Bethesda Claims It's Done With Skyrim

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
That's, uh, that's good. I guess I have no objections to this. Good work, Bethesda. Keep doing that thing you're doing. Will Three Dog be in it?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Betheda generally starts working very early on on new TES titles. So that would be my guess, I'd say they were actually probably on it since Skyrim launched or so.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I can live with them being done, but then I just got all the DLC in one swoop last month (or was it the month before?) and have plenty to do for now. I can understand the blow it might be to people who already have had that and were looking forward to more though and I'm pretty sure there is a connection between what they had to do to get the PS3 content ported over and the lack of additional content - just in figuring the resources that probably ate up.

They had better have Fallout or whatever they are making on the PS3 though. We've stuck with them through Fallout 3 / NV lag and crash issues, Skyrim lag, crash, file deletion, and delayed content issues. If they drop us on their next title I predict the Internet will rage loudly. Maybe not so loudly as the ME3 ending, but pretty darn loudly I think. Guess we'll have to see in time when whatever the project is comes to light.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
redknightalex said:
spartandude said:
really?

c'mon bethesda. while DawnGuard and Dragonborn were good they werent great. nowhere near as good as the expansions for morrowind or oblivion.

not to mention its still buggy for consoles (PC has an unoffocial patch which is much better than the official updates)

dont get me wrong i love skyrim but it does feel like bethesda did phone it in a bit
I wouldn't consider the Oblivion DLC/expansions any better, even slightly worse, than what we have for Skyrim. Morrowind, on the other hand, was a time when expansions, not DLC, were made thus being better not only in size but in quality. And a Bethesda game buggy on consoles? Yeah, I never buy their games on console.

At least this will probably mean a GotY edition will come out soon-ish.
Il agree that the larger DLCs are better than those house things for oblivion (maybe not as good as horse armour) but in skyrim they kind of felt like over gloryfied Knights Of The Nine expansions that grew a bit tedious imo. and neither of them were any where near as good as The Shivering Isles, granted SI was amazing and you expect that quality constantly but still.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
Now, more crucially, what's this "next adventure" Bethesda mentioned? We've known about The Elder Scrolls Online for quite a while and if the blog post were referring to that game, why not simply mention it?
Zenimex Online Studios is making that one. They're all under the Zenimax publishing banner, but they're different developers.
If they're working with one of their existing franchises, then it's time for some more Fallout, I hope. I wouldn't mind awfully if they were to take what they do and apply it to a new IP/setting/genre.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I love Skyrim and have played it to death, but what I truly want is the next Bethesda Fallout game. This is terribly exciting news to me, it makes all the sense in the world that the next game will be Fallout 4. I'm sure it will be a few years before it shows up, at least a couple. They always take the time they need on these projects, and thats great! The team has always delivered in the past, I'm so excited to see what they can do with the experience Skyim earned them.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well this is upsetting. I thought we'd get at least one more decent sized pack for Skyrim. Oh well.
At least we'll (probably) be getting some new Fallout! :D

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Fallout 4 is in the works, of course it is, they made quite a bit of money with fallout 3 and the slightly shady contract with Obsidian. Seriously, if you honestly sign a contract that makes your Bonus depend on a Metacritic score you may have taken your gambling habit way too far.

But whatever, Bethesda is making big strides in storytelling so i'm excited to see what they've got in store for Fallout 4.
If wish they had less Bugs in their Games. Skyrim ran better then Fallout 3 and even Oblivion as far as i'm concerned. Still, it's better on the Bugfront then anything that Obsidian ever produced.

I wish they'd hire some People from Obsidian who where responsible for Character design in New Vegas. Then again, the Characters in Skyrim where quite a bit better then those in fallout 3. Well, we'll see.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
newwiseman said:
For the love of all that is holy MORE Fallout, I've ground Fallout 3 into a fine powder and need more, give me a fix man give me a fix.
I'd rather Obsidian took on another Fallout,
IMO New Vegas is superior to Fallout 3 IMO

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Paradoxrifts said:
Bethesda.

Do not torpedo yourself by throwing your hat into the MMORPG market, please?
They aren't. Because despite what the original post said, Bethesda isn't making the MMO. Their parent company, Zenimax, created a whole new team to make the Elder Scrolls MMO, and Bethesda's only role in that is as consultation for the lore.

So Bethesda's other project has nothing to do with the MMO at all.

On the original topic, I am disappointed that there shall be no more DLC for Skyrim. Dragonborn was awesome, and I would've loved at least one more like that.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Bethesda is moving on to its "next adventure," meaning the company won't create any more content for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
I'm going to have to say good. Skyrim was a good game but when it comes down to it, it's done. It's not an MMO where you expect to have more and more content added to the end. It's a single player game where you become a hero, beat the bad guy, finish the story, and are finished. For those who want to wander around the place having the most powerful and famous person in Skyrim do a bunch more random quests there are plenty of mods to let you do that, but I'd much rather see the official game finished and left alone than have an endless stream of increasingly silly bigger bosses to threaten the world.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
bigfatcarp93 said:
Why not both? Why settle for one province... when we could have two? Have the game take place in an area encompassing both Blackmarsh and Elsweyr, with the player able to freely step back and forth. Give it a story-driven name like Oblivian had, and boom. Next Elder Scrolls game, with not only an utterly unique visual aesthetic, but TWO utterly unique visual aesthetics.
Interesting idea, but personally I'm hoping TESVI takes place in Hammerfell. There are a few dangling plot threads regarding the Great War I'd like to see tied off, and as Skyrim's Viking aesthetic proved, using a location based on a real-world historical setting other than "generic medieval" yields some pretty impressive results.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
spartandude said:
really?

c'mon bethesda. while DawnGuard and Dragonborn were good they werent great. nowhere near as good as the expansions for morrowind or oblivion.

not to mention its still buggy for consoles (PC has an unoffocial patch which is much better than the official updates)

dont get me wrong i love skyrim but it does feel like bethesda did phone it in a bit
Oblivion had ONE real expansion pack, KotN was just a content pack like the houses. Solstheim and the Apocrypha look WAY better than the Isles ever did, and Morrowind's expansions were great, yes, but they were also made at a time when voice acting wasn't needed, and a whole world of textures could be churned out in a week by one or two people

Plus, Tribunal and Dawnguard are both narrow tunnel-travels, Bloodmoon and Dragonborn are both on Solstheim.

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Here's for hoping they've finished a Cyrodiil DLC and they're just waiting to release it. If not then modders I think will eventually get Cyrodiil on Creation Engine.

The standard assumption of FO4 in the works excites me in any case.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Awesome, it means the next big thing is on the way. Considering that it'll be on the next gen of machines, that makes me happy since no DLC can go to the ps3 now anyways. So they've been missing out on DLC money thanks to Sony's constrictive asset categories crashing the system with Bethesda games.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Yay!! Maybe we'll have decent guilds with decent quests and better implemented crafting. Hopefully the world won't feel as shallow as Skyrim. And maybe we won't be the 'Chosen One', because I am getting sick of that storyline tidbit. That was why I liked Oblivion.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
Yay!! Maybe we'll have decent guilds with decent quests and better implemented crafting. Hopefully the world won't feel as shallow as Skyrim. And maybe we won't be the 'Chosen One', because I am getting sick of that storyline tidbit. That was why I liked Oblivion.
The difference was capability of the consoles. Oblivion was designed in-line with consoles of that generation. It was a leap graphically but not coming close to exceeding the capabilities of the new console.

You'll notice that the ps3 version of Skyrim did not really work on a lot of ps3's for something like 5 months after release (they were scrambling for patches that whole time). This was because the ps3 forces developers to break up assets into various asset categories and if any one asset bloats too much then the system will crash.

All this is to say, that Skyrim was graphically demanding and so the scale/depth of the world had to be compromised to deliver a beautiful world. This is how systems with 512mb RAM and a half-a-decade-old processors were able to play a game with that kind of quality.

On the next system, you're talking about no longer having the asset category contraints on the ps4 and machines that are multiple times more powerful than current gen. They have no excuse for making the next world shallow.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
putowtin said:
newwiseman said:
For the love of all that is holy MORE Fallout, I've ground Fallout 3 into a fine powder and need more, give me a fix man give me a fix.
I'd rather Obsidian took on another Fallout,
IMO New Vegas is superior to Fallout 3 IMO
And I hated New Vegas compared to Fallout 3... the "hardcore" mode was welcome out of the box but nothing that mods hadn't already made available on PC.

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
Man, this absolutely sucks. From a lore perspective, the Dragonborn is probably the single most important (and powerful) main character any Elder Scrolls game has ever had. He's mantling Talos for crying out loud! I would have really appreciated a DLC that tied up the Dragonborn's story, perhaps ending with his ascension into the Talos oversoul. Now it just feels like his story is hanging there, waiting for an ending that will never come.

Oh, well. Fallout 4.