Bethesda Claims It's Done With Skyrim

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bethesda Claims It's Done With Skyrim

Bethesda is moving on to its "next adventure," meaning the company won't create any more content for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Sad news for Skyrim fans: There's no more downloadable content in development for the game. After the Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn expansions, it seems that the development team wants to work on something else.

"Skyrim has been a labor of love for us since we started designing it in 2006," reads a new post on the official Bethesda blog. "We never imagined it would become the phenomenon it has. And that is because of you, the fans. It was all of you who made it a success. We can't thank you enough for embracing the game, spreading the word, and making it your own."

"For the last year and a half we've been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs. Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio's full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet."

Despite this, Bethesda claims that it will continue to support the game, issuing bug fixes and patches for the various versions of Skyrim as necessary. "We've invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it," the company claims.

While Bethesda is done with Skyrim, PC players at least have the wealth of user-generated content built by the Skyrim community to keep them busy for the next millennia. Console users have no such luck, but with the initial size of Skyrim coupled with the additions made by the game's three major DLC packs, there's plenty there to keep you occupied for quite some time.

Now, more crucially, what's this "next adventure" Bethesda mentioned? We've known about The Elder Scrolls Online for quite a while and if the blog post were referring to that game, why not simply mention it? This secrecy leads me to believe that Bethesda has another project in the works, one we don't know about, that the Skyrim team has been assigned to work on. It's too soon for another singleplayer Elder Scrolls game, but Bethesda does have another big RPG franchise that's due for a sequel at some point soon. A franchise with a more dedicated focus on guns and technology. A franchise that you might describe as "post-nuclear."

Ah, but that's just wishful thinking. I know as little about Bethesda's next project as any of you. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/15/moving-to-our-next-adventure/]

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Shame. Not as much DLC as I expected. Was hoping for one or two more packs.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
really?

c'mon bethesda. while DawnGuard and Dragonborn were good they werent great. nowhere near as good as the expansions for morrowind or oblivion.

not to mention its still buggy for consoles (PC has an unoffocial patch which is much better than the official updates)

dont get me wrong i love skyrim but it does feel like bethesda did phone it in a bit

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
FinalDream said:
This. I was hoping for one more big one like Dragonborn. Ahh well, mods it is then.

In other assumptions:

"FALLOUT! ... FALLOUT! ... FALLOUT! ..."

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Fair enough, they've put a lot of work into Skyrim.

Now, time to start praying to the Bethesda gods for Elder Scrolls: Blackmarsh...

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
May the Fallout Flame Wars begin. Again. Geez.

Also, don't be disappointed, Skyrim fans! If you made the wise choice and bought the game on PC, there's actually a pretty neat Bionicle total conversion mod for Skyrim [http://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-of-the-toa] in the works. It looks pretty neat.

I just felt that needed to be said. Up, up, and away!

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
For the love of all that is holy MORE Fallout, I've ground Fallout 3 into a fine powder and need more, give me a fix man give me a fix.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
FinalDream said:
There was "supposed" to be 5 in total. At least from what I remember, anyways. I'm willing to bet the whole PS3 fiasco had something to do with it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Elder Scrolls Online is being done by a completely different team. It was stated even before they got done with the Dragonborn Expansion for Skyrim.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
deathbydeath said:

Also, don't be disappointed, Skyrim fans! If you made the wise choice and bought the game on PC, there's actually a pretty neat Bionicle total conversion mod for Skyrim [http://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-of-the-toa] in the works. It looks pretty neat.

I cannot believe I did not know about this sooner!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If it means they're moving on to Fallout 4, then I'll be one extremely happy chappy. Couldn't find myself giving much of a shit about Skyrim after one playthrough, so didn't bother with the DLC either.

However, I've been waiting for a new Fallout for quite some time :D

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
So they started work on Skyrim the same year Oblivion was released. It is not at all unreasonable that they have started work on the next Elder Scrolls game. I'm not saying that's where they are directing the whole team to or that ESVI is what they are referring to. I'm just saying it's not a ridiculous option.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I'm at an impasse with what they should do next. While it's pretty clear that they're working on Fallout 4, I feel that they don't need to make the next big thing. Skyrim, while big, was just really shallow and didn't give the player too much freedom on how to tackle certain scenarios, and had little to no meaningful benefits and consequences for your actions, and in the end they broke promises about a few features making it in the final game. But that sense of exploration... They just get it right. Perhaps they should work on an original IP that focuses on exploring a world mostly abandoned and unpopulated, resulting in few characters that you interact with? (Not Fallout)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It may be done making new Skyrim content but does this mean we won't get a 5th year Anniversary edition? In all seriousness, I haven't played any of the DLC yet. I may eventually but I haven't played any yet.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
This is actually good for console players.
It's a bit like Minecraft was a few updates ago.
*new content new content new content small bug fixes new content new content*

I'm totally okay with them taking some time to work on just fixes.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Honestly I guess it's fine. They already put a lot of effort into what they had. Dawn Guard and Dragonborn were a bit larger then their usual DLC packs. If they just want to focus full force on their next title so be it. Just make it awesome Bethesda.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Bethesda: Can we has Fallout 4 nows?
Kidding aside, you'd think they would have announced this sooner, like after Dragonborn was released. That weird gap in time suggests they were working on one more DLC, but decided to scrap it (or more likely integrate its content into TES: Online). A bit disappointed, but at least this means they'll probably be putting on the Game of the Year edition soon; I've got friends who are waiting for that.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
spartandude said:
really?

c'mon bethesda. while DawnGuard and Dragonborn were good they werent great. nowhere near as good as the expansions for morrowind or oblivion.

not to mention its still buggy for consoles (PC has an unoffocial patch which is much better than the official updates)

dont get me wrong i love skyrim but it does feel like bethesda did phone it in a bit
I wouldn't consider the Oblivion DLC/expansions any better, even slightly worse, than what we have for Skyrim. Morrowind, on the other hand, was a time when expansions, not DLC, were made thus being better not only in size but in quality. And a Bethesda game buggy on consoles? Yeah, I never buy their games on console.

At least this will probably mean a GotY edition will come out soon-ish.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
deathbydeath said:

That did need to be said. It'll be the first mod I get whenever I get Skyrim for PC whenever that happens

On topic:I'm willing to say goodbye to Skyrim if it means next gen FALLOUT!!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I hope they do not make another Fallout game as I do not believe Bethesda are able to capture the Fallout 'vibe' as well as Obsidian was able to. Then again I don't know if Obsidian will be keen to work alongside Bethesda once more considering the whole "no bonuses for Obsidian for New Vegas despite great sales figures because you scored 84 and not 85 on metacritic due to Q&A failures that Bethesda was responsiable for".

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
And we bid thee farewell. May you live on in the Steam workshop, and the Steam Summer sale

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I wonder if this has anything to do with the exclusivity contract Bethesda had with Microsoft.

Could it be that Microsoft was no longer willing to pay for the timed exclusive DLC and thus it was the end of all Skyrim DLC?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
tbh, i have enough mods to last me forever, not including the ones that have yet to exist since japan hasn't had its way with it completely yet

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
grigjd3 said:
So they started work on Skyrim the same year Oblivion was released. It is not at all unreasonable that they have started work on the next Elder Scrolls game.
Agreed.

Oblivion development started not long after Morrowind, in 2002, and released 2006; Conceptual work on Skyrim started not long after Oblivion, in 2006, and full development started 2008, for late 2011 release.

If they take a similar schedule then starting work now on the next Elder Scrolls would give a target of somewhere around a 2016 / 2017 release. I suppose its just an opinion, but I dont really understand the claim of
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's too soon for another singleplayer Elder Scrolls game
How long would they need to wait for it to not be too soon? Do they need to aim for a 2050 release?

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Man i cannot wait for the next fallout game! Bethesda quit beating around the bush I need some details! But then again take all the time you need I want it to be as nice as possible so don't rush it.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
On topic:I'm willing to say goodbye to Skyrim if it means next gen FALLOUT!!
Do you know how hard it is for that to show up in my messages and not comment on it?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Dr.Awkward said:
I'm at an impasse with what they should do next. While it's pretty clear that they're working on Fallout 4, I feel that they don't need to make the next big thing. Skyrim, while big, was just really shallow and didn't give the player too much freedom on how to tackle certain scenarios, and had little to no meaningful benefits and consequences for your actions, and in the end they broke promises about a few features making it in the final game. But that sense of exploration... They just get it right. Perhaps they should work on an original IP that focuses on exploring a world mostly abandoned and unpopulated, resulting in few characters that you interact with? (Not Fallout)
I think you're right about Bethesda and story telling. If Obsidian weren't so clearly pre-occupied I'd like to see a collaborative effort for Fallout 4, but that's not going to happen unless we want to wait like 5 years.

They've always got Dishonored. I do think it would be interesting to take it to a more open world level, but without the kind of depth they aren't equipped to create, I don't know.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
bigfatcarp93 said:

Now, time to start praying to the Bethesda gods for Elder Scrolls: Blackmarsh...
*slap* ...NO!...Elder Scrolls VI: ELSWEYR, not Blackmarsh! And no, don't say, "Oh, doesn't the mod "Moonpath to Elsweyr" count?" because no, it doesn't!

OT: Well, that sucks. I still love Skyrim and all of its DLCs, and I'm glad that they're going to continue to support it by fixing any glitches or bugs still present, but I'm sad that there won't be any more DLCs...even though it seems like there were going to be a few more left...

Still, this does give me an excuse to start downloading a few mods I've had my eyes on; I was afraid that future DLCs would conflict with the ones I wanted. Now that Bethesda said that there aren't going to be any more, I can download without fear...but not without scrutiny, of course.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This is horrible news for my Female Khajiit on the console version. I had pre ordered this game in part so my Female Khajiit could marry another Female Khajiit. I was hoping that Bethesda would correct these issues they created via DLC.

Once the GOTY / Ultimate version of Skyrim arrives my Female Khajiit will be replaced by a Female Argonian who will marry a Male Dark Elf. Most likely Revyn Sadri.

My Female Khajiit will return in Skyrim GOTY / Ultimate for Steam.... After the 6th Single Player TES is available.... Partly a safety precaution.... And when she does.... All Lesbian Khajiit Group Marriage.... Thanks Skyrim Mods....

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
LG Jargon said:
bigfatcarp93 said:

*slap* ...NO!...Elder Scrolls VI: ELSWEYR, not Blackmarsh! And no, don't say, "Oh, doesn't the mod "Moonpath to Elsweyr" count?" because no, it doesn't!
Why not both? Why settle for one province... when we could have two? Have the game take place in an area encompassing both Blackmarsh and Elsweyr, with the player able to freely step back and forth. Give it a story-driven name like Oblivian had, and boom. Next Elder Scrolls game, with not only an utterly unique visual aesthetic, but TWO utterly unique visual aesthetics.

Captcha: Chow Down

Yeah, this sounds like a game I'd really like to bite into...

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Strange they didn't make this announcement four months ago when Dragonborn had just released. This whole time I was expecting at least one more DLC.

Ah well, all good things must come to an end... and make room for Fallout 4, as the saying commonly goes.

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
Why not both? Why settle for one province... when we could have two? Have the game take place in an area encompassing both Blackmarsh and Elsweyr, with the player able to freely step back and forth. Give it a story-driven name like Oblivian had, and boom. Next Elder Scrolls game, with not only an utterly unique visual aesthetic, but TWO utterly unique visual aesthetics.

Captcha: Chow Down

Yeah, this sounds like a game I'd really like to bite into...
I agree partly, but it would be rather awkward combining Elsweyr and Blackmarsh, since there's a small patch of Cyrodil in between them. In my opinion, it would make much more sense to combine Valenwood and Elsweyr. They're both quite small compared to some other provinces of Tamriel, are right next to each other, and bear similar themes as well. Quite some history between those two.

Either way, right now my eyes are looking towards the new Fallout rather than the new Elder Scrolls.

Please make another Fallout, Obisidan.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
That's, uh, that's good. I guess I have no objections to this. Good work, Bethesda. Keep doing that thing you're doing. Will Three Dog be in it?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Betheda generally starts working very early on on new TES titles. So that would be my guess, I'd say they were actually probably on it since Skyrim launched or so.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I can live with them being done, but then I just got all the DLC in one swoop last month (or was it the month before?) and have plenty to do for now. I can understand the blow it might be to people who already have had that and were looking forward to more though and I'm pretty sure there is a connection between what they had to do to get the PS3 content ported over and the lack of additional content - just in figuring the resources that probably ate up.

They had better have Fallout or whatever they are making on the PS3 though. We've stuck with them through Fallout 3 / NV lag and crash issues, Skyrim lag, crash, file deletion, and delayed content issues. If they drop us on their next title I predict the Internet will rage loudly. Maybe not so loudly as the ME3 ending, but pretty darn loudly I think. Guess we'll have to see in time when whatever the project is comes to light.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
redknightalex said:
spartandude said:
really?

I wouldn't consider the Oblivion DLC/expansions any better, even slightly worse, than what we have for Skyrim. Morrowind, on the other hand, was a time when expansions, not DLC, were made thus being better not only in size but in quality. And a Bethesda game buggy on consoles? Yeah, I never buy their games on console.

At least this will probably mean a GotY edition will come out soon-ish.
Il agree that the larger DLCs are better than those house things for oblivion (maybe not as good as horse armour) but in skyrim they kind of felt like over gloryfied Knights Of The Nine expansions that grew a bit tedious imo. and neither of them were any where near as good as The Shivering Isles, granted SI was amazing and you expect that quality constantly but still.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
Now, more crucially, what's this "next adventure" Bethesda mentioned? We've known about The Elder Scrolls Online for quite a while and if the blog post were referring to that game, why not simply mention it?
Zenimex Online Studios is making that one. They're all under the Zenimax publishing banner, but they're different developers.
If they're working with one of their existing franchises, then it's time for some more Fallout, I hope. I wouldn't mind awfully if they were to take what they do and apply it to a new IP/setting/genre.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I love Skyrim and have played it to death, but what I truly want is the next Bethesda Fallout game. This is terribly exciting news to me, it makes all the sense in the world that the next game will be Fallout 4. I'm sure it will be a few years before it shows up, at least a couple. They always take the time they need on these projects, and thats great! The team has always delivered in the past, I'm so excited to see what they can do with the experience Skyim earned them.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well this is upsetting. I thought we'd get at least one more decent sized pack for Skyrim. Oh well.
At least we'll (probably) be getting some new Fallout! :D

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Fallout 4 is in the works, of course it is, they made quite a bit of money with fallout 3 and the slightly shady contract with Obsidian. Seriously, if you honestly sign a contract that makes your Bonus depend on a Metacritic score you may have taken your gambling habit way too far.

But whatever, Bethesda is making big strides in storytelling so i'm excited to see what they've got in store for Fallout 4.
If wish they had less Bugs in their Games. Skyrim ran better then Fallout 3 and even Oblivion as far as i'm concerned. Still, it's better on the Bugfront then anything that Obsidian ever produced.

I wish they'd hire some People from Obsidian who where responsible for Character design in New Vegas. Then again, the Characters in Skyrim where quite a bit better then those in fallout 3. Well, we'll see.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
newwiseman said:
For the love of all that is holy MORE Fallout, I've ground Fallout 3 into a fine powder and need more, give me a fix man give me a fix.
I'd rather Obsidian took on another Fallout,
IMO New Vegas is superior to Fallout 3 IMO

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
It may be done making new Skyrim content but does this mean we won't get a 5th year Anniversary edition? In all seriousness, I haven't played any of the DLC yet. I may eventually but I haven't played any yet.
hearthfire is mainly just a build your own house and adopt a kid to train them to be a mass murdering psychopath in the near future.

but mostly just a build your own house DLC.

no, you actually have to build your house, making nails and shit.

Dawnguard was okay, playing Skyrim with the sun gone gives an entirely different feel, and Vampire characters will get a lot of feels when they can walk around and not worry about the sun killing them.

Haven't brought myself to try out Dragonborn yet, been meaning to but....

Mass Effect 3: The Citadel, Defiance, and Battlefield 3 all have thoroughly dragged my ass away from Skyrim.

it almost got better, then I decided to get Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening, and 2.

[small]someone please help me, why cant I play all these games?![/small]

OT: it had better be the next Fallout, and it better have both a Hardcore mode and ADS from New Vegas.

Maybe a better VATS system that doesn't make you feel like the Death God of the Wastes that you eventually turn out to be [seriously, one hit kill headshots with a silenced .22 pistol on nearly everything, what the hell?].

if that isn't the case I will post on forums raging that Bethesda has abandoned the franchise and that Interplay should get the IP back.

[small]or if I am right, I will still rage that Interplay should get the IP back because I am a gamer, as such I am never satisfied with games and developers can never win.[/small]

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Paradoxrifts said:
Bethesda.

Do not torpedo yourself by throwing your hat into the MMORPG market, please?
They aren't. Because despite what the original post said, Bethesda isn't making the MMO. Their parent company, Zenimax, created a whole new team to make the Elder Scrolls MMO, and Bethesda's only role in that is as consultation for the lore.

So Bethesda's other project has nothing to do with the MMO at all.

On the original topic, I am disappointed that there shall be no more DLC for Skyrim. Dragonborn was awesome, and I would've loved at least one more like that.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Bethesda is moving on to its "next adventure," meaning the company won't create any more content for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
I'm going to have to say good. Skyrim was a good game but when it comes down to it, it's done. It's not an MMO where you expect to have more and more content added to the end. It's a single player game where you become a hero, beat the bad guy, finish the story, and are finished. For those who want to wander around the place having the most powerful and famous person in Skyrim do a bunch more random quests there are plenty of mods to let you do that, but I'd much rather see the official game finished and left alone than have an endless stream of increasingly silly bigger bosses to threaten the world.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
bigfatcarp93 said:
Interesting idea, but personally I'm hoping TESVI takes place in Hammerfell. There are a few dangling plot threads regarding the Great War I'd like to see tied off, and as Skyrim's Viking aesthetic proved, using a location based on a real-world historical setting other than "generic medieval" yields some pretty impressive results.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
spartandude said:
really?

Oblivion had ONE real expansion pack, KotN was just a content pack like the houses. Solstheim and the Apocrypha look WAY better than the Isles ever did, and Morrowind's expansions were great, yes, but they were also made at a time when voice acting wasn't needed, and a whole world of textures could be churned out in a week by one or two people

Plus, Tribunal and Dawnguard are both narrow tunnel-travels, Bloodmoon and Dragonborn are both on Solstheim.

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Here's for hoping they've finished a Cyrodiil DLC and they're just waiting to release it. If not then modders I think will eventually get Cyrodiil on Creation Engine.

The standard assumption of FO4 in the works excites me in any case.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Awesome, it means the next big thing is on the way. Considering that it'll be on the next gen of machines, that makes me happy since no DLC can go to the ps3 now anyways. So they've been missing out on DLC money thanks to Sony's constrictive asset categories crashing the system with Bethesda games.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Yay!! Maybe we'll have decent guilds with decent quests and better implemented crafting. Hopefully the world won't feel as shallow as Skyrim. And maybe we won't be the 'Chosen One', because I am getting sick of that storyline tidbit. That was why I liked Oblivion.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
Yay!! Maybe we'll have decent guilds with decent quests and better implemented crafting. Hopefully the world won't feel as shallow as Skyrim. And maybe we won't be the 'Chosen One', because I am getting sick of that storyline tidbit. That was why I liked Oblivion.
The difference was capability of the consoles. Oblivion was designed in-line with consoles of that generation. It was a leap graphically but not coming close to exceeding the capabilities of the new console.

You'll notice that the ps3 version of Skyrim did not really work on a lot of ps3's for something like 5 months after release (they were scrambling for patches that whole time). This was because the ps3 forces developers to break up assets into various asset categories and if any one asset bloats too much then the system will crash.

All this is to say, that Skyrim was graphically demanding and so the scale/depth of the world had to be compromised to deliver a beautiful world. This is how systems with 512mb RAM and a half-a-decade-old processors were able to play a game with that kind of quality.

On the next system, you're talking about no longer having the asset category contraints on the ps4 and machines that are multiple times more powerful than current gen. They have no excuse for making the next world shallow.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
putowtin said:
newwiseman said:
I'd rather Obsidian took on another Fallout,
IMO New Vegas is superior to Fallout 3 IMO
And I hated New Vegas compared to Fallout 3... the "hardcore" mode was welcome out of the box but nothing that mods hadn't already made available on PC.

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
Man, this absolutely sucks. From a lore perspective, the Dragonborn is probably the single most important (and powerful) main character any Elder Scrolls game has ever had. He's mantling Talos for crying out loud! I would have really appreciated a DLC that tied up the Dragonborn's story, perhaps ending with his ascension into the Talos oversoul. Now it just feels like his story is hanging there, waiting for an ending that will never come.

Oh, well. Fallout 4.