Bethesda Claims It's Done With Skyrim

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bethesda Claims It's Done With Skyrim

Bethesda is moving on to its "next adventure," meaning the company won't create any more content for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Sad news for Skyrim fans: There's no more downloadable content in development for the game. After the Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn expansions, it seems that the development team wants to work on something else.

"Skyrim has been a labor of love for us since we started designing it in 2006," reads a new post on the official Bethesda blog. "We never imagined it would become the phenomenon it has. And that is because of you, the fans. It was all of you who made it a success. We can't thank you enough for embracing the game, spreading the word, and making it your own."

"For the last year and a half we've been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs. Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio's full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet."

Despite this, Bethesda claims that it will continue to support the game, issuing bug fixes and patches for the various versions of Skyrim as necessary. "We've invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it," the company claims.

While Bethesda is done with Skyrim, PC players at least have the wealth of user-generated content built by the Skyrim community to keep them busy for the next millennia. Console users have no such luck, but with the initial size of Skyrim coupled with the additions made by the game's three major DLC packs, there's plenty there to keep you occupied for quite some time.

Now, more crucially, what's this "next adventure" Bethesda mentioned? We've known about The Elder Scrolls Online for quite a while and if the blog post were referring to that game, why not simply mention it? This secrecy leads me to believe that Bethesda has another project in the works, one we don't know about, that the Skyrim team has been assigned to work on. It's too soon for another singleplayer Elder Scrolls game, but Bethesda does have another big RPG franchise that's due for a sequel at some point soon. A franchise with a more dedicated focus on guns and technology. A franchise that you might describe as "post-nuclear."

Ah, but that's just wishful thinking. I know as little about Bethesda's next project as any of you. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/15/moving-to-our-next-adventure/]

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Shame. Not as much DLC as I expected. Was hoping for one or two more packs.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
really?

c'mon bethesda. while DawnGuard and Dragonborn were good they werent great. nowhere near as good as the expansions for morrowind or oblivion.

not to mention its still buggy for consoles (PC has an unoffocial patch which is much better than the official updates)

dont get me wrong i love skyrim but it does feel like bethesda did phone it in a bit

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
FinalDream said:
This. I was hoping for one more big one like Dragonborn. Ahh well, mods it is then.

In other assumptions:

"FALLOUT! ... FALLOUT! ... FALLOUT! ..."

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Fair enough, they've put a lot of work into Skyrim.

Now, time to start praying to the Bethesda gods for Elder Scrolls: Blackmarsh...

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
May the Fallout Flame Wars begin. Again. Geez.

Also, don't be disappointed, Skyrim fans! If you made the wise choice and bought the game on PC, there's actually a pretty neat Bionicle total conversion mod for Skyrim [http://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-of-the-toa] in the works. It looks pretty neat.

I just felt that needed to be said. Up, up, and away!

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
For the love of all that is holy MORE Fallout, I've ground Fallout 3 into a fine powder and need more, give me a fix man give me a fix.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
FinalDream said:
There was "supposed" to be 5 in total. At least from what I remember, anyways. I'm willing to bet the whole PS3 fiasco had something to do with it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Elder Scrolls Online is being done by a completely different team. It was stated even before they got done with the Dragonborn Expansion for Skyrim.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
deathbydeath said:
May the Fallout Flame Wars begin. Again. Geez.

Also, don't be disappointed, Skyrim fans! If you made the wise choice and bought the game on PC, there's actually a pretty neat Bionicle total conversion mod for Skyrim [http://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-of-the-toa] in the works. It looks pretty neat.

I just felt that needed to be said. Up, up, and away!
I cannot believe I did not know about this sooner!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If it means they're moving on to Fallout 4, then I'll be one extremely happy chappy. Couldn't find myself giving much of a shit about Skyrim after one playthrough, so didn't bother with the DLC either.

However, I've been waiting for a new Fallout for quite some time :D

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
So they started work on Skyrim the same year Oblivion was released. It is not at all unreasonable that they have started work on the next Elder Scrolls game. I'm not saying that's where they are directing the whole team to or that ESVI is what they are referring to. I'm just saying it's not a ridiculous option.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I'm at an impasse with what they should do next. While it's pretty clear that they're working on Fallout 4, I feel that they don't need to make the next big thing. Skyrim, while big, was just really shallow and didn't give the player too much freedom on how to tackle certain scenarios, and had little to no meaningful benefits and consequences for your actions, and in the end they broke promises about a few features making it in the final game. But that sense of exploration... They just get it right. Perhaps they should work on an original IP that focuses on exploring a world mostly abandoned and unpopulated, resulting in few characters that you interact with? (Not Fallout)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It may be done making new Skyrim content but does this mean we won't get a 5th year Anniversary edition? In all seriousness, I haven't played any of the DLC yet. I may eventually but I haven't played any yet.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
This is actually good for console players.
It's a bit like Minecraft was a few updates ago.
*new content new content new content small bug fixes new content new content*

I'm totally okay with them taking some time to work on just fixes.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Honestly I guess it's fine. They already put a lot of effort into what they had. Dawn Guard and Dragonborn were a bit larger then their usual DLC packs. If they just want to focus full force on their next title so be it. Just make it awesome Bethesda.