Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Ughh. I don't personally like MMOs, but I can't sit here and say no one should have a TES MMO if they really want one. Whether people actually want one or not is another issue.

The problem I have is how long will it take until we get the next good single-player TES game? I loved KOTOR1-2 and when TOR was announced I knew they would probably make a single-player KOTOR somewhere along the like... but TOR took 6 years and there's no new KOTOR in sight.

I just want them to make another good single-player TES game, and I fear we might witness the end of single-player TES the same way we saw the death of single-player KOTOR. It's the same reason I did a celebratory arm-pump when I heard the Fallout MMO was finally killed. These games are good because of what they are, just keep making them and feed the money machine, don't gamble it all away on these extremely costly and ultimately likely nonprofitable ventures that you decided to embark upon based on metrics from 5 years ago.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
The7Sins said:
Really? Well damn. Guess I'm not buying another Elder Scrolls game ever again. Shame they didn't announce this before I got Skyrim. Well @ least now I won't feel the need to spend money for its DLCs as this announcement has ruined the series and every game in it for me.
How the fuck does that work?
Bethesda is not even making the game!
Their still busy with their next game.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
If you can get a house, cast traps, summon deadra guards and lock your doors then wait for other players to try and break into your house... that will be great!

I want to break into my friends houses and move all of their things! I wont take anything because why would I steal from my friends? Maybe put a lightning trap on their bed, hahahaha!

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Yet another series killed by an MMO. You can guarantee that another ES game will never see the light of day now. Thanks Bethesda...I guess.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Stormz said:
Yet another series killed by an MMO. You can guarantee that another ES game will never see the light of day now. Thanks Bethesda...I guess.
BETHESDA ISNT MAKING IT

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I'm not sure how to feel about this, my computer may be a bit outdated by Christmas 2013, which is my guess for release. Even if I feel it is fully capable to play it, I'm not sure I'll even want to, I originally intended to play SWTOR but liked it less and less as it got closer, didn't feel like paying for something that would kill so much of my time. I doubt I'll end up getting this, even though I love TES, it would require a lot of amazing announcements for me to even consider it. Chances are it'll just be another "WoW killer" that fully fails to deliver. I've never seriously invested in an MMO and it'll take a lot for me to finally make that leap.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Sooo Zenimax is developing right? I assume that means this isn't the end of single player Elder Scrolls? I guess the story being that distant from the the events of skyrim add credence to that too...

Phew, panic over. Carry on Zenimax.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Someone leaked scans of the gameinformer info

it is interesting
Link please?

It'd be nice to have a little more info to fuel my wild speculations for the next month or so.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Stormz said:
BETHESDA ISNT MAKING IT
OKAY THANKS FOR TELLING ME.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Faerillis said:
SajuukKhar said:
Faerillis said:
Surely I can't be the only one who sees that setting this in the Second Era is a TREMENDOUSLY stupid idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the game and I love the Elder Scrolls but 1000 years beforehand is incredibly stupid.

This is a pre-established game universe, so we already know exactly what happened. Adding something big and important that is in no way mentioned in any of the games already would be an utter ass-pull. Also, what's wrong with setting it in say 4E210? You want 3 Factions? The Cyrodilic Empire (Cyrodiil, High Rock, Orc Strongholds), The Free Nations (Skyrim, Black Marsh/Morrowind, Hammerfell), and The Thalmor States (Summerset Isles, Valenwood, Elsweyr).
Actually we dont know what happened, most of the second Era is a historical dead-zone.

Also there is a thing called a dragon-break that allows Bethesda to rewrite time at their leisure.
I'm saying that if, as is the plan, Molag Bal tried to pull all of Tamriel into his Daedric Realm of Coldharbour at any point in history there is no way we wouldn't have heard of it.
Of course there is a way, even in Skyrim they have forgotten so much about groups who played a huge part in the Oblivion Crisis. The most likely thing to happen would be that story became a myth, maybe you read about it in a book not even worth 20 septims so you dont get a skill increase... pffft!

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Ehhhhhhhhhh, shit.

I'll still hang onto a little thread of hope, but I fear that if it actually does do well, where that will leave resources for Bethesda and the single-player games or if it will have influence of those future games.

Or maybe we'll finally get a co-op TES game rather than a full-blown MMO. "...something fans have long said they wanted," I never asked for this. I'm pretty sure the majority of fans just want co-op.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I'm willing to look forward to this.
At least seeing more details and stuff.