Bethesda Claims It's Done With Skyrim

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Bethesda: Can we has Fallout 4 nows?
Kidding aside, you'd think they would have announced this sooner, like after Dragonborn was released. That weird gap in time suggests they were working on one more DLC, but decided to scrap it (or more likely integrate its content into TES: Online). A bit disappointed, but at least this means they'll probably be putting on the Game of the Year edition soon; I've got friends who are waiting for that.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
spartandude said:
really?

c'mon bethesda. while DawnGuard and Dragonborn were good they werent great. nowhere near as good as the expansions for morrowind or oblivion.

not to mention its still buggy for consoles (PC has an unoffocial patch which is much better than the official updates)

dont get me wrong i love skyrim but it does feel like bethesda did phone it in a bit
I wouldn't consider the Oblivion DLC/expansions any better, even slightly worse, than what we have for Skyrim. Morrowind, on the other hand, was a time when expansions, not DLC, were made thus being better not only in size but in quality. And a Bethesda game buggy on consoles? Yeah, I never buy their games on console.

At least this will probably mean a GotY edition will come out soon-ish.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
deathbydeath said:
May the Fallout Flame Wars begin. Again. Geez.

Also, don't be disappointed, Skyrim fans! If you made the wise choice and bought the game on PC, there's actually a pretty neat Bionicle total conversion mod for Skyrim [http://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-of-the-toa] in the works. It looks pretty neat.

I just felt that needed to be said. Up, up, and away!

That did need to be said. It'll be the first mod I get whenever I get Skyrim for PC whenever that happens

On topic:I'm willing to say goodbye to Skyrim if it means next gen FALLOUT!!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I hope they do not make another Fallout game as I do not believe Bethesda are able to capture the Fallout 'vibe' as well as Obsidian was able to. Then again I don't know if Obsidian will be keen to work alongside Bethesda once more considering the whole "no bonuses for Obsidian for New Vegas despite great sales figures because you scored 84 and not 85 on metacritic due to Q&A failures that Bethesda was responsiable for".

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I wonder if this has anything to do with the exclusivity contract Bethesda had with Microsoft.

Could it be that Microsoft was no longer willing to pay for the timed exclusive DLC and thus it was the end of all Skyrim DLC?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
tbh, i have enough mods to last me forever, not including the ones that have yet to exist since japan hasn't had its way with it completely yet

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
grigjd3 said:
So they started work on Skyrim the same year Oblivion was released. It is not at all unreasonable that they have started work on the next Elder Scrolls game.
Agreed.

Oblivion development started not long after Morrowind, in 2002, and released 2006; Conceptual work on Skyrim started not long after Oblivion, in 2006, and full development started 2008, for late 2011 release.

If they take a similar schedule then starting work now on the next Elder Scrolls would give a target of somewhere around a 2016 / 2017 release. I suppose its just an opinion, but I dont really understand the claim of
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's too soon for another singleplayer Elder Scrolls game
How long would they need to wait for it to not be too soon? Do they need to aim for a 2050 release?

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Man i cannot wait for the next fallout game! Bethesda quit beating around the bush I need some details! But then again take all the time you need I want it to be as nice as possible so don't rush it.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
On topic:I'm willing to say goodbye to Skyrim if it means next gen FALLOUT!!
Do you know how hard it is for that to show up in my messages and not comment on it?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Dr.Awkward said:
I'm at an impasse with what they should do next. While it's pretty clear that they're working on Fallout 4, I feel that they don't need to make the next big thing. Skyrim, while big, was just really shallow and didn't give the player too much freedom on how to tackle certain scenarios, and had little to no meaningful benefits and consequences for your actions, and in the end they broke promises about a few features making it in the final game. But that sense of exploration... They just get it right. Perhaps they should work on an original IP that focuses on exploring a world mostly abandoned and unpopulated, resulting in few characters that you interact with? (Not Fallout)
I think you're right about Bethesda and story telling. If Obsidian weren't so clearly pre-occupied I'd like to see a collaborative effort for Fallout 4, but that's not going to happen unless we want to wait like 5 years.

They've always got Dishonored. I do think it would be interesting to take it to a more open world level, but without the kind of depth they aren't equipped to create, I don't know.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
bigfatcarp93 said:
Fair enough, they've put a lot of work into Skyrim.

Now, time to start praying to the Bethesda gods for Elder Scrolls: Blackmarsh...
*slap* ...NO!...Elder Scrolls VI: ELSWEYR, not Blackmarsh! And no, don't say, "Oh, doesn't the mod "Moonpath to Elsweyr" count?" because no, it doesn't!

OT: Well, that sucks. I still love Skyrim and all of its DLCs, and I'm glad that they're going to continue to support it by fixing any glitches or bugs still present, but I'm sad that there won't be any more DLCs...even though it seems like there were going to be a few more left...

Still, this does give me an excuse to start downloading a few mods I've had my eyes on; I was afraid that future DLCs would conflict with the ones I wanted. Now that Bethesda said that there aren't going to be any more, I can download without fear...but not without scrutiny, of course.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This is horrible news for my Female Khajiit on the console version. I had pre ordered this game in part so my Female Khajiit could marry another Female Khajiit. I was hoping that Bethesda would correct these issues they created via DLC.

Once the GOTY / Ultimate version of Skyrim arrives my Female Khajiit will be replaced by a Female Argonian who will marry a Male Dark Elf. Most likely Revyn Sadri.

My Female Khajiit will return in Skyrim GOTY / Ultimate for Steam.... After the 6th Single Player TES is available.... Partly a safety precaution.... And when she does.... All Lesbian Khajiit Group Marriage.... Thanks Skyrim Mods....

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
LG Jargon said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Fair enough, they've put a lot of work into Skyrim.

Now, time to start praying to the Bethesda gods for Elder Scrolls: Blackmarsh...
*slap* ...NO!...Elder Scrolls VI: ELSWEYR, not Blackmarsh! And no, don't say, "Oh, doesn't the mod "Moonpath to Elsweyr" count?" because no, it doesn't!
Why not both? Why settle for one province... when we could have two? Have the game take place in an area encompassing both Blackmarsh and Elsweyr, with the player able to freely step back and forth. Give it a story-driven name like Oblivian had, and boom. Next Elder Scrolls game, with not only an utterly unique visual aesthetic, but TWO utterly unique visual aesthetics.

Captcha: Chow Down

Yeah, this sounds like a game I'd really like to bite into...

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Strange they didn't make this announcement four months ago when Dragonborn had just released. This whole time I was expecting at least one more DLC.

Ah well, all good things must come to an end... and make room for Fallout 4, as the saying commonly goes.

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
Why not both? Why settle for one province... when we could have two? Have the game take place in an area encompassing both Blackmarsh and Elsweyr, with the player able to freely step back and forth. Give it a story-driven name like Oblivian had, and boom. Next Elder Scrolls game, with not only an utterly unique visual aesthetic, but TWO utterly unique visual aesthetics.

Captcha: Chow Down

Yeah, this sounds like a game I'd really like to bite into...
I agree partly, but it would be rather awkward combining Elsweyr and Blackmarsh, since there's a small patch of Cyrodil in between them. In my opinion, it would make much more sense to combine Valenwood and Elsweyr. They're both quite small compared to some other provinces of Tamriel, are right next to each other, and bear similar themes as well. Quite some history between those two.

Either way, right now my eyes are looking towards the new Fallout rather than the new Elder Scrolls.

Please make another Fallout, Obisidan.