Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
And there was much rejoicing.

Regrettably, since I probably won't even be able to run GW2, doubt I'll be able to run this.

It'll probably be monthly, too. That'll hurt me.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I'm afraid, very afraid. I've known this was coming for a long time, ever since they started hiring MMO developers a few years back and I've been thinking of all the ways the loot and weapon systems could be adapted, along with quick travel systems. I'm hesitantly hopeful that Bethesda can pull it off, but most likely it will suck as hard as Skyrim without mods on the PC, worse it could be extremely boring and suck like Oblivion without mods on the PC.

captcha* meat and drink

Ya, taverns should have something worth while to do with your friends.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
noahpocalypse said:
I'd love to play this if it's well-made. But this better the hell not mean the end of solo TES games.

The mechanics of this will need to be slightly different than most MMOs, methinks. A huge part of TES games has been exploration, and if ZENIMAX wants to keep their whole fanbase, they'd better not abandon exploration in favor of where you are being dependent upon your level.
Fixed that for you

Bethesda
is
not
making
the
game

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Hmm.

I've always liked the fact that my Elder Scrolls experience is entirely single-player, and would be absolutely horrified if they ever threw a multiplayer element into any of the main series games. And the last time one of my favourite series went MMO, the result was something that I found completely unplayable. So... why am I thinking "holy shit, this will be amazing"?

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
My only question is, is it going to be like most mmo's the dreaded mouse click rts style gameplay or will it hold true to elder scrolls gameplay style?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, it's coming out soon. Interesting. I'm definitely intrigued by this, but I have the feeling I won't play it, primarily because I don't play MMOs. I'm really interesting in seeing Elsweyr, though I would rather finally see it in TES 6.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Bloodstain said:
Please. Let this game have a first person perspective.

I beg you.
In a world of enabled PVP, being in first person when third person is an option will gimp you.

Being stuck in first person... I'd rather just play a shooter. No mobs to worry about, only other players.

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
This might not be bad if it plays similarly to previous TES games and/or Mortal Online(an MMO which is first person and has TES-like combat). If they turn TES into a 'typical' MMO, however, I can imagine it not even vaguely embodying the aspects of TES that its fans enjoy. If they use a standard questing system, that could ruin the open world focus of the games. Something like Guild Wars 2's dynamic events could work pretty well for a TES game, however.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Praise the Nine!

Was wondering if/when this would happen ever since I heard they had aquired the domain name. If it's got that Elder Scrolls feeling than I see myself playing this... Probably far too much.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I never ever play MMOs. This is my exception. I might need to butter up my friend who works at Bethesda for subscriptions because I can't afford paying for them :/

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
shameduser said:
I wanted Coop not an MMO. I wish Bethesda wasn't going this route. There is nothing more risky then an MMO.
Bethesda isn't going this route... Zenimax is.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Why does an MMO have to be a WoW killer? As long as it's reasonably successful and fun that should be good enough for anyone. Not even blizzards next project will kill WoW. The only way to actually kill WoW is for Blizzard to turn the servers off, and even then some fan will start up their own.

Mar 5, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
shameduser said:
I wanted Coop not an MMO. I wish Bethesda wasn't going this route. There is nothing more risky then an MMO.
Bethesda isn't going this route... Zenimax is.
Well then that makes more sense. I've never trusted Zenimax, with their shifty eyes and their heavily starched suits.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
This could work.

Especially if they use Skyrim combat, which, while nothing spectacular in the first player area would be ground breaking in the MMO area.

So basically I am cautiously optimistic. The fact that this takes place before Skyrim and not after is also a good sign.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years. Even if its being made by another company I highly doubt they will release a single player to compete.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Zeckt said:
Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years.
Its being made by zenimax online not bethesda.
READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING

EDIT: sorry just saw you added something.

HyperDavidovich

Sep 2, 2011
I guess I saw this coming, can't say I'm surprised, but I'm dismayed. Why? Well...

check out this article:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1222757p1.html

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Zeckt said:
Can't say I'm too happy about this, because now elder scrolls will literally be frozen with the mmo coming out. Expect the next single player elder scrolls in 10-12 years. Even if its being made by another company I highly doubt they will release a single player to compete.
Skyrim sold millions of copies even if it competes they will still sell milions upon millions of copies anyway