Best voice acting in a video game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Stephen Merchant as Wheatley in Portal 2 was probably the first time I really took notice of a voice actor.
Before that it was always just people talking, never really noticed if it was good or bad, but there's something about how Wheatley stumbles over his words without sounding like Stpehen's just messing up that makes it sound really real to my ears.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Telltale's Walking Dead is still pretty standout for me. The cast in general was great, but Dave Fennoy and Melissa Hutchison as Lee and Clem managed to nail the whole emotional range.

Spider RedNight said:
Speaking of Silent Hill, I liked Kirk Thornton as Harry Mason from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as well.
Michael McConnohie earned points with me on Kaufman's final monologue too.

Lucifiel

Sep 8, 2009
For me, it would have to be Gideon Emery, whom I got to know via Fenris in DA2. When you end up being so enthralled by a voice thaty it makes you overlook all of the character's flaws... it's something... I have since been able to recognize his voice instantly, be it movies or games.

Close behind would be Steve Blum (known him from playing Oghren in DA:O and Awakening, but preferred him as Grunt in ME.

As for female voice actresses go, it would have to be Jennifer Hale of course. I like the range of characters she can portray (go from Femshep, to the Mother in Broken Age, to Krem in DA:I).

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Mikejames said:
Telltale's Walking Dead is still pretty standout for me. The cast in general was great, but Dave Fennoy and Melissa Hutchison as Lee and Clem managed to nail the whole emotional range.

Spider RedNight said:
Speaking of Silent Hill, I liked Kirk Thornton as Harry Mason from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as well.
Yeahhh and like as you progress through the game you can hear him getting angrier and angrier and I'm like "dude calm down omg". That last monologue was great, though

Crash_7

May 3, 2014
I'm going to throw in an honorable mention for Terry Wilton, the narrator in the Trine games. I always described his work in those games as like having your grandfather tell you a bedtime story...if your grandfather was Alec Guinness.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mikejames said:

Spider RedNight said:
Oh now I have a name for Kaufman. I could replay that game endlessly just to listen to his voice.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Mass Effect- everybody but the Shepherds

I actually like the voices of Shepherd but considering opinion is divided they don't belong in greatest]

Bioware had some excellent recurring voice actors.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
hmm, as far as excellence in a series go there are too many in a tie for me to list, and most of my favorites have already been listed...

as to what I'd call the best... as in, a scene where the acting actually affected me emotionally... well, I'm probably in the minority, and feel free to mock me for the admission if you like, buuuut....

Metal Gear Solid 2. not the whole game, god no. as competent as the voice cast is, the dialogue they're working with is just too far beyond the line for it to win that kind of accolade.

No, I refer specifically to Otacon's performance in the aftermath of the final Vamp battle. I won't spoil just in case anyone has failed to play the game who may want to, but anyone who has played knows of what I speak.

In particular, the scene toward the end of the event, where he's by himself looking at the bird, who recites the only phrase it was taught to say, and he just breaks down sobbing. I did the same when that scene hit, the first time I played.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
Well seeing as most of the obvious choices are gone I'll go with a lesser known actor and say T J Ramini in dota 2 (yay another chance to talk about DOTA 2):
In addition to playing 4 of the best acted and most well Characterised Heroes in the game, his vocal range is uncanny: he plays a brutish British porcupine man, a squeaky tree fearing goblin like creature, a hushed eerie wraith and a lovesick oddly accented birdman, each totally different and incomparable. Hell the only reason I know these characters were done by the same guy is cause of the credits. sorry I din't link videos, I don't know how.

Merle Dandridge is good in pretty much every game she's been in; she was Alyx in HL2 and Marlene in TLoU (I liked her in it despite not being totally grabbed by the game).

Also special shout out to Dee Bradley Baker because he has played pretty much ever animal and monster sound in everything ever and I have no idea how a human can make some of those sounds; Appa and Momo from Avatar: TLA, Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb. He also did some of the infected sounds in the L4D games and was the Gravemind in Halo.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
The entire cast of HuniePop!

Seriously though I think I'd have to go with Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver for this. Michael Bell, Tony Jay, and Simon Templeman did extraordinary work bringing to life the characters of Raziel, The Lurker, and Kain.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
"Seriously though I think I'd have to go with Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver for this"

Kains voice acting was superb in all the games, I'd say his scene during the end of 'Blood Omen 2' is the absolute best. It might sound corny when written but:-

'If your kind ever reach that place of banishment again, I will be waiting!'

'(coughing and laughing) You will not live that long....'

'I have lived long enough, to dispose of you!'

-sounded outright Shakespearean with the voice cast they had.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
I really liked the voice acting in Poker Night 2, and the banter between the characters is great. Hearing Brock, GLaDOS, Claptrap, Ashley Williams, Sam and Max talk trash during a game of poker was awesome.

Emcee_N

Oct 15, 2014
Speaking of Sam and Max, I'm gonna go with the original LucasArts game. The "I can't pick that up!" comment chain alone left me almost on the floor.

Ali Hillis is good in everything I've heard her in (Liara in Mass Effect, Palutena in Kid Icarus and Smash Bros.)

Also, for my joke answer... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NwsQk7pPjI

EDIT: Also, Brandon Keener as Garrus.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Finally a "Best ..." topic where I can't just reflexively post Deus Ex. For as much as I love that game, holy crap do I have to admit it's got some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard (particularly the Chinese and French characters).

As for games with actually good voice acting... I'd probably go with Portal and Portal 2. I generally dislike puzzle games, but I was recommended these ones because of the characters in them... and wow, yeah, the dialogue and delivery made these games well worth playing.

Alternately I'd say Telltale's The Walking Dead or the Mass Effect games (excluding ME1 BroShep).