Bethesda Announces New Digital Platform Bethesda.net

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Bethesda Announces New Digital Platform Bethesda.net

Bethesda announced the new digital platform during their inaugural E3 conference Sunday night.

The Bethesda conference opened with blood and bangs, showcasing the upcoming DOOM 4 title, along with the reveal of DOOM SnapMap: a feature that enables players to build, and share, their own modes and maps.

Following the reveal, Bethesda announced a new digital platform, called Bethesda.net, which will be the home to all things Bethesda. "Supporting mods is just one of the ways Bethesda is pushing the boundaries of what is possible in games. Over the last year we've been working on how to expand, and how gamers should create and share that content." Bethesda.net is already being used to support The Elder Scrolls Online across every platform for "millions of players."

Bethesda.net will feature forums, exclusive videos and articles, and access to games and new features.

"Bethesda.net builds on our commitment to developing and supporting great AAA games."

Very little was given during the presentation as to how the hub would operate. We will keep you updated as more information is provided.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I have great faith in Bethesda's ability to make sprawling, well designed open worlds. Viable, smoothly designed technical infrastructure doubling as online DRM, which may or may not disable my games when inevitably their servers crap themselves? I'm not convinced. Here's to hoping it's not another Origin or Uplay, those two are enough of a headache.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
No, no no, bad Bethesda. I do not want another fucking launcher! I already have Steam and Battle.net and that's still 1 too many, even if the latter is actually stable and functional for once.

List

Sep 29, 2013
Soon all AAA publishers will have their own launcher. So they get all the moneyz!!! Fuck consumer convenience!!

Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Uplay, now bethesda.net, etc, etc...

After that we will have a launcher for those launchers. It will be a launchception!!!

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Here's to hoping it's not another Origin. I get that these people are hankering for a slice of that digital distribution pie that Steam is currently bogarting, but so far not very many companies have tried it and actually gotten it right.

I'm all for Steam having more competition since that'll put pressure on them to provide service even greater than in the past, but thus far everyone that's tried has failed to gain much traction.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Anyone else have a feeling this is going to be a step towards how they lock out modders so they can enforce paid mods?

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I think this launcher is targeted specifically to Bethesda hardcore fans. It is a one-stop shop for their games and mods. I don't believe they will be selling other products on it, and I think they understand it will be a bad idea to use it as DRM. If you don't want another launcher or aren't a hardcore Bethesda fan you can probably still purchase the games from Steam/GOG/Wherever.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
DeepReaver said:
Anyone else have a feeling this is going to be a step towards how they lock out modders so they can enforce paid mods?
That was litterally my first thought when seeing the title. Unless we have confirmantion otherwise that the NEXUS will still be a viable platform for mods then I will wait until the game is cracked to support it before I buy it. Yes, I will still buy it but
the mods for it will come from where I want them to.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Knowing Bethesda, their new launcher will be so full of bugs - it won't work.
But I do wonder why so many publishers are so keen on launchers - no one likes them and they make it a pain in the bum to play the games.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
List said:
After that we will have a launcher for those launchers. It will be a launchception!!!
Actually, that's not a bad idea. A launcher to streamline the individual launcher bullshit from developers. Someone get on that!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So Bethesda saw that trying to steal money from modders through steam isnt working and decided to do it all themselves with Fallout 4. On the flip side, i was right, on the downside, the world is now completely insane.

GundamSentinel said:
List said:
Actually, that's not a bad idea. A launcher to streamline the individual launcher bullshit from developers. Someone get on that!
Actually, one is being developed. alternatively you can use something like Raptr to launch all games regardless of launcher.