whole Elizabeth/Anna thing, among other revelations)

-Resident Evil: Revelations (the Veltro revelation)

Honestly, there's better plot twists out there, but if I'm confining this to the 2010s and games I've actually played, these two come to mind.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
2B's real designation and the real reason she was partnered with 9S. Had me shook when I thought of the prior events under that context.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Life is Strange

The photography teacher is the bad guy

Sure you can say that it is foreshadowed in the first chapter, but I missed it and was totally caught me by surprise when it is revealed in chapter 4. I envy the people who got to play chapter 5 right afterwards because when playing the game as it came out, waiting those few months for the resolution was torture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you Mario!

But our princess is in another castle!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll add a spoiler tag for these later with more details.

COD4 - The big nuke going off and you do not get away in time. Very shocking back in 2008.

No More Heroes 2 - Jasper Batt Jr is getting revenge on Travis, because he (and the player) killed Jr's father and two brothers in the previous game. Thar's right, the Pizza Butt missions from the first game. Grasshopper pulled a But for me, it was Tuesday on the player. Because most players forgot that assassination mission existed. I sure as hell did.

Devil May Cry 5 - V is Vergil's human half. It's an easy one; especially if you listen to V's battle theme. Or if you've been paying attention to V's mannerism, and saying Vergil like things when in combat.

Evil Within 2 - The final Sykes side mission, if you resuced him the first time around, and did all of his side quests. The pod he used to get out of STEM only has a success rate of 25%. The other 75% go in to a deeper level of STEM that is a fate worse than death. Sebastian does not learn until after Sykes is gone and hears it on a recorded audio diary. We never know if Sykes makes it out, or if he's in a deeper part of STEM. Sad, but at least you get a double barrel shotgun for your troubles.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
God of War '18 has two pretty big ones at the end.

The fact that Faye knew everything that was going to happen, and also what will happen in the following games. Early on we're told she set things up so Kratos and Atreus are forced to leave and head out into the world, but during the ending we need to actually question what her relationship with Kratos and Atreus was really all about. Did she only hook up with Kratos so she could have Atreus, and did she only have Atreus/Loki because she knew he would cause Ragnarok and the death of the Gods? Did she start a family with Kratos all for the sake of revenge against the Gods that killed her entire race?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Already mentioned Spec Ops: The Line and BioShock Infinite. I'll add The Last of Us.

It's not a twist in the sense that it changes your interpretation of something that happened earlier, but it takes the finale to completely unexpected territory and it does in the most organic way possible (even if you don't like it or "agree" with it, you understand it from a character perspective).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Horizon Zero Dawn (with regards what a certain character did)
That and the what happened in the ELEUTHIA facility. I have a small child and realizing that A group of young adults with the education level of small children(and no adults to guide them) being released into a hostile world(due to running low on food) formed the ancestry of the game world(excluding Aloy) was brutal. It's a wonder there was any human race left by the time the game started.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I suppose the twist at the end of Deltarune.

Where the main character pulls out his heart (maybe you the player) and throws it in a cage then pulls out Chara's knife. We will see if it comes to anything, but my interpretation is that hes tired of being controlled by the player and does that to escape from you.
There are few games I'm really hoping we get a sequel to, but this is one of them. I respect Toby Fox's decision if he does or doesn't but Deltarune feels like the perfect follow up to Undertale and I really want to know where this is all meant to be going.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There are few games I'm really hoping we get a sequel to, but this is one of them. I respect Toby Fox's decision if he does or doesn't but Deltarune feels like the perfect follow up to Undertale and I really want to know where this is all meant to be going.
Totally agree, I hope we get one, but if we don't... well, I think we will get something else that is awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Metal Gear Rising - Learning that Jetstream Sam, as powerful as he was, is just a regular cyborg with little modifications. Which proves how tough and skilled he was, and why Raiden was outmatched at the beginning. Armstrong spelling out his end game to Raiden on making a stronger America with might makes right attitude. It's strengthens Armstrong's characterization. You understand why he's doing this, has some points, but can't fully agree with his unethical methods.

Code of Princess - The game does not take place in a distant past, but in the far future on Earth where mankind nuked itself back to the medieval times. The gods of Earth have been keeping humanity in check by constantly sending monsters their way, and keeping humans in medieval stasis. It's a cool and dark twist you don't see coming in a mostly light-hearted game. The twist works because there are minor clues to back it up, and the game is done by ex-Treasure employees. The same people who did Guardian Heroes. Most of their games are known for having dark elements, dark storylines, or downer/bittersweet endings. What's even cooler is you are given two choices after beating the final boss: destroy Distiny/The Destiny Stone completely, undoing all magic, but humanity can actually grow and move forward on its own and be okay. Or don't destroy her, thus keeping magic alive, but she would resurrect in 500 years or so, leaving it to the next generation. The "Destroy Ending" I consider canon and the best way to end the game. Plus, Zozo gets her original body back too.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
FF14 Dark Knight quest line: Fray isn't real. He's not a ghost. You took a dead man's soul crystal and manifested your anger and pain into a physical mentor

Reactions: BrawlMan