Best way to find games: recommend games to other ppl based on what you like

empleat

Jul 14, 2021
Hey,

I wanted to create this thread, because on Steam they allow to publish every garbage can and discovery queue really sucks! Also there are so many games, even there would be some game I would like to play perhaps - it is impossible to find!!! And honestly: I usually look at sites like IGN for top games to play and upcoming anticipated games, but gaming industry is brain dead nowadays!!! I got to gaming in 2000s era, so I Am used only to highest standards!!! 99.9% of today time games bore me to death! And I usually find what to play when reading forums and from recommendations from people, as gamers know best what is good!!! I Am looking for something to play all the time and I Am not in mood for anything and also I have headache, so nothing which has high learning curve please!

So say what you like and let other people to recommend games to you and in reverse...

Genres:
I don't have any genre I like specifically, main is if game is good!!!

I like: FPS, RTS (tho I don't like other RTS games except SC, because there aren't any good, with exception of Frostpunk, They are Billions) , Strategy (XCOM, don't like Civilization cause 1 game takes 12 hours and builder games are kinda boring...), Puzzle games (only most difficult), I also love Exploration games, RPG (like Oblivion, or STALKER, I don't like 2D like Diablo, because you just farm creeps in same locations over and over!), Simulation (not boring types like house flipper or Euro Truck sim 2, more like Arma 3), Atmospheric, Story-Rich (combined mainly with other genres) ...anything which doesn't give me executive disfunction!

But I don't like: Sports, 2D (except top games like Undertale and Braid), Anime, Card games, MMORPG, Adventures - used to liked them a lot, but I played best already, there are not any good ATM!

My list of most favorite games not necessary in this order: Half-Life, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, F.E.A.R, FarCry 1 only, Portal 2, NFS Most Wanted 05, CoD 2 & 4 & MW2, all BF games, Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, Subnautica 1, Disco Elysium, Mass Effect 1 & 2, CSS, Starcraft II, Warcraft III, Bear Simulator, Die Young, Outlast 1, Mafia 1 only, GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Crysis 1, Penumbra, I feel there are not really many games which are goo - so I don't recall anything else

I enjoy games mainly
because:
1. because they are fun
2. because they are challenge (but not artificially made)
3. because they require thinking
4. there is sense of progression
5. I prefer linear, but with multiple options and strategy/tactics
6. there is some goal, I don't like boring open world games, unless they are good!

And I like mainly multiplayer games which have replayability like CS, Starcraft, BF etc. I like competitive games, which take skill, but there aren't many of them, currently don't like anything... I was Supreme in CS GO and top 1 masters in SC2 and I don't really like League, there isn't anything which would interest me ATM...

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well my way of finding games lately has just been walking around the flea market and getting whatever's dirt cheap because I've mostly been into retro stuff lately, but since you do seem to like a fair bit of horror I'll recommend what I've been playing lately though you should likely emulate it as it's normally not a cheap game, not super expensive either but definitely not cheap, also probably the best way to play it if you don't have a PS2 or OG Xbox.

Anyways I'm talking about Clock Tower 3, it's a pretty weird and quirky horror game with really bizarre but charming over-exaggerated animations and acting, at the time it was also pretty revolutionary in that it was one of very few horror games in which you mostly just run away and hide (The only other game from that era that I can think of is Haunting Ground which I haven't played yet), the game is very distinctly Japanese and has a strange plot of about being a girl that comes from lineage of Hunters and basically while during most of the gameplay you can't fight, during boss battles you summon a magical bow to kill enemies, it's weird, but I really like the health system, rather than gaining damage you gain panic, the higher the meter is, the less control you have over your character, causing her to trip, get paralyzed in fear, sprint on a random direction away from the threat without your input (Possibly into a roadblock) and things of the sort, it's pretty cool.

Since I'm in the topic of horror games and you did mention Call of Cthulhu, I feel I must mention what I personally fee is the best Cosmic Horror (Admittedly I haven't played that many) game I've played, Which is Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube (It can also be easily emulated with Dolphin if you lack a Gamecube or Wii), it's this pretty interesting story spanning multiple epochs regarding the summoning of an Elder God, you mainly play Alex Roivas a Woman investigating the mysterious murder of her father, during which she discovers documents about different people that throughout history that encountered and ancient book called The Tome of Eternal Darkness discovering that there was much more to her father's murder than originally suspected, you also play as the characters in the documents you find, the game also has a pretty cool implementation of a sanity system which can be really fun to mess around with, but it's also too easy for a horror game so unfortunately for me the gameplay isn't really very scary at all, but at least it's entertaining and the story is interesting and well presented.

For RPGs I'll just recommend Lost Odyssey for Xbox 360 (It is my understanding it's also available digitally for more modern Xbox consoles), it's just a really interesting RPG about the sad story of an immortal that deals with pretty heavy themes of loss, all wrapped in a very Final Fantasy like typical JRPG, but it's solid and the story is just fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Mumbler

empleat

Jul 14, 2021
I probably should add I play only on PC. And even I like 2000s era games a lot, I Am not that kinda guy which usually emulates games, or plays old DOS games. Although there are definitely some emu games worth checking out! I watched a streamer play Metal Gear Solid and I must say: what a game!!! And I Am not really that much to horrors TBH, I liked some adventures like Outlast, Amnesia, which are horrors admittedly. But they were exceptional games, also atmospheric and had a great story! Just EPIC! I Am probably into EPIC games mostly, that's a common factor :D Or original, I need constantly new things... Maybe I will check these out later TY...

Oh and I also liked Max Payne 2, AC 1, Pariah, Quake 4, there weren't really that many games I think... Everyone today plays League, or CS GO mostly...

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I don't adhere to any particular genre.

Off the top of my Head recently - I liked Persona 4 Golden, I did not like Persona 5 royal, Liked Yakuza 0, Liked Death Stranding, liked Slay the Spire, Mostly liked Outriders, Loved Resident Evil 2 Remake, So far I hate Resident Evil Village, I like Counter-strike GO, Loved Dark Souls II and III, Couldn't really get into Sekiro, Loved Disciples II, I loved all Far Cry games except Far Cry 2 which crushed my soul. I really liked this crappy little indie Deus EX type game called E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Loved Burnout: Paradise. I love PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+, Loved Labyrinth of Refrain, Loved Wizardry II and VIII, Final Fantasy VI and VII.

Idk good luck recommending anything to me. I like lots of games and I'm old.

I'm thinking about hunkering down and playing Witcher III. I tried starting from the first one, but it's unplayable trash and most people seem to agree that you can just play the 3rd one and get the gist.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Play Baba is You.

or Outer Wilds

They meet all 6 points on your list

I would have recommended Noita, a game where every pixel is simulated, but you said you don't want a game with a steep learning curve.

Also I wish that bold text stood out on this site better so I could truly appreciate all the bolding you've done.

Reactions: empleat

empleat

Jul 14, 2021
I don't adhere to any particular genre.

Off the top of my Head recently - I liked Persona 4 Golden, I did not like Persona 5 royal, Liked Yakuza 0, Liked Death Stranding, liked Slay the Spire, Mostly liked Outriders, Loved Resident Evil 2 Remake, So far I hate Resident Evil Village, I like Counter-strike GO, Loved Dark Souls II and III, Couldn't really get into Sekiro, Loved Disciples II, I loved all Far Cry games except Far Cry 2 which crushed my soul. I really liked this crappy little indie Deus EX type game called E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Loved Burnout: Paradise. I love PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+, Loved Labyrinth of Refrain, Loved Wizardry II and VIII, Final Fantasy VI and VII.

Idk good luck recommending anything to me. I like lots of games and I'm old.

I'm thinking about hunkering down and playing Witcher III. I tried starting from the first one, but it's unplayable trash and most people seem to agree that you can just play the 3rd one and get the gist.
I don't understand Witcher 3, I farmed everything in starting location and I was only level 3.7. But in second location everything is level 5+ and already level 8-9 enemy, which I couldn't kill. So I stopped playing that game for now, as it is annoying... Even you can readjust difficulty on the fly, which is then too easy, or too hard and you will be doing that every 15 minutes so...

Did you play Oblivion, or flatout, Mass Effect? Probably... Devil may cry? Nothing else comes to my mind now.